Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What if... the king/queen dies of old age, but not at your fortress?  (Read 962 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know this could go in the DF questions thread, but it's not a 'I need help with ___' kind of question and is more of something to think about.

A bit of a backstory here, I'm looking at the legends and stuff to try and help decide between two possible worldgen sites that the ultra sitefinder found. So, I looked at the civilization nearest my embark site for the worldgen I'm looking at which happens to be a pretty huge civilization, especially considering the fact that the worldgen has only gone for 300 years. I was looking at it as I was just curious (aren't we all?) and I was a bit confused when there wasn't a king for a long time. In fact, the current king became king in 218 and he was born in 181. It is now 302 I believe since I made a temporary crap fortress as I was trying to figure out something with visual fortress. So, that means he is 121 at this time. Dwarves generally live 150-170 years (I've heard a few people say that some dwarves lived longer than that, but there are RL people who have lived for over a century, so it's plausible), so I'm not afraid that he will conk out on me from old age. However, this brought up a thought, what if the regent (king/queen) was very old (I don't think they retire due to old age, yet) and they died of old age before appearing at your fortress.

I know that if they die at your fortress, they don't get replaced. Liasons don't get replaced I think, but the details on this aren't clear on this since they only appear in worldgen, BUT the world still changes even while you're in fortress mode and that makes me think, wouldn't the king's/queen's successor take their place when they die?

While the wiki says they won't get replaced, it conflicts with what some people have said.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What if... the king/queen dies of old age, but not at your fortress?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:02 am »

I am not sure on this exact case, but in general..

Worldgen stops everywhere except at your fortress(Saving computer processing power for the cats), so I think he will arrive being the same age regardless of you getting him in year 1 from finding something shiny, or in year 10 from meeting all requirements.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:22 pm »

Worldgen stops everywhere except at your fortress(Saving computer processing power for the cats), so I think he will arrive being the same age regardless of you getting him in year 1 from finding something shiny, or in year 10 from meeting all requirements.

Probably this, but he may drop dead as soon as he shows up at the fort.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:07:54 pm »

I thought legends had shown towns rise and fall while forts are up?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:22:11 pm »

Yeah I'm fairly sure that while adventurer mode pretty much freezes all political action, changes can still occur with fortresses. I remember the Ages changing during one of my forts, so I expect the change resulted from a siege or a battle somewhere else.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:45:16 pm »

Adventure mode can change things too.
I once plunged a world in the Age of Elves back into the Age of Myth by killing off most of the elves.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:23:40 pm »

Adventure mode can change things too.
I once plunged a world in the Age of Elves back into the Age of Myth by killing off most of the elves.

Nice.

Other than badass stuff like that I still don't believe other histories occur during adventure mode; the ages shifted thanks to you, while in my fort I believe the age shifted from the influences of others.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:41:30 pm »

Ages shift depending on whether there are any civs of certain races. If only elves, humans, or dwarves are left, it's their age. If it's none of those then there will be cyclopses and giants, so is age of Myth.

If you somehow destroy a civ in Fortress mode, the age could change.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:42:38 pm »

The Army Arc should bring invasions, and with it world-changing ages!