Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40D11- strange crash possibly involving a previously reported bug  (Read 614 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The whole backstory to this is already posted in another thread, so I'll just repost it here.

The crash was occuring when I tried to load up the savegame I had at that time. I didn't get any error message besides the usual windows message about the program having a problem and closing (AKA crash). Things had gone wierd shortly before the crash, so something somehow broke. I thought maybe there was a duplicate somewhere but there wasn't. I checked with a quick worldgen and an embark and the game worked fine, so I know its something with that particular save.

Also, I have the region save, but I'm not sure how to upload it.

In my current fortress, I have a cave croc which I tamed and shows up as hostile. I know it did not attack because I basically herded it and a few snakemen and an olmman into the traps. The fact that I was able to herd them was surprising as I thought they would attack on sight. I think the olmman did make a threatening move, but backed off. I also tamed the giant toad which was in there and that one is fine. The giant toad actually did try to attack, but the dwarves outran it.

I don't think there is a female of either species on the map as I haven't gotten any ____ has given birth and I know there is an UG river somewhere, but both creatures live for decades, so I can wait for the elves to bring one. I just need to build an elf drowning chamber to make them stop bringing nothing but cloth....

Edit: Also, is there a way to make the hostile tag go away? Other than DC anyways.

Edit2: I know this bug has been reported before, I'm just reporting it again.

Edit: Okay, this is wierd, now my giant toad shows up as hostile, it wasn't a season or so ago.....

Edit: Okayy, I think something was broken with my save as I tried to look at something using visual fortress and it kept coming up blank, then somehow I had started up a second copy of the game. I did use the dwarf therapist thing but that shouldn't have done anything. Going to go use Ultrasite frinder to find a new site, hehh.....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: 40D11- strange crash possibly involving a previously reported bug
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:33:06 am »

To upload the save, create a new zip (or rar) file and copy the region folder into it (google for instructions if you don't know how to do this part).  Then upload the save to the DF File Depot (link at the top of Bug Reports).

I don't know whether saves that crash instantly are useful to Toady, but you may as well upload it anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40D11- strange crash possibly involving a previously reported bug
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:09 am »

Sure, I know about the winzip (which I prefer to rar) thing, but wasn't sure what to upload it to.

Edit: Oh yea, I'm using the mayday graphics pack and the only modding I have is making most creatures war trainable, removed aquifers, gave a few soil layers the sand property and I gave a few stone layers/minerals a boiling tag because I wanted to clear out excess stone, but the brackets were removed for all of the boiling point tags. Really though, none of those should have caused problems.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:27:48 am by smjjames »