Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pro and cons of starting in a friendly gobbo fortress  (Read 1999 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Pro and cons of starting in a friendly gobbo fortress
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:16:22 am »

Long after getting the dwarf heaven map, I decided to move slightly south of there to a nearbyy goblin fortress. I was ready for the bloodshed when....
 Nothing happened. It would seem that some humans, elves,?goblins?, and their weird "prisoners" had captured this fortress sometime in worldgen. the questions I am asking you are:
1:should I stay?
2:will the friendly gobbos stay put if their less passive mates show up?
3:what do I do with obsidian? Its not being used by my craftsdwarves or masons.
4:what happens if one of the friendlies dies during a Goblin seige? will they then beseige us?
5:will this fortress be fun in a I win sort of way, or a "fun" sort of way?
 And I will not slaughter the elves. they are far more useful as meatshields guards.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pro and cons of starting in a friendly gobbo fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:26:52 am »

1: if you want to. there is no problem just walling everyone in until you are ready to deal with them.

2: no, they should turn hostile when you are attacked. But I have heard tales of them not turning hostile.

3: you can do whatever you want, obsidian makes great swords, and also it is valuable so you can perhaps clear out the gobos and like in side of the dark towers.

4: if they are not already hostile during an attack they would not turn hostile if some die.

5: depends on what happens, but still “Fun” is still fun.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:58 am »

3: If you mean it's not available for use as a material, go to the "command screen" (z), and go to "stone." then look in until you find obsidian and turn it green.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:03:05 am »

I once played a similar game of Kobold Camp in an elf retreat.  The elves were all completely passive except I think I might have gotten attacked when my hunter killed a deer.  When my first elf siege showed up, though, the entire town laid waste to my tiny cutebolds before the siege was even halfway across the map.

I did manage to wall up the druid in a two story grated enclosure and drown her using buckets, though, so that was awesome.  I suggest that if you stay, you try walling up any goblins that might become incredibly dangerous if they were all to suddenly turn hostile.  If you don't want the added challenge, anyways.

Keep us updated on what happens if you do stay.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:07:39 am »

I think 2 and 4 are civ related. If the besieging goblins are from the same civ as the resident goblins, they'll attack. Otherwise, the resident goblins will fight with you if they come within aggro range of the besiegers. They also won't mind if you build homes in their tower and take their things (if they have any things).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:12:32 am »

I have decided to stay. as I said, there are humans and elves galore to take care of any Gobbo uprising that may occur, but I still think a military would be nice. now I'm wondering where the gobbos got friendly with the humans and elves. How would I find out?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:24:52 am »

Are you sure the humans and elves aren't part of the goblin society?  IIRC goblins do snatch babies that are raised to be (faux-)goblins.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:04:46 am »

they stand peacfully around the kitchens and on the roof tops. they're either peaceful or lost prophets (pun) :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:50:04 am »

Yeah, they're members of the goblin civ.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »

As has been stated, generally, when units are friendly by mistake on embark, they'll turn hostile as soon as their friends show up.

I once had a fort killed by orcs. I reclaimed, and the orcs were standing around Friendly... until the instant more orcs showed up, at which point they turned hostile and tried killing everything nearby, which included dwarves AND the orc invaders. Luckily there weren't many ex-friendlies inside the fort, so they got mobbed by nearby dwarves and taken down without a fuss.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 04:18:14 pm »

I abadoned the fortress. It was getting too difficult to keep my dwarves watered and It wasn't much fun waching them slowly die of thirst.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »

When my current fortress is finished I'm planning on doing a fortress on a goblin tower; if you can handle the FPS hit of all those extra gobbos running around when the first siege arrives it will be like a civil war. The two ways I can do it would be to build all of my things inside the dark fortress with the goblins, living alongside them as brothers and then carrying out the tragic civil war when it arrises OR building my entire fortress underground, and when the siege arrives, tunneling into the goblin towers and slaughtering them. I remember a quote about dwarves coming out of the walls; that's pretty badass.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:53:00 am »

I abadoned the fortress. It was getting too difficult to keep my dwarves watered and It wasn't much fun waching them slowly die of thirst.

What no booze?  was there no soil on the map?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »

I neglected to make booze until my carpenter was so thirsty he wouldent make any more barrels. the result was one very thirsty fortress. totally my bad. :-[
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:01:51 am »

Pro: lots of free stuff, weapons, possibly armor too if there are dwarves in the goblin civ, free high-quality aboveground fort to live in with easy defences
Con: all your worker dwarves getting slaughtered after a couple of years when you get a siege and you never got around to putting walls around the previous inhabitants..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: [1] 2