Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun simple mods  (Read 767 times)

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
Fun simple mods
« on: August 21, 2009, 03:09:16 pm »

I want to know of any funn simple to do mods that you guys have done, like exploding elves when they enter your map, or dwarfs not needing food or drinks, post em here andhow to do em ;D
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun simple mods
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »

Go to the init.txt and change the FPS_CAP: to 30. Really lets me slow down and enjoy the game at an everyman's type of pace.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:38:53 am »

This thread should be much more popular than it is.

I  like to take exotic creatures like giant dessert scorpions and tigers and make them into domestic creatures like grey cave scorpions. It didn't take to much effort to  put them into my graphics sets either.

The two Domestics I have now are Dwarven Hounds and Cave Tigers. Basically OP Dogs and cats to help me out as I'm learning how to survive the Orc mod. The cave tigers hunt skeletal alligators for fun. I also grabbed silk spiders from Teldins creature pack. Heres the file for all to use if it'll attract more people.  I'd love to know what others have done.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the thermonuclear catsplosion is a classic.
Spergs 4 life.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:27:15 am »

If you just read various threads in the DF Modding section I think you wil find a few nice things. Since people like to share their accomplishments.

Anyway...

There is 1 file that I discovered while using Mayday’s graphic pack and still use now that I went back to the normal ASCII version (mostly due to FPS being way better without)

Reaction_all_economic.txt (lets you choose which stones you want to use for construction purposes)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although if you use self modded stone types, be sure to dump them in the file as well.  ;D

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:53:25 am »

hu? i dont get it... what does that file do exactly? i mean, choosing the materials for a construction is already possible... you know, for example if you build a wall, it asks you for 1 item of building material per wall tile...
or did you mean something else?

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:32:44 am »

hu? i dont get it... what does that file do exactly? i mean, choosing the materials for a construction is already possible... you know, for example if you build a wall, it asks you for 1 item of building material per wall tile...
or did you mean something else?
You are absolutely right, for regular constructions from the b-C I can choose which material I use and already do this.

For me personally this file has 2 important Pro’s and 1 real Con.
1. Pro - In the b-C construction I no longer have to scroll passed pieces of stone I only have 5-6 rocks from and never intend to use.
2. Pro - I can choose which materials are allowed to be used for trade goods/furniture and stuff.
3. Con – Having to activate, b-C construct and de-activate a different material without leaving pause mode when I wish to use it.

I guess it is a play style, but it suites me and I like it this way.