Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: uhh...run?  (Read 2784 times)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: uhh...run?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 07:07:57 am »

Small problem... aren't local animals still immune to traps? IIRC they've been around long enough they recognize changes to the environment

In that case, you need a baited dust-assisted cage trap. Like so:

Code: [Select]

Surface:
+▼++++ <-Down Access
++...+
++.+.+
++.+#+ <-A grate floor provides construction
++.+.+ access to the collapsar without
++...+ supporting it.
++++++

Trap:
█▲████ <-Surface Access
█^╬++█ <-Cage trap corridor
█^╬++█ <-Fortifications allow dust past, but not target creature
█^╬I+█ <-Support linked to lever
█d╬++█
█§╬++█ <-Chained bait animal
████o█ <-Walled underground construction access

Target creature enters trap to eat the dog, you pull the lever, support goes and constructed(or natural) floors collapse, dust passes fortifications and knocks target out while it's standing on cage traps. Target is caged.

Atleast that's the idea - you may have to adapt the concept to suit your circumstances. This plan is underground to minimise exposure, but it does have it's own shortcomings, in addition to being a little compact.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:11:29 am by Wolfius »

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:10:31 am »

sorry it took me so long to respond internet is dying
i just dug straight down with defenses the hydra is content to sit there
i'm living right now but i'm not sure where the migrants/traders come from so they might die the second they come close to my fort
oh yeah one thing the hydra and my fort entrance can both be seen on one screen
i'll just try the baited dust-assisted cage trap

edit:
ugh nevermind the dwarven trader just came through and apparently the hydra was more interested in the traders than me and died by them
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:09:57 pm by yaklin »

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 03:18:43 pm »

Quick! Butcher it! You may need to turn on "Gather refuse outside" (o-r-o).
Akur Akir Akam!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 05:02:43 pm »

To quote someone from the "What to do with Giant Eagle" thread:

Eat that fucker.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 05:05:07 pm »

I agree with the above, rabbits are more deadly than hydras so as the person says.
Eat that fucker.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:28 pm »

i did butcher it but then my power cut for a few seconds so my computer restarted
good thing i have auto save set the hydra is still alive and the caravan didn't come yet

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »

varnish's advice still stands, but if you can try and capture the Hydra, do so. A guard megabeast would be cool as heck, especially if you can get him (or her) to fight some other megabeast.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 11:23:41 pm »

dump the bones next to a craftsdwarf workshop and lock it tight til you get a mood, then when they claim the shop lock them in so you get hydra bones in your craft. hopefully it'll be something you can use, obviously. though i admit i'd play a hydra bone flute.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 10:00:10 am »

Better yet, forbid the bones until you get a mood, then unforbid them and forbid all other bones in the fortress. If a dwarf grabs the wrong bones, forbid them while he's still carrying them or when he leaves them in the workshop.

Remember, hydra and dragon bones are pretty valuable but adamantine, raw adamantine, diamonds and star gem decorations are more valuable and considerably more abundant (you can often trade for high-value gems even if you don't have a sedimentary layer or kimberlite pipe). Hydra bones will also make a stack of 100 bolts, which will greatly add to your fortress's wealth and can permit some pretty amazing firefights.

Also don't forget to tan the hide. Too bad that dwarves are the worst leatherworkers ever and one size 20 hide will yield one cap or two shoes  ::).

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12:55 pm »

varnish's advice still stands, but if you can try and capture the Hydra, do so. A guard megabeast would be cool as heck, especially if you can get him (or her) to fight some other megabeast.
Like a Godzilla re-run.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 10:53:33 pm »

Also don't forget to tan the hide. Too bad that dwarves are the worst leatherworkers ever and one size 20 hide will yield one cap or two shoes  ::).

Yes, and an entire freaking tree will get you a single godforsaken earring.
EDIT: On second thought, maybe dwarves gage their ears with tree trunks. Yes, it all makes sense now!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 10:59:18 pm »

Like a Godzilla re-run.

Especially if he can get a Dragon.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »

No no, it has to be Space Godzilla.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3