Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can upright spikes act as...spikes? (also, advice on my defence plan)  (Read 1461 times)

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can upright spikes act as...spikes? (also, advice on my defence plan)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 02:23:09 am »

I have planned (but not actually yet tried to implement) something similar in my latest nanofortress.  Basically there is a ramp leading up to a long drawbridge leading to a main entrance.  In case of emergency, the bridge is lifted.  There is, however, a second way into my fort - the maze-like area beneath the drawbridge.

A kitten is placed in a little room, tethered by a rope (or whatever).  It is not just bait to draw the invaders on, though.. it is also surrounded by pressure plates.  Spike traps are lined along the entire bottom of the maze, somewhat random as to which traps are controlled by which plates.  As the kitten wanders about, spike traps move up and down, hopefully pulverizing any attackers before they can get to the kitten.

As a failsafe, I have planned a pressure plate on the last square of the maze that raises barriers around the kittens while dropping them from in front of the six fire imps I have imprisoned in the room behind fortifications.

No idea if it will work at all, but half the fun is in finding out!  Good luck with your plans - do keep us updated, won't you?
Pages: 1 [2]