Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: That is not dwarvern atom smasher...  (Read 17350 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: That is not dwarvern atom smasher...
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »

I thought Adamantine was just some type of rare Microline, since both are the same color and will burn your eyes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:01:07 pm by Phantom »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 02:29:11 pm »

We have to atomsmash Planepacked so as to see it here. We HAVE to.
Also, the most widespread version is that demons were forced into the pits and emprisoned with adamantine, from which they couldn't break free.

To be fair, Planepacked only had, what, 130 pictures?

You could go to one of those giant murals and see more.

My take on adamantine is that it's the byproduct of the magic that is required to open a portal to whatever-is-under-HFS.

Rocks + magic = adamantine
416 actually, 417 if you want the statue's own decoration as well.

You can see why we want to smash this beyond the multi-meta-verse.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 02:44:03 pm »

No, because
Spoiler: It's really a spoiler! (click to show/hide)

You're going to have to provide a source on that one.  From what I recall Adams was forced to create a question because he'd given an answer, chose 5x9 arbitrarily and only found out later that 5x9 in base 13 is, in fact, 42.
Actually, the question he gave was 6x9. 5x9 in base 13 is only 36.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 02:51:35 pm »

It states that the demons were sealed in their pit with Adamantine, in legends.

So it's either produced by gods, produced by magic or uber rare and the kingdoms were drained of all Adamantine  while filling the seal (which I presume was poured, not built). Anyway, it's kinda funny that all it takes is a square of Obsidian (for now) to stop them. Does rather seem it was a waste of perfectly good material either way, no?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:11 pm »

No, because

You're going to have to provide a source on that one.  From what I recall Adams was forced to create a question because he'd given an answer, chose 5x9 arbitrarily and only found out later that 5x9 in base 13 is, in fact, 42.
4213= 4*(13^1)+2*(13^0)=52+2=54=6x9

Win on the last guy.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 04:50:46 pm »

Also, the most widespread version is that demons were forced into the pits and emprisoned with adamantine, from which they couldn't break free.

My take on adamantine is that it's the byproduct of the magic that is required to open a portal to whatever-is-under-HFS.

Rocks + magic = adamantine

You forget a lot of those 130 pictures were also pictures of itself. Each of which had 130 pictures, a lot of which were pictures of themselves. And so on.

Planepacked stands at the cornerstone of creation.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 04:55:23 pm »

416 engravings. On a statue. Not a giant mural, a little statue. And, as said above, 73 times recursing.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »

reading this has made my day.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:22 pm »

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that a metaversal trans-gateway can only be stable in an area with low baratermic background levels. Such states the law of Urist McQuantum.

And if you smash planepacked, I believe that each picture of itself will be rendered into reality... and if theres ~130~ planepacked's the epic field will simply be to great and could destroy the bounds of reality.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that a metaversal trans-gateway can only be stable in an area with low baratermic background levels. Such states the law of Urist McQuantum.

And if you smash planepacked, I believe that each picture of itself will be rendered into reality... and if theres ~130~ planepacked's the epic field will simply be to great and could destroy the bounds of reality.
In other words... Is a galactic-scale giant red mecha with a face for a chest going to appear if we pull it off? And will we all be able to control it? Hell, this could be the start of probability-altering technology!!!

We gotta do it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:44 pm »

No, because

4213= 4*(13^1)+2*(13^0)=52+2=54=6x9

Win on the last guy.

D'oh.  I should learn to be more cognizant of when I'm posting.  Noon to 5pm is probably ok.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »

I think that demons master magic and their magic accidently  turned the walls of their pits into adamantine, so it could resist to their dark power. That may explain why adamantine has strange properties (incredible lightness and hardness, for instance).
I always assumed it was some race or another that later got destroyed. Or possibly intelligent dwarves :o .

Anyway, it's kinda funny that all it takes is a square of Obsidian (for now) to stop them. Does rather seem it was a waste of perfectly good material either way, no?
The Demons are likely weakened by years/decades/centuries/occasionally millenia of being encased in their bright microcline-colored prison, to the point that lesser rock can hold them... for now.

Also, can we atom smash a couple wizards?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Taisuru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 05:18:50 am »

You fools! Don't you see? This isn't anything NEW to the world, it's a lost art which nearly destroyed the race of man millennia ago! Where do you think the humans in dwarf fortress came from? They are our lost ancestors!

If anything, we must retrieve them by atom smashing any and all humans in the Dwarven realm back to ours!

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 06:28:16 am »

first of all i don't understand the purpose of atom smasher. i though stones are extremely useful for megastructures :P
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 06:33:44 am »

You can use it to atomsmash your enemies, which is pretty nifty.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10