Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Climbing Skill  (Read 4538 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing Skill
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 09:11:14 am »

I'd like to have goblins riding GCSs & getting over fort walls.

As I understand it, the major problem is that allowing climbing for some creatures but not others would require a major rewrite of the pathfinding system.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 01:59:56 am »

Wall running sounds incredibly stupid to me.  I'm not even sure how you would illustrate it.  I'd prefer the ability to leap over small gaps.

Well, apparantly(sp?), it is possible to run up walls a couple steps, if you have enough momentum(sp?). So they could run up a wall and grab hold of the top, or jump off them to get to a higher level. I'm not sure about running across a wall, maybe allow the Dwarves to jump to a wall, then kick off it, if, for example, they need to get around this:

############
#....................#
#++X++#++D++#
#+++++#+++++#

In this case, the Dwarf needs to get to the X, but there isn't another way there. (Or there is, but the Dwarf is trying to save time.)
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:42 am »

I really don't see dwarves making those kind of jumps.

But give that to elves and you got elves not totally pansy whenever they come.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »

...I can see the applications, but it still seems silly.

Something I was thinking about was pole-vaulting.  It would be a great way for siegers and adventurers to get over small walls without time-consuming climbing.  It could also augment jumping.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 02:21:42 am »

Have you forgotten what game we're playing? A game where you can throw socks at people to decapitate them, a game where you can build an entire fort in the sky with only a single pillar holding it up, a game where Carp fish for you, a game where you can accidently the WHOLE thing... yet, you're saying a Dwarf can't make a measly wall jump?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 02:58:05 am »

And - sorry bricks
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There is actually a possibility to have a wallrun. As 612 stated, it does actually rely pretty heavily on momentum, but it is possible to wall run up heights twice, or three times a humans height. Go watch some parkour videos if you think not.

Running along walls is a different matter. Like it or not, even the parkour master cannot defy gravity. Two steps is easy, or three steps for someone merely very good at parkour. More than that, I cannot say.
But anyway, as to climbing. Seeing as bricks misunderstood my first complaint - or possibly I understood the applications; but will *all* dwarves learn to climb? or only military?
Alternatively, climbing could be a skill that only gets leveled when dwarves go up ramps - much like swimming.

Anyway, Another thing i find a complication is that jumping small gaps, or running or climbing up walls would work well - as it would mean that during pathfinding, a dwarf would consider that a path, though it could have some traffic cost or something. However, the idea of climbing a roof seems to me to only work for ambushing. Am I right?

TROLLING - WARNING
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WARNING - TROLLING
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:06:51 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 05:14:50 pm »

Have you forgotten what game we're playing? A game where you can throw socks at people to decapitate them, a game where you can build an entire fort in the sky with only a single pillar holding it up, a game where Carp fish for you, a game where you can accidently the WHOLE thing... yet, you're saying a Dwarf can't make a measly wall jump?

...you just listed things that are broken and plan to be changed.  Perhaps dwarves should also ground-pound to avoid falling damage, as it would be another overused element from platform games to include.

Tack, nothing I said was meant to attack you, just the idea of wall running.  Chill.  I'm more concerned about running along walls, which seems to be what was being suggested.  Running up walls seems like a possible replacement for the ability to climb when there aren't many footholds and the wall isn't very high, though a one-tile height strikes me as normally climbable for dwarves/elves/goblins/humans/maybe kobolds, and two tiles seems like a lot to run up and over.  I'd rather see climbing implemented as discussed, and instead of running up sheer walls, something to wear on your feet and hands to climb the wall ninja-style.  I can't remember what those are called.

As far as who learns climbing and when it is learned, I don't really know.  The idea of building nets for dwarves to practice on is nifty, and could be an optional military thing.  Like swimming, it should be something you can make your dwarves train if you so desire.  It's a little weird because jobs aren't really assigned on an individual basis.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 07:11:22 pm »

so, maybe make nets into a room toggle object, to make an obstacle course or something like that -and once the room is there, military dwarves will come and use it? Could also make a toggleable in their military page.
Dwarf will spar only.
Dwarf will climb only.
Dwarf will climb and spar.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 12:49:14 pm »

Could somebody explain why climbing is important for dwarves anyway?  They aren't the ones that need to climb up and into enemy fortresses (except adventure mode, but many of the arguments are related to fortress mode)

Plus if the goblins can climb on top of structures, then maybe floors can be destroyed by gobos but not walls.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 01:46:09 pm »

Could somebody explain why climbing is important for dwarves anyway?  They aren't the ones that need to climb up and into enemy fortresses (except adventure mode, but many of the arguments are related to fortress mode)

Plus if the goblins can climb on top of structures, then maybe floors can be destroyed by gobos but not walls.

One, because it would allow miners to access areas of the map that aren't easy to simply walk to, especially if they happen to fall.  Two, because military would be able to chase after an opponent that decided to clamber up a wall.  Basically, for the same reasons that we would want to train our dwarves to swim - it increases safety and augments defense.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »

Dwarves work underground. They deal with caves and pits and presumably awful, dark tunnel systems. Climbing would be a very nice skill for them to possess.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 03:58:58 pm »

You have a point, I like the more creative ways of freeing my trapped dwarves, a la parafalling masons

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:23 pm »

Dwarves work underground. They deal with caves and pits and presumably awful, dark tunnel systems. Climbing would be a very nice skill for them to possess.

I dunno... Parkour kinda relies on knowing what's around the bend and that your surfaces are all smooth, edged, and tractioned.  Sic: Urban

It seems like a bad idea to try that shit in rooms with delicate structures, random water spots, piss poor visibility, surprise pits, slippery guano and moss, tight spaces, sharp edges, rubble, etc.

I see dwarves as more traditional spelunkers... Always cabled in, attached to the wall at three points, but always wearing helmets and carrying climbing gear.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 09:18:30 pm »

Parkour in a pitch-black underground cavern sounds pretty suicidal to me as well.

Maybe dwarves have such calloused hands they can climb walls like spider-man?  ;)

or

Dwarven beards are so coarse and rough that it can hold the dwarf suspended in midair as long as it is attached to a rough surface.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 12:17:28 am »

Athenian style exile would be cool if your dwarves were bright enough to resent the noble who had their friend thrown in prison or beat up or killed for no good reason.  They'd take care of them for you.  Either that or they'd be perpetually driving out hammerers. 

It would also be cool if the hammerer would rebel when told to beat on his friends and cave in the noble's skull instead. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]