Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can upright spikes act as...spikes? (also, advice on my defence plan)  (Read 1462 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so I wanna make a spike pit near the entrance to my fortress with a drawbridge going across it. If I dig a channel, line the botton with upright spike traps, hook 'em up to a lever and then pull that level, will that actually hurt anything that falls on top of them?

Part 2: Okay, here's the basic diagram of the layout I planned for my fortress. Can some of you pros look at it and tell me if there's any flaws or weak points?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ....... 
   XO                           OX .......
   X         >>>>>             I ))))))))))))
   XO                           OX .......
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX .......     

X - wall

>>> - stairs leading down to my fort

O - sniper towers

I - floodgates

)))))) - drawbridge

.... - channel (hopefully lined with Pointy DeathTM)

Basically, the idea is to close the floodgates and raise the drawbridge in case of an attack, sealing the entrance (all dorfs will be told to go indoors of course). This would lead the goblins/elves/whatever, into an alternate entrance which would be a twisted maze full of traps and all sorts of nasty critters (if the elves bring me any). This alternate entrance would also give stranded dwarfs a chance to get in since they won't trigger the traps.

So, what do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can upright spikes act as...spikes? (also, advice on my defence plan)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:52:32 pm »

Spike traps only do damage the moment they are extended. So any units that fall on the spikes, regardless of the spike trap's current state, will only take fall damage. You'd have to put the lever on Repeat, or just let your pit grow full before pulling it.

Traps
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:03 am »

Spikes ARE fun, though. They ignore trapavoid, so they're even useful against Orcs.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:46:39 am »

DF really needs wall mounted spikes IMO, sort of like Indiana Jones or something.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:12:45 am »

DF really needs wall mounted spikes IMO, sort of like Indiana Jones or something.

Wouldn't they be functionally identical, except you could only place them next to walls?  ???

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:19:22 am »

Yea you're right, I just think they might be cooler.

You can always just imagine that they are popping out of the wall or whatever though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:30:52 am »

Well, wall mounted spikes could be placed IN a wall, to shoot out in a direction of your choosing. They would also have the added benefit of striking mainly the left/right side, possibly crippling them without killing them.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:24 pm »

I want to be able to make rooms like the spike crushing trap room from Temple of Doom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:36 pm »

You mean the classic trapped-in-a-room-and-the-walls-are-closing-in type trap? The closest thing we have to that in DF is a cave in.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:07 pm »

Spikes need to do damage when you fall on them... I hope it's fixed for this next version.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:44 pm »

Wouldn't they be functionally identical, except you could only place them next to walls?  ???
Nono, a mason or engraver would first make holes in the wall, a mechanic would then apply the correct items to make them work.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 04:17:24 pm »

You mean the classic trapped-in-a-room-and-the-walls-are-closing-in type trap? The closest thing we have to that in DF is a cave in.

We already have these. They are called Atom-smashing bridges.

Alternatively, I just thought of a great way to kill Orcs, based off of the opening scene in "The Lost Arc".

Code: [Select]
##################################
. . = = = . . . . . @ . . . . . X ~
O . = = = . . . . . @ . . . . k X ~
. . = = = . . . . . @ . . . . . X ~
##################################
= - retracting bridge over deep pit.
@ - button
X - magma-proof floodgate
~ - magma
O - Orc delibating whether he wants to kill the kitten.
k - the kitten, preferably attached to a steel chain.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »

If I recall correctly, spikes do some damage. Well, they impale anyone unlucky enough to fall from at least 2z levels AFAIK.
This is -ing good wood!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:05:27 pm »

Quote from: Toady
10/16/2007: Added hatch cover and grate items and associated jobs, added hatch/wall grate/floor grate/vertical bars/floor bars buildings, made sure workers are permitted for each building component before attempting to make a building, reset storage counter on newly designated dump items, fixed problem with projectiles vs. floors/ceilings, added spike tag for trap components, adding ability to place upright spears and spikes, added falling damage and corpse impalement for unretracted spike buildings, tweaked edge sinks
Eh, the wiki and people who've tested it say there is no additional effect...
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 07:21:53 pm »

Basically, the idea is to close the floodgates and raise the drawbridge in case of an attack, sealing the entrance (all dorfs will be told to go indoors of course). This would lead the goblins/elves/whatever, into an alternate entrance which would be a twisted maze full of traps and all sorts of nasty critters (if the elves bring me any). This alternate entrance would also give stranded dwarfs a chance to get in since they won't trigger the traps.

So, what do you think?
Thanks in advance.

Pretty solid idea. Impalement won't work with dropping, but, with a few mechanical constructs, I believe you can make yourself some pretty nasty reciprocating death. The usual way to do this is to use a pressure plate to switch power between a pump that pumps water onto the plate and one that pumps it off, and hooking the plate up to the spikes as well. Getting these to work can be tricky and they slow down the game the more you put in.

As for nasty creatures, try fire imps. If you get them pretty well protected they make pretty fearsome labyrinth snipers (e.g. fire imps on platforms above the actual maze). Take *that* stupid wooden elf weapons/armor!

-D.B. 
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
Pages: [1] 2