Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What the hell is wrong with Blizzard?!  (Read 4134 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with Blizzard?!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:35:25 am »

Ida know... I said it a thousand times:
Blizzard does NOT make cool games. Diablo hardly was a new concept and the game was rather bland. Sure I enjoyed it, I played it, I finished it (well, both actually), like everybody else. I played warcraft for a few hours, I never understood the hype, same with starcraft. Or why anybody claimed the blackthorne was in any way a good game, just to name one of the less known blizzard turds.

Then they made world of warcraft, the ultimate in flipping gamers the bird.

Seriously. I dont understand why blizzard has even the tiniest bit of "cool" reputation. It's a bunch of tards that made substandard games for what? Two decades? Almost three?

It's time the spotty nerds catch up, and if blizzard is helping them by charging for maps, so be it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:37:13 am by Puck »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 06:44:13 am »

Maybe alot can be learned by looking at the times before diablo/warcraft/starcraft. Yes blizzard made games before then!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 06:52:52 am »

That's why I mentioned Blackthorne.

Just to make sure I looked up their "games history" just to find out they made "rock and roll racing" as well as "the lost vikings". I totally forgot that. And I even knew that  ;D

Those two titles were sooooo friggin schweet, that blizzard has some sort of amnesty. But I think they might have used it up with WoW.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 06:57:18 am »

Hey, the more jokes you make about that monstrosity of a forum, the better... it gets us further from that pain.

and I can only hope that SC2 isn't as much of a blight as Vista.
The story is lovely as usual. The gameplay... is iffy. It definitely hasn't changed since the first game. I don't know about you, but I didn't particularly care for the gameplay in the first game. I just liked the prospect of space marines killing space bugs.

Now I've got games like SupCom, Company of Heroes, and Men of War which do the RTS genre so much more justice than the clickfest that is Starcraft. Seriously. If you're only considered pro if you can grab a marine and rapidly click in circles around a group of zerglings while you rapidly click on your SCVs to mine more crystal in a slightly different area or if you're able to memorize building patterns to the milisecond while rapidly clicking your worker unit around the enemy's base... yeah... not my kind of thing.

I'd pay to see what happens when you put a Korean SC champ into a SupCom match.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 07:06:54 am »

It takes a while to really appreciate SC. I used to think it's a crappy game, but when I started to see the beauty in it's balance I learned to appreciate it. I've never seen a game so finely balanced and yet so diverse.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 09:29:06 am »

Kagus: I seriously do not consider Company of Heroes to be twitchy, particularly because I prefer to play it with friends instead of online, so we can play however we like. Also the fact that I'm not required to run my units around in little oblongs while occasionally firing when attacking enemies is good. One thing for certain is that the interface in that game is way better than Starcraft (which is to be expected of course considering the age difference) and that's what I was talking about.
Wait. That's terrible. "Starcraft isn't fun because I only play online" and "Company of Heroes is fun because I only play with friends". Think about that for a second.
Playing with friends who understand the experience you all want to get (nice, cinematic battles) is entirely different than playing essentially tournament level matches where the way to win is rapidclicking and build order.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 09:42:34 am »

Starcraft is only fun for me with LAN, and decent maps off battlenet.
Eh?
Eh!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 10:03:52 am »

The only time I play StarCraft is when I'm playing LAN.  I heard about the LAN thing like a month ago, it sucks man.  I like StarCraft!   :(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 10:18:30 am »

Wait!  Oh no!  They're pulling a spore!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 11:14:49 am »

Hey, the more jokes you make about that monstrosity of a forum, the better... it gets us further from that pain.

and I can only hope that SC2 isn't as much of a blight as Vista.
The story is lovely as usual. The gameplay... is iffy. It definitely hasn't changed since the first game. I don't know about you, but I didn't particularly care for the gameplay in the first game. I just liked the prospect of space marines killing space bugs.

Now I've got games like SupCom, Company of Heroes, and Men of War which do the RTS genre so much more justice than the clickfest that is Starcraft. Seriously. If you're only considered pro if you can grab a marine and rapidly click in circles around a group of zerglings while you rapidly click on your SCVs to mine more crystal in a slightly different area or if you're able to memorize building patterns to the milisecond while rapidly clicking your worker unit around the enemy's base... yeah... not my kind of thing.

I'd pay to see what happens when you put a Korean SC champ into a SupCom match.

An idle ACU being bomber rushed because the owner was still reading all the tooltips for the first time.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 11:41:56 am »

If you read the article instead of raging, it says quality mappers will be asked to make premium maps. However any fool will know, these mappers will go - I do it for the fun - fuck you. They do it for the enjoyment, not because they get paid to do it. My dad is an awesome cook, when I tell him he should do it for a living, he says then it'd be too much like work.

haha....As a modder for simcity4, i and others were approached by monte cristo for ideas and input into their new release "cities xl". When it was leaked that they would be doing the above, ie asking for custom content then charging for it, they lost almost ALL support from the modding community. Like i'm going to spend 10 or 20 hours a week only to have someone else reap financial rewards. I have no problem contributing to a community but to directly contribute to some ceo's paycheck is just dumb. Where is my cut. If they actually set up a model so that the profit for the mod was shared between the company and creator i'd be all for it as i think most others would be, But thats what you can expect from greedy f@cks. We tried to point out to Monte Cristo that the only reason simcity4 still sells after seven years is because of the OUR contributions and love of the game, but they just see it as a revenue stream........in short their loss. Besides the final product is about to be released and it is far from good. It's not just blizzard....trust me.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »

Wait. That's terrible. "Starcraft isn't fun because I only play online" and "Company of Heroes is fun because I only play with friends". Think about that for a second.
Playing with friends who understand the experience you all want to get (nice, cinematic battles) is entirely different than playing essentially tournament level matches where the way to win is rapidclicking and build order.
I never said I play Starcraft online either. I play both with friends or in a cybercafe. And yes, Starcraft is still much more micro heavy even when playing casually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 12:07:13 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Blizzard separating the games by race(As in you need to buy three different games to be able to play every race) or simply separating the campaigns into three different games?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 12:08:35 pm »

The campaigns only. It does seem that the campaigns will all be fully fleshed with hours of play time, so I'm not really complaining there to be honest. The single player portion of the game looks excellent.

cib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »

You know, I never liked Blizzard that much, but there are, in fact, no big game companies I'd like, at all. I think, Blizzard is one of these companies that suck simply by being mainstream(once you start making games for the people out there, you will end up making crappy games, I mean, come on, LOOk at those people..), but among these companies, it is actually pretty good.

For example, they seem to care a bit about minorities, or atleast they don't suck up to Microsoft - There is a Mac version of WoW and most of their games support OpenGL, so I can actually play them on Linux. They also use Lua for scripting, instead of some crap like say, C#. It's not like Blizzard had to do it that way - If they only supported Windows, they probably would still make about 99% of their current profit. No, they simply do it because they're smart and don't want to depend on a large company which is currently ruining itself.

In contrast to that, there are many unusual games(indie games) that will completely rely on Microsoft and use shit like the Windows API, DirectX, .NET, etc. Maybe they just don't have the resources or experience to work with more reliable and compatible tools, but it really annoys me that someone who calls himself "independent" relies on Microsoft.

Second, as already said, Blizzard makes acceptable lore. I mean, they're mostly pretty cliché, any 10 year old who knows how fantasy/sci-fi stereotypes work could make stories like that, but hey, atleast they make stories that can be enjoyable following. The only problem is that they make linear stories(I think), so the player can't really influence much, and even the little possibilities they have to make the player feel like being in the gameworld they mess up. But, as said, they make enjoyable stories, and that's something rare in the mainstream game world.

Lastly, they manage not to be completely corrupt. I mean, they're corrupt, we all know that, I still don't know what they do with all that money - Maybe they smoke it, no idea. But at least, they will only force you to pay for nothing in some occasions, not in every occasion theoretically possible. Well, reading about that map purchasing stuff, that too seems to be changing, which is sad - But atleast it hasn't been that way in the past.

Anyway, you should get my point: Blizzard sucks, but it could suck worse =)
Pages: 1 [2] 3