Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What the hell is wrong with Blizzard?!  (Read 4145 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
What the hell is wrong with Blizzard?!
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:05:23 am »

Seriously?! Are they trying to test our loyalty or something. First they tell us Starcraft 2 will only have online and no LAN. Now they tell us that you have to BUY user made maps and mods from BNet?! Are they shitting me? Why would I do that?! The last thing I need is to be forced to pay dollars for maps that should be free in the first place! Can you imagine if Valve came out and told you they'd select the best TF2 maps and put them for sale instead with "a portion of the proceeds going to the creator"? How on earth are they going to explain themselves to the cybercafe and LAN gaming crowd? What happens when the creators inevitably find that they will get ripped off?

Source: http://kotaku.com/5343006/blizzard-you-may-sell-your-starcraft-2-maps-on-battlenet-eventually

Argh! Thank god I can't stand Starcraft's way of boring tedium micromanagement and rapidfire clicking or I'd be even more rage. I just need the single player...

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is wrong with Blizzard?!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:28:10 am »

If you read the article instead of raging, it says quality mappers will be asked to make premium maps. However any fool will know, these mappers will go - I do it for the fun - fuck you. They do it for the enjoyment, not because they get paid to do it. My dad is an awesome cook, when I tell him he should do it for a living, he says then it'd be too much like work.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:30 am »

To be honest, I lost faith in Starcraft 2 when I saw some of the gameplay videos.  Pardon me for being someone who likes innovation in RTS games.

I'm just waiting to see how they defile the Diablo series.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:01:40 am »

I like Blizzard... they make cool games.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:14 am »

I like Blizzard... they make cool games.
They just happen to become more dicks about it recently. Like Nintendo, they appear too busy snorting powdered thousand dollar bills to not annoy customers.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:08:09 am »

Oh, hey Duke! Good to see ya.

... I wander what powdered currency would do to the nasal cavity?
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:10:14 am »

Hey, long time no see. I was tempted to make another joke about not closing more forums, but that seemed out of taste. Not to mention the responsibility of it needs to be on everybody. Even new people who were not here for it. It is the only way for us to grow up.

And from what I hear from animated paper cartoons, it cures HIV.

Edit: Actually, the Vista comment makes sense. When people complained somebody up in sales started to smack around the engineers and windows 7 came out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:14:10 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 02:11:14 am »

Oh, hey Duke! Good to see ya.

... I wander what powdered currency would do to the nasal cavity?

Cause travesties like Vista?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 02:22:05 am »

Hey, the more jokes you make about that monstrosity of a forum, the better... it gets us further from that pain.

and I can only hope that SC2 isn't as much of a blight as Vista.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:52 am »

Hey, the more jokes you make about that monstrosity of a forum, the better... it gets us further from that pain.

and I can only hope that SC2 isn't as much of a blight as Vista.
The story is lovely as usual. The gameplay... is iffy. It definitely hasn't changed since the first game. I don't know about you, but I didn't particularly care for the gameplay in the first game. I just liked the prospect of space marines killing space bugs.

Now I've got games like SupCom, Company of Heroes, and Men of War which do the RTS genre so much more justice than the clickfest that is Starcraft. Seriously. If you're only considered pro if you can grab a marine and rapidly click in circles around a group of zerglings while you rapidly click on your SCVs to mine more crystal in a slightly different area or if you're able to memorize building patterns to the milisecond while rapidly clicking your worker unit around the enemy's base... yeah... not my kind of thing.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 03:01:23 am »

Yeah, I basically play Starcraft for the story as well.
And I do love that story.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 03:02:22 am »

Yeah, I basically play Starcraft for the story as well.
And I do love that story.
Indeed. Definitely looking forward to more of that delicious lore.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:10:18 am »

I still cling to the hope that Starcraft 2 will be a good game, despite all the signs pointing otherwise.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:27:16 am »

Now I've got games like SupCom, Company of Heroes, and Men of War which do the RTS genre so much more justice than the clickfest that is Starcraft. Seriously. If you're only considered pro if you can grab a marine and rapidly click in circles around a group of zerglings while you rapidly click on your SCVs to mine more crystal in a slightly different area or if you're able to memorize building patterns to the milisecond while rapidly clicking your worker unit around the enemy's base... yeah... not my kind of thing.

You don't see Company of Heroes as a micromanagement pain that relies heavily on building patterns and twitchy gameplay?  Please, please tell me how you play that game...  I would LOVE to finally see it live up to the cinematic potential it offers.  I'd like to see it in a light where infantry units aren't just used to rush stuff until you can spam tanks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 03:47:06 am »

Kagus: I seriously do not consider Company of Heroes to be twitchy, particularly because I prefer to play it with friends instead of online, so we can play however we like. Also the fact that I'm not required to run my units around in little oblongs while occasionally firing when attacking enemies is good. One thing for certain is that the interface in that game is way better than Starcraft (which is to be expected of course considering the age difference) and that's what I was talking about.

From what I've seen of Starcraft 2, the interface is frighteningly similar with the first game... which is very sad. I just hope they remove that nonsensical "you can only select a limited number of units at a time" thing.

Also, don't take it too harshly, but from what I've seen from your posts in my time here, you have a very bad history with RTSes.
Pages: [1] 2 3