Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Beauty and the Beast.  (Read 1756 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
The Beauty and the Beast.
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:53:12 am »

As I sit here, watching my magma complex fill to 6/7, I lean forward and observe the ripples in the nearby magma pipe. Seeing the ripples of 6s and 7s become 5s and 4s, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful it is, the odd patterns and flows. Likewise, when the fires burn, and I see the growing ring of red leaving sand and ash behind, the siegers flashing red and yellow as they scamper from the field of battle.

But then I see the hideous pock-marks of exploratory mining. The tears and scratches of a thousand tunnels dug by industrious hands.

Has anyone else got any particularly beautiful or ugly DF things they feel like sharing?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Beauty and the Beast.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:57:25 am »

when you dump an entire elf army into a magma pit it's.. it's beautifoul.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:29:55 am »

I find the detailed messages that appear as somebody is slowly being killed both artistic and disturbing... am I screwed up?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:10 am »

Hell no. I occasionally (read: all the time) enact the movements of my character in moments of particular glory (breaking three or four joint locks, hitting and counterattacking 5 or 6 times all in one action). Anyone looking in my window would see a naked bloke prancing about his rome like a nutter :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:50:33 am »

when you dump an entire elf army into a magma pit it's.. it's beautifoul.

... Beauty + foul? Slaneesh?

Still, magma is a pretty thing to watch.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:17 am »

As I look over the battlements, I see their fires in the distance. The men all stand around these fires, waiting for the dawn to attack. Our engineers struggle to hook up defenses, but I doubt it will be done by the end of the night. Tomorrow, in those fires, we will either find victorious glory or obliteration.

Let me say, seeing siegers set up campfires is rather nifty.

After many months away from my home, I finally returned. However, something was wrong. As I ascended the final hill, I saw a great pox upon the land. A giant cube, blocking the sun with it's cold uncaring majesty. I let go a tear of sorrow, remember the great balconies and spires and hovels of my kind. Is this how we have advanced, taking out all things of beauty for these giant blocks?!

People who build giant squares. Surely we can make better architecture than square buildings.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:07:50 am »

Beautiful: The movement of a river, flowing downstream. I can't stand to play with numbers on(though I was looking for something that would possibly change the color of water depending on depth). Just seeing it flow amazes me at all the amazing things a single person can program.

Ugly: Vermin. I hate vermin. Seeing those little specks running around my otherwise uniform food stockpile is annoying.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:21 am »

Beautiful: The uniform flow of liquids, and the doing of all needed jobs in a single shift's work.

Ugly: Elves. And human seigers. I mean, the mere thought of wrestling from horseback... :-[
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:35:19 am »

Beautiful: The first time I saw a rising dust cloud from a cave-in.

Ugly: The miners I accidentally dropped the roof on.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »

I once mined out an entire floor by digging horizontal tunnels with 2 tiles between each of them. Every time I hit a vein or a gem deposit the entire deposit would be carefully mined out. Discrete vertical tunnels connected them. I'm not sure what it was, but looking at this floor with its massive circles of microcline, gently flowing veins of sphlareite, and soft dimples of cleared out opal, especially with the gentle lines of mining providing delicate contrast was beholding a piece of art.

Oh yeah, and when I unartistically explore a floor, man, looks terrible.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

Beautiful:
Turning my 'visitors courtyard' from the white of dolomite to blood red during an orc siege.
Ugly:
Cleaning up all that steel.

Beautiful: Magma mist and dust rising from my magma casts when I drop the 40x40 mined-out floor into the walled center, getting rid of lots of stone.

Ugly: waiting for ages for the next cistern to fill.

Beautiful: creating a waterfall-creating river through the fortress that never floods and powers its own pumps to circulate the water into the freshwater lake.

Ugly: Forgetting about the skeletal fish in the terrifying lake.

Beautiful: Mining out entire levels of a map to prepare for replacing the entire map with obsidian, seeing the nodes and veins and layers (as noted).

Ugly: YOU HAVE STRUCK _____ during the mineout.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:00:15 pm »

Late at night, when I watch the magma, I know it's time to stop when I see stuff in it.  Time to go to sleep... sleeeeeeeep.........

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:06:21 pm »

Beautiful: Accidentally flooding my entrance area killing field while the Champions were stationed there, just to see them get swept out (while drowning) and then proceed to annihilate the siege producing rivers of blood in the flood.

Ugly: The layout of every fort I've ever made.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »

Beautiful:
A legendary marksdwarf with a large stack of bolts that just went berserk in your meeting room.

Seriously, they empty the thing in about half a second. It's like a machine gun.

After seeing that for the first time, I modded in size 1000 creatures, made bone bolts, and did the same thing with companion.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 01:11:36 pm »

Beauty: Seeing the waves of the ocean ebb and flow against the beach.

Ugly: Seeing the barren rocky wastes of a mountainside. I really wish there were scattered scrubs and patches of dirt or something on mountain tiles.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2