Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Climbing Skill  (Read 4536 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing Skill
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »

Actually, it's smooth walls that should give a penalty. Engravings would provide more handholds.
In DnD a negative DC makes it easier to do. I think the calculation is something like

Climbing a vertical wall = DC 15
Extra footholds lower it by 5, wet surface increases it by five, ect.

It all stemmed from having to roll above the number at hand, so negatives to the challenge would be good, additions would be bad.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 07:03:31 pm »

Ohhh. So you roll over, not under?

I am no longer confused!

And I can suddenly imagine an entire squad of Spiderdwarves clambering all over the walls.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:30 pm »

Engrave the walls on the inside of your fort, leave the outside smooth and slicked in oil, and send in the military, Who jump over the heads of the onslaught, but the skirmish looks insurmountable to the dwarves.  Lo and behold! The enemies double back upon a trap door, which drops them into a deep hole, where the dwarves dispatch of them at their own leisurely pace.

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:18:22 am »

Enough creatures should be able to boost themselves up a wall, even with low climbing, like huge goblin hordes in the lord of the rings games.

Legendary climbing should make it possible to climb along ceilings, climbing down should be easier than climbing up, engravings could give a DC -1 bonus(GASP! A downside to engraving goshdarn everything!)

And I would love to see seiges rappel down into your mountain via airshafts (after stale air and the like are implemented).

I agree with most of what you say, just climbing down is in most cases as hard or even harder than climbing up simply because you can not see where to place your feet next and because it is easier to contract your muscles in a controlled way to stand up (to climb properly you mainly use your legs, the hands are only usefull for not fall but not for gaining height) than to relax your muscles in a slow and controlled way as need when you climb down.

For pathfinding issues i d say that most creatures can not climb while carring armor or hauling stuff and that it should have a big negativ weight so that climb occurs rarely. Some constraints can be lifted if you have tools as your aid. For example climbing down gets much easier if you have a rope - climbing up as well - but as an invader it is usually easier to get a rope above an air/light-shaft.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:31:26 am »

If climbing creatures are implemented, I certainly want to see some kind of "climbing on ceilings" token. Maybe [CLIMBS_INNATE: 1] or [CLIMBS_INNATE: 2], like the current [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token.
We need giant cave geckos, seriously.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 04:44:31 pm »

this rocks, i'm tired of herding goblins into my guard room by fencing the site.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 02:21:15 am »

If climbing creatures are implemented, I certainly want to see some kind of "climbing on ceilings" token. Maybe [CLIMBS_INNATE: 1] or [CLIMBS_INNATE: 2], like the current [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token.

Then you could be ambushed by Giant Cave Spiders dropping down on your adventurer/dwarves from above.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:37:08 am »

Then you could be ambushed by Giant Cave Spiders dropping down on your adventurer/dwarves from above.

Terrifying.  Absolutely terrifying.

Something should be said about the type of material that is being climbed.  Stone obviously has a lot of various forms.  Wood and bark would also be very different (and possibly easier to climb).  Dwarves should excel at climbing stone walls while elves should be able to practically run up trees.

I just had a flashback to the various climbing levels in the Zelda games.  Oh god, the boulders.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 07:35:47 pm »

I would have to disagree with dwarves having a [climbing_inate] tag, they should need climbing gear, or at least take a large penalty for being so short and stocky, watch out for spider gobos however

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

There should be a tag or 3, sort of like swimming is now, to prevent Giant Cave Spider Legendary Climbers:

[CLIMBS_INNATE] Creature can climb naturally
[CLIMBS_LEARNED] Climbing is a skill for the creature
[CLIMBSPEED:] Speed at which the creature climbs
To extend upon this post:

Basically, I based this off the preexisting form of alternative transport: swimming. However, in addition, there would be another tag: [CLIMBS_EQUIPMENT:], which can be 1, 2, or 3. 1 means that equipment has no effect, 2 means it is required to some extent, and 3 means that it is not required but still helps. Alternatively, it could be set to a number, which is the minimum skill level that is able to climb without equipment. A 0 would naturally mean that creature never needs equipment, and would be default if the tag was not added but one of the others is.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:26 pm »

Sorry RedWarrior, i just have never looked at the raws

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 03:12:28 am »

Sorry for the bump, i was gonna suggest something similar, but i searched first and found this.

Anyway, imagine if this and wallrunning was implemented. Mirror's Fortress, anyone? It would certainly allow for some interesting Fort layouts.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:05 am »

Probably on Unbelievably Agile +24 or something.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 04:12:54 am »

I think we're all concentrating on the obviously awesome ideas from this, however it is my *self appointed* job to make sure that we all understand exactly how stupid this practically is.

Having dwarves go to nets to learn climbing would waste as much time as parties.

That is all..

Anyway, This is an awesome idea! If we continue the parkour ideas then we could even have legendary dwarves wall run the first z level or two, before getting a handhold at no cost to energy.
But anyway - I don't want to have GCS skuttling around the walls and roof.

Another thing, dwarves would climb feet down - always.
Giant geckos, and giant cave spiders would climb with head facing in direction of movement.

How do we get that into raws?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02:58 am »

I think we're all concentrating on the obviously awesome ideas from this, however it is my *self appointed* job to make sure that we all understand exactly how stupid this practically is.

Having dwarves go to nets to learn climbing would waste as much time as parties.

Is that an actual complaint, or you being goofy?  It's not as though military dwarves need to spend all of their time sparring, and innate climbing skills for everything in the game would be ridiculous.

Anyway, This is an awesome idea! If we continue the parkour ideas then we could even have legendary dwarves wall run the first z level or two, before getting a handhold at no cost to energy.
But anyway - I don't want to have GCS skuttling around the walls and roof.

Wall running sounds incredibly stupid to me.  I'm not even sure how you would illustrate it.  I'd prefer the ability to leap over small gaps.

Another thing, dwarves would climb feet down - always.
Giant geckos, and giant cave spiders would climb with head facing in direction of movement.

How do we get that into raws?

Part of that would be the difference between innate and learned climbing skill, though another tag governing climbing style (including the ability to hang from ceilings) would be good.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3