Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Win  (Read 3564 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Win
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:41 pm »

The first person to build the Death Star in DF out of obsidian, with a huge magma cannon, will be legendary.

I SHALL DO IT!
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 09:39:01 pm »

They already made a star destroyer...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

But imagine a titanic, spherical fortress, held up by a single support which if destroyed would kill everything.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 09:10:23 am »

But imagine a titanic, spherical fortress, held up by a single support which if destroyed would kill everything.

Is that the Death Star, or a Katamari?  :D

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:29 am »

Less I'm remembering wrong, NASA uses old computers. Old reliable's better than new flaky, in their opinion.

Now, a meteorological computer on the other hand...

Space shuttles use old comuters, because there really isn't all that need to render 3D images or something in space. They have something like a powerful calculator on spaceships (not as strong as that TI-84 stuff, mind you).

Most of the new stuff do have more computing power though, like the mars rovers and stuff.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 01:14:16 pm »

Im gonna start today.Pray to the gods that i succed.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 01:24:48 pm »

I will be here at Arlington if you need me
*Takes out Bugle.*

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »

NASA likes to use really old computer equipment because it's more durable and less susceptible to cosmic radiation.  That second is actually the big one.  There's a LOT of radiation in space and with no ozone layer the protect it, you take the product that doesn't have a natural weakness to radiation.  Seriously, the Pentium 2 is basically the newest processor NASA uses.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 09:34:24 am »

Which means that astronauts can't play DF during those long, boring missions unless they bring their own laptops?  For shame!

@filiusenox:  <praying for successful venture.  Long live the Empire!>

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 09:57:18 am »

The computers NASA actually put in space, these days, are radiation-hardened.

This doesn't mean they're old. It means they're new, and designed with sufficient redundancy to handle any conceivable radiation damage; it means having a chip the size of a pentium four, with so much redundancy that it's the speed of a 386. It also means they put them in a radiation chamber for several weeks for "testing" before use.

(Oh, and they don't use the latest etching processes. 45nm may use less power than 200nm, but the latter can take a lot more damage.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:20 am »

Which means that astronauts can't play DF during those long, boring missions unless they bring their own laptops?  For shame!

Well, the entire point of it also means that if they brought laptops those would be fried by radiation after a few hours.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 11:20:35 am »

Well, no. The crew compartment is better shielded than that.

A more pressing issue would be that they couldn't power them. The shuttle has a strictly limited power budget. :P
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:36 pm »

Well, the entire point of it also means that if they brought laptops those would be fried by radiation after a few hours.
Not to mention NASA'd have to chuck a few experiments off the shuttle to balance the weight ledgers.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 01:12:35 pm »

Bring a laptop with a hand crank generator!

Solve the problems if fitness and boredom in space, all at once!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 02:47:47 am »

Wait, what type of radiation is that destroys equipment but astronauts still stay in one piece?
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.
Pages: 1 [2] 3