Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damming a Natural Waterfall  (Read 3100 times)

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damming a Natural Waterfall
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:35 am »

So, after seeing Baboonanza's giga dam in his 3d Visual Fortress thread, I sought out a good site to build a dam.  Since water won't back up past the fortress's tiles, and the rivers in DF don't seem to have a gradient, I figured the best solution was to find a suitable waterfall in with a long gorge.

The forum is surprisingly sparse on natural waterfall sites, so I slodged through and found a fun little area that suits my needs, after some modifications:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The area I am excavating needs to be removed to join the gorge and the depression.  I'm going to dig the whole reservoir down to a tapered cross section so it can fill faster (less evaporation) and to expose bedrock to mine for the damn.

Other than a massive hydromechanical power plant, any suggestions on what I can do with the amount of water this will create?  I DO have a magma pipe, so a mass-scale obsidian industry strikes me as a possibility, plus the absurd amount of fish this will create in the spring may spawn a sizable prepared meals industry.

This map freezes, BTW.  With more work after the first dam is finished, I can enlarge the original waterfall's gorge and make a second reservoir and dam or expand the first with a second dam.  The fortress area you see now is temporary; when I get some more laborers I'm going to start building a proper fort with the necessary equipment and form to work with the dam.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Damming a Natural Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:23:26 am »

Nice  ;D

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:59:19 pm »

I tried making a dam once, in a 39 z-level gorge with a major river. I didn't make it one year due to lag.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:30:08 pm »

I tried making a dam once, in a 39 z-level gorge with a major river. I didn't make it one year due to lag.

If I was a millionaire I would first give Toady a million to keep on working and then I would buy a supercomputer so I could run a 1000 dwarf fortress on a waterfall with a solid 100 FPS.

On the bright side, a few years from now we'll hopefully have computers that powerful we can buy normally.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:23:31 pm »

You know... if you did the dam right, you could have many waterwheels inside it, generating thousands of points of power...

Not sure what you would DO with it.... but you could provide cheap, renewable analog power to the entire dwarven nation!

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »

You know... if you did the dam right, you could have many waterwheels inside it, generating thousands of points of power...

Not sure what you would DO with it.... but you could provide cheap, renewable analog power to the entire dwarven nation!

attach a lodestone to that main drive shaft for some xcore arc welding at the metalsmith's forge

budapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:43:18 am »

If there is an effectively unlimited source of water in both time and spice (e.g. an aquifier), you never can have enough power. Shooting sieges with beams of water from the other side of the map? Hell yeah. Or shooting the goddamn water right from the map, who cares. As long as it's awesome and kills your FPS, go for it.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »

For the love of all that is Dwarvenly, Keep us updated. I LOVED the look of Baboonanza's dam, and I'd love to see how yours turns out...
Also, would it be a crime to ask you to upload the world for us?

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »

Oh, wow.  That looks like a nice project.  It also looks like it can go wrong fairly easily if you're not careful, but that might just be me and my poor track record with water talking.  :P

It certainly does look like it'll be very impressive once it's done.  I'd love to see the final product in Visual Fortress.  :)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:01:55 pm »

I'm curious, so could anyone provide a link to this baboonza's dam post?  My search-fu is weak.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:05:49 pm »

I'm curious, so could anyone provide a link to this baboonza's dam post?  My search-fu is weak.

They're presumably referring to <a href="http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39541.0>this post[/url].

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:31:29 am »

Thanks.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 01:17:41 am »

Have 2 waterwheel sets in it; Have the water actually flow through the dam and out spigots. It's not efficient, but if done right it should look more than awesome.

Make sure the spigots are at the z-level you want the water to max out at.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."