Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] engineers build unsupported stacked screw pumps  (Read 1308 times)

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
[40d] engineers build unsupported stacked screw pumps
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:21:57 am »

I'm building extremely tall screw pump towers, like so:

(side view)
O_XX O
O XX_O
O_XX O
O XX_O
O_XX O
etc.
O wall     _ floor     XX screw pump

I'm able to queue multiple pumps from the bottom up, where each pump thinks it is supported by the queued pump below it. However, I have three engineers working on the task, and I noticed that screw pump parts were ending up where they didn't belong (e.g. behind the blocked end of built pumps). It seems that my engineers are building pumps before the one under it is built, causing them to burst into their component parts because they're not actually supported.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] engineers build unsupported stacked screw pumps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50:41 pm »

I'm building extremely tall screw pump towers, like so:

(side view)
O_XX O
O XX_O
O_XX O
O XX_O
O_XX O
etc.
O wall     _ floor     XX screw pump

I'm able to queue multiple pumps from the bottom up, where each pump thinks it is supported by the queued pump below it. However, I have three engineers working on the task, and I noticed that screw pump parts were ending up where they didn't belong (e.g. behind the blocked end of built pumps). It seems that my engineers are building pumps before the one under it is built, causing them to burst into their component parts because they're not actually supported.
so you can start building pumps on top of pumps that aren't finished.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:52:25 am »

This may be similar to trying to build a floor between some grates. I got a few cave in messages for some reason and it was because the floor was deconstructing itself when the dwarves were doing it away from the solid floor. Nobody was hurt in the proccess (aside from choking on dust) and I had to build it one tile at a time from the cavern floor.

I guess they were treating the grates like they were a solid connectable floor, but it doesn't work from a building standpoint.

It's just one of those little quirks that are scattered all over DF.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:06:59 pm »

There's a few issues where existing constructions are assumed to provide support when in fact they don't; bridges are a notorious example here. However, that's different from what the OP is reporting, in which scheduled-to-be-constructed objects are assumed to provide support.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:55 pm »

The thing is though that if you try to make a floor between grates, you have to connect it to a solid floor (whether natural or constructed), it will say not valid. Yet when the dwarves build it, they treat the grates like a normal floor and when they try to build the constructed floor 'unsupported', it collapses.

I was trying to make one big drainage grate over a hole for a cistern, but ended up having to do alternating rows of grates and floors, which worked well enough.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:58:27 pm »

maybe it's just me but is not the easiest way to solve this is to simply build them one at a time? i mean don't start the ones above until the ones below are done.
Back to Mafia with me!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:42:50 pm »

maybe it's just me but is not the easiest way to solve this is to simply build them one at a time? i mean don't start the ones above until the ones below are done.

Yes, that's a good workaround for the bug that this thread is reporting.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:13:38 am »

Yeah, that's what I did when I realized that what I was doing wasn't working. Reported as a bug all the same.

I've had fun with the bridge and grate bugs too, which happen with things that have been built. In a previous fortress I lost my most valuable dwarf when I attempted to build a platform over the ocean, connected to the mainland by a long bridge. The mermaids idly watched as he made a heroic attempt to swim to shore. A year or two later I drowned them by draining the ocean.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »

The problem isn't only with pumps; this happens when you try to build a water wheel over water before an axel or gear assembly on ground next to it is actually constructed. 

The dwarves should wait to build it until all necessary supports are not merely designated but actually constructed; it doesn't do that, and therein lies the problem.  Basically, we should be able to do what the OP did, but the dwarves should automatically build in the proper order.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:12 am »

Basically, we should be able to do what the OP did, but the dwarves should automatically build in the proper order.
Not only should we be able to do it with pumps, it should be possible for any planned construction to support more planned constructions. I'm thinking particularly of designating large sections of floor and walls to be built over open air without having to wait for part of it to complete before designating the next part.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 01:27:17 pm »

Basically, we should be able to do what the OP did, but the dwarves should automatically build in the proper order.
Not only should we be able to do it with pumps, it should be possible for any planned construction to support more planned constructions. I'm thinking particularly of designating large sections of floor and walls to be built over open air without having to wait for part of it to complete before designating the next part.

QFT

I suspect that the reason it doesn't work for floors is not that it is unsupported, but rather that there is no access to building materials.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »

All I can say is: suspend the building of higher pumps until the lower ones are in place.  It's annoying, but you lose less stuff that way.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster