Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Basic Magic System  (Read 2175 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Magic System
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 11:28:18 am »

Only way I would support this is if Toady thought it was productive for the first version.  He's noted before that magic (strictly post version one) should be a part of artifacts (strictly version one).  There is also the question of special attacks for various monsters; though with the updates in the next version, its going to be hard to find a type of special attack that you can't approximate.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 01:37:23 pm »

I would only go for wizards and priests. Druids always seemed to  :-X elven  :-X for me.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »

ex: a few powdered rubies + a gallon of troll blood + the offering of two dozen goblin skulls = a flaming weapon.

I think this is the root beef most people have.
As Grendus just said someone said, if it's exploitable, why not exploit it?

This reaction template style of thing would essentially open the floor up to mass production - regardless of how obscure the 'ingredients' are.
Rubies? No problem, whether you're willing to add a smelter reaction for them or just order them en masse from caravans. Troll blood? There's a thread on mermaid harvesting somewhere, so I don't see how a little scourges ingenuity couldn't get you barrels of it. Two dozen goblin skulls? Most players have two hundred kicking around.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »

That's why a costless but unpredictable magic system will always be best. Letting loose the magi should be almost as dangerous as de-activating all your military when the goblins show up. Sure you'll win, but you'll also lose :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:16 am »

ex: a few powdered rubies + a gallon of troll blood + the offering of two dozen goblin skulls = a flaming weapon.

I think this is the root beef most people have.
As Grendus just said someone said, if it's exploitable, why not exploit it?

This reaction template style of thing would essentially open the floor up to mass production - regardless of how obscure the 'ingredients' are.
Rubies? No problem, whether you're willing to add a smelter reaction for them or just order them en masse from caravans. Troll blood? There's a thread on mermaid harvesting somewhere, so I don't see how a little scourges ingenuity couldn't get you barrels of it. Two dozen goblin skulls? Most players have two hundred kicking around.
That's why a costless but unpredictable magic system will always be best. Letting loose the magi should be almost as dangerous as de-activating all your military when the goblins show up. Sure you'll win, but you'll also lose :D
All right, you've convinced me.  I think that such enchantments are better overpowered anyways, and the lack of control balances that.  In adventurer mode, I don't think you need controllable magic, a few things like healers though would be great when the wound system is managed (or before, no more phantom limbs!)  'Controlled' magic would probably go best in tower mode, 'you' are just sitting at the top, with an omniscient  view of the battlefield, occasionally casting a spell or two to wreak havoc!  You have some 'control' over your wizard, but you only get so much; expect a few fireballed roaches and sudden and inexplicable demands, think of a noble with grenades and even stranger tastes, if that's even possible!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 08:11:36 pm »

I still love the idea of having wizards as eccentric-going-on-batshit-insane old men who just do whatever and don't care about the consequences.

Damnit Merlin, that's the fourth dwarf you've turned green this week!

Urist McSummoner cancels perform ritual: interrupted by C'thulu.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 01:00:22 am »

I think spells should at least cost something, Mana, magic or whatever you want to call it as well as a certain amount of fatigue, The unpredictability should be a value derived from base spell mana cost, level of spell, the casters current fatigue(if you're tired you can't concentrate very well), the casters skill(so very skilled wizards have less chance of blowing themselves up) and enviromental conditions(so unless your wizard is VERY skilled conjuring a water elemental in a desert is just asking for trouble).
Of course more powerful and skilled magic users would be a lot more expensive in Fortress Mode.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:02:04 am by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 08:43:44 am »

Ok, a cost should exist, I was talking physical cost, but having dwarves fatigue, thirst and hunger themselves from spellcasting seems very reasonable. It stops them being commonplace, because you only use them when you need to. Maybe the worst effects should range right up to wounds appearing, or even the dwarf aging for casting spells. I think mana is right out personally. It's a crappy way to do magic when there are so many other options, and it's only useful in pen and paper RPG games because we don't use computers to work out exactly how much magicalness you have left. Having very tough magi would be cool because it would stop them from suffering from thirst/hunger/tiredness/damage while casting.

Secondly, no spells. Hell no. You command the magi to cast, and they'll damn well cast until they're tired/thirsty/hungry/too wounded. The effect would be almost random out of anything that could happen (water magi could increase flow speed, create water, turn ice to water during cold months etc) and that's what spells would essentially be. no "do this thing" commands, just "magic please!" and hope it works for the best. Obviously the dwarves will have to be given a short list of the things that are good and bad for people, so when enemies are near they'll try to cast things that are bad for people near them, and things that are good for people near you, but it's all a bit chaotic.

Unpredictability is the base line, not something to be derived. You have to derive use from the chaos, because that makes magic fun and Funtm.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:09 am »

You have to make magic at least reasonably powerful and controllable or people just won't bother with it and that'd be an entire arc wasted, my idea for magic would still allow magic to be directed and effective but would add the danger that miscasting a spell would cause problems based on the type of spell, so(dependent on skill) miscasting a fireball could result in it not exploding where the caster wanted, blowing up in the casters face or simply not exploding at all and/or causing the caster to burst into flames.
I agree with the mana thing though.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:59 pm »

I don't think people will ignore it if you make magic a small but effective chaos. It would give you an incentive to use magi at critical junctures where something has to be done, and not to try using them as factories for magic. This way a single mage could tip the battle in your favour, but you can't just sit back and magic your way through sieges. You will have to use magic as a backup and stuff.

If a mage turned the ground to water underneath half a squad of goblins that's going to be a pretty good reason to use them, but you still need soldiers to fight the rest, and that particular effect isn't particularly replicable (might only have a 1 in 20 chance of happening when the water sphere mage starts casting) so you can't rely on your magi winning fights for you. Gathering 5-10 magi should be both an accomplishment and a huge boost to your fortress, but they still won't win you any wars directly.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:48 pm »

you should be able to turn people into toads, if only for the irony
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 [2]