Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Babies are overpowered  (Read 3952 times)

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babies are overpowered
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:47:20 am »

there are a few solutions to this "problem"... One is to  make sure babies don't get brought into combat...  Another is mod in armour for babies.

Gumediron the teething ring of stinking pants
This is a pig iron babygrow, all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality . It is encrusted with green glass and cat bone. On the item is an image of a bunny and a kitten in microcline, the bunny is pleading with the kitten. On the item is an image of a rabbit and a cat in rabbit bone, the cat is striking down the rabbit. It menaces with spikes of green glass and  is decorated with hanging rings of giant cave spider silk.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:50:48 am by kiffer.geo »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 08:58:30 am »

One is to  make sure babies don't get brought into combat... 

I've had 7 babies born in the middle of combat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 08:59:17 am »

Using babies as crossbow shields isn't overpowered, it's cold.

This is overpowered.

"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 09:00:48 am »

Baby kill!! Lmao  :D

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 09:24:47 am »

... All your female dwarfs should be doing womens work like mining, masonry, and forging armour and weapons in the deepest levels of the fortress. The only time female dwarfs should be above ground is when the are arriving at your fortress. I'm not saying they shouldn't be recruited and trained to fight but their squads should be the last ditch defense... When the invaders are about to damage that legendary dinning hall the female dwarfs should smash them to a fine red mist like a horde of avenging valkyries...

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 09:26:33 am »

Eh, female soldiers are fine, as long as they're all marksdwarves.

fatrobo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 10:13:41 am »

Half of my champions are mothers, with legendary wrestling and swordwielding. I started this practice after a lazy mother and marksdwarf, went solo against a dragon, circled around said dragon shooting her crossbow till she was out of ammo.

Then, the dragon burned off her kid's arm. She then proceeded to beat the dragon to death with her crossbow. My champion squad finally arrived to find her tending her son's smoldering arm.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 05:17:12 pm »

... All your female dwarfs should be doing womens work like mining, masonry, and forging armour and weapons in the deepest levels of the fortress. The only time female dwarfs should be above ground is when the are arriving at your fortress. I'm not saying they shouldn't be recruited and trained to fight but their squads should be the last ditch defense... When the invaders are about to damage that legendary dinning hall the female dwarfs should smash them to a fine red mist like a horde of avenging valkyries...

So your argument is that dorfen women should get back in the kitchen and fix up some plump helmet roasts?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »

My argument is that dwarven women should get back to the furnace and fix me up some iron bars from the goblins their husbands kill.
And making the defenses.
And hauling damn near everything.

The cooking and smithing is a unisex industry. If someone has skill, they avoid being drafted or hauler-ised.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 05:55:25 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:32:53 pm by Stany »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 08:57:43 pm »

I never even pay enough attention to my dwarves to notice gender or much else concerning relationships. All I want is the job done, I don't care who does it. I'm paying to much attention to elaborate plumbing or magma defence systems to care about gender equality. Although, in a way my lack of an attempt to pick and select based on gender makes me the best fortress leader ever when it comes to gender equality.

The main advantage/drawback of female soldiers is child shields. On the one hand, that little tyke can easily take a crossbow bolt for momma, possibly saving your multi-legendary soldier's life. On the other hand, the death of a child is a severe unhappy thought. Saving momma's life isn't such a good thing when she goes berserk in the dining hall and triggers a tantrum spiral.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 09:04:06 pm »

I never even pay enough attention to my dwarves to notice gender or much else concerning relationships. All I want is the job done, I don't care who does it. I'm paying to much attention to elaborate plumbing or magma defence systems to care about gender equality. Although, in a way my lack of an attempt to pick and select based on gender makes me the best fortress leader ever when it comes to gender equality.

The main advantage/drawback of female soldiers is child shields. On the one hand, that little tyke can easily take a crossbow bolt for momma, possibly saving your multi-legendary soldier's life. On the other hand, the death of a child is a severe unhappy thought. Saving momma's life isn't such a good thing when she goes berserk in the dining hall and triggers a tantrum spiral.

And that's why you put a statue of Urist McModel in the dining room.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »

They need to do way instain mother> who kill thier babbys. becuse these babby cant frigth with?

it was on the anounmest this mroing a golbn in df who had kill three kids . they are taking the three babby back to coifn too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots                   

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 09:30:42 pm »

yikes      

yikes.

that's not a baby shroud, it's a cocoon! baby cocoons could be owned by the parent of a child, be made of metal, and protect babies being held by mothers!

and if babies are overpowered, the throwing skill in adventure mode should be considered godly empowerment.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 09:09:05 am »

yikes       

yikes.

that's not a baby shroud, it's a cocoon! baby cocoons could be owned by the parent of a child, be made of metal, and protect babies being held by mothers!

and if babies are overpowered, the throwing skill in adventure mode should be considered godly empowerment.

The logical extension of that idea is... throwing babies!

A new weapon for the overpopulation-conscious dwarf! Now with extra overpoweredness!
Pages: 1 [2] 3