Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort concept - Pre-modded worlds - What do you think?  (Read 1223 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort concept - Pre-modded worlds - What do you think?
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:01:21 pm »

By using modding beforehand, I think I can make a challenging map that is hard in a way that isn't possible through world-gen chance.

An example, the dwarven wailing wall.

The elves love him for his beards, oh the agony!

Through a combination of modding creature raws, dwarf companion, and a few other terrain-altering utilities, I should be able to create this.

Due to the river/aquifer constantly filling up the gap behind the wall, the water that escapes through the "eye holes" can create a crying effect that continually floods the map. Add this to a cold or temperate map and you have possible instant deathtraps.

In addition, if the water is filled to the brim (say, player blocked eyeholes with walls), it triggers a pressure plate that unleashes a flood of magma onto the whole map.

Deep underground, there are pre-dug small holes. By embarking with megabeasts, chaining them in holes, filling in the walls, setting them to berserk with companion, then finally destroying the chain via lever (or we can just pit them), I can create a HFS-lite, where a megabeast (possibly invisible) will emerge when miners dig too deep or are just unlucky.

What do you think? Is player-designed enviroments an interesting concept?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Fort concept - Pre-modded worlds - What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:16:30 pm »

Very much so! Send me what you've got when you've done it. I think I see a way round this, but that should be a very fun challenge.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:19:27 pm »

Oh, I don't think I'll be pursuing this particular world, but I wanted to get the idea out and see if people are interested.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »

i'd also like to play such a map.
i know, you wont be doing that specific map, but how would you prevent the player from just deconstructing the pressure plate, so he hasnt the risk of fried dwarves?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 04:06:37 pm »

i'd also like to play such a map.
i know, you wont be doing that specific map, but how would you prevent the player from just deconstructing the pressure plate, so he hasnt the risk of fried dwarves?

I was thinking something like 10 GCS up in that plateau, since you can't get off it initially.

It's really more of an honor code thing though.

On the other hand, if they walled off the bottom, right after the pressure plate...

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:08:16 pm »

I would love if we could have an 'edit embark map' feature to make crazy maps and add all sorts of nasties.  :)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:10:56 pm »

I would love if we could have an 'edit embark map' feature to make crazy maps and add all sorts of nasties.  :)

If you grab:

Dtil / Tweak (tile editor)
Dwarf Companion (Creature editing)
For Each Tile (mass tile editing, or so I've heard)
and do a little modding, you can basically do the same thing.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 06:14:56 pm »

There are some problems that arise though, and I don't have any idea if you can make just  a tile an aquifer.  They may operate on the whole layer basis.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:15:18 pm »

If you really wish to honour Armok put one of these in the mouth  ;D

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »

Anyone rember the flying Islands from Super Mario 64?

...Now anyone getting an idea yet?...

...Goood...I have trained you well ^_^

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:38 pm »

Of course there is a bit of a problem with the HFS plans. You see, reclaiming is a bit wonky when it comes to unrevealed tiles. I really should test it more, but it appears that inaccessible areas underground are hidden upon reclaim, and it is impossible to remove it. Again, I need to do some tests with this, but it could be a problem unless one uses a reveal mod.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:49:46 pm »

Of course there is a bit of a problem with the HFS plans. You see, reclaiming is a bit wonky when it comes to unrevealed tiles. I really should test it more, but it appears that inaccessible areas underground are hidden upon reclaim, and it is impossible to remove it. Again, I need to do some tests with this, but it could be a problem unless one uses a reveal mod.

I think that was the whole point - seal up the megabeasts in underground chambers that won't be revealed during a reclaim, so unlucky miners will happen to uncover and release them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 11:57:57 pm »

I think that was the whole point - seal up the megabeasts in underground chambers that won't be revealed during a reclaim, so unlucky miners will happen to uncover and release them.
Exactly. If you Accidently break into one of these chambers, its like HFS on a smaller scale, if im understanding it correctly...

So you may WANT to know where they are...
You just arnt SUPPOSED to..

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:57 am »

Exactly. If you Accidently break into one of these chambers, its like HFS on a smaller scale, if im understanding it correctly...

So you may WANT to know where they are...
You just arnt SUPPOSED to..
The problem isn't that they are hidden so much as the black tiles won't go away. Even if you dig into it, the black tiles remain. Note I did this with a room made of constructions and not natural walls, but as I said testing is needed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO