Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas needed on (failed) tower design  (Read 1662 times)

kritik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • kritik.nl
Ideas needed on (failed) tower design
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:33:06 am »

So I've been working on a castle/city/cathedral project for quite a while now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All was going well untill I finished my microcline noble tower:

After I created that last image all my motivation was lost, the microcline tower was hideous beyond belief and I was completely out of ideas for mending it. It has been about a week since I last touched this fortress.
I come here in need of ideas on how to solve my problem; for me the only solution I can think of is collapsing the entire thing and forgetting about it, but this is ofcourse the easy (non dwarven) solution. So my question to you is: what can I do to save this tower? The amount of work needed for saving it does not matter, all help is appreciated!

Might be usefull to keep in mind my planned future expansions on this fortress: huge dragon face on main entry, towers on corners will be much higher, highten cathedral, taj mahal on top of cathedral and some sort of artificial magma lake in the sky. Especially that last one might be combinable with the formentioned tower.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas needed on (failed) tower design
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:45:17 am »

There is only one way:

Massive alter to Armok/kitten disposal chute.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:14 am »

Was this just a veiled excuse to show off your pedobear?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:08:40 am »

I'm thinking it is.

kritik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • kritik.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:43:43 am »

I'm thinking it is.

Well.. no.. but since you guys are interested here's a better view of him ;)
(pb was actually made to lure a 4chan addicted friend into playing df)

But seriously, what I'm trying to achieve is kickstarting my df inspiration with ideas I would've never thought of without the minds of thousands. Normally I do this by lurking and that has been going well for erm.. some years now..
This time however, I believe it requires a more personal touch. Something extremely evil like the formentioned kitten chute. Unfortunately I exterminated all my pets, don't trade and I am at the max of my population cap; I do however have lots of orcs available... So I need a way to combine a huge tower, orcs and magma while making sure it'll look good when done... *starts to think*

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:53:14 am »

Sink it. Sink it to the bottom z-level and build an execution plank over the hole. Put the masons who built this monstrosity near it to get sucked down with it. Decorate with fake blood and scary spikes. Send captured invaders to their deserved turquoise death,

kritik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • kritik.nl
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:59:44 am »

Sink it. Sink it to the bottom z-level and build an execution plank over the hole. Put the masons who built this monstrosity near it to get sucked down with it. Decorate with fake blood and scary spikes. Send captured invaders to their deserved turquoise death,

That actually sounds pretty awesome, but is this possible? I thought a collapsed construction would automatically disassemble; or is this different when collapsing into a liquid?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:21:17 am »

I'm thinking it is.

Nothing wrong with showing off memes built in DF.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:24:29 am »

That actually sounds pretty awesome, but is this possible? I thought a collapsed construction would automatically disassemble; or is this different when collapsing into a liquid?

It'll deconstruct into microcline, but it'll still be turqoise at the bottom of the pit. For extra points you could line the walls with microcline. Gotta be something satisfying about dropping people 30 or so z-levels onto a big heap of jagged microcline :D Not to mention how fun it'd be to see it falling

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:28:29 am »

Install Dig Deeper and make a tower made totally out of mithril!
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 08:32:47 am »

Shameless self-advertisement?  ::)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:45:11 am »

Shameless self-advertisement?  ::)

Me? Never!  ;D
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:56:58 am »

What 3d application are you using to do that with? I didnt think we were at the stage where the colour of walls came out.

kritik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • kritik.nl
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

It'll deconstruct into microcline, but it'll still be turqoise at the bottom of the pit. For extra points you could line the walls with microcline. Gotta be something satisfying about dropping people 30 or so z-levels onto a big heap of jagged microcline :D Not to mention how fun it'd be to see it falling

And a 39 z-lvl pit it is! Gonna leave a small pillar standing in the centre for them to crush down on hehe. *hoping for piles of splattered orc pieces* Maybe even some magmafalls on the outside/inside merging into a pool on the bottom surrounding the pillar for some added smoke effects!  ;D

What 3d application are you using to do that with? I didnt think we were at the stage where the colour of walls came out.

--> http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39541.0

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 11:04:37 am »

Thank you sir
Pages: [1] 2