Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Window Genuine Validation MAKES ME ANGRY!  (Read 3211 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Window Genuine Validation MAKES ME ANGRY!
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:42:39 pm »

So my DUMB sister started up my computer, and thought "Hey, I'll download the Windows Genuine Validation that pops up, even though my brother explicitly told me to NOT install anything on his computer!" so now I have a RETARDED superimposed message on my desktop that says "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting!" which doesn't hurt, but is annoying, and I WON'T have it!

Has anyone else ever been bothered by this? I went to a website that details how to fix this "Nagware" and it gives a couple methods:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

Can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of any of these methods? Anyone willing to hold my hand as I fix it, seeing as how I'm not quite sure how to do some of the things on this list?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Window Genuine Validation MAKES ME ANGRY!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »

I did it, my dads computer had it, he still didn't do it, then his wallpaper disappeared and all thats left is a thing that says Windows Genuine Validation.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:11 pm »

First one sounds like it should stop some of it, but while fucking up all tray messages.

Second one isn't a problem, unless you've installed something important since the errors started.

Third one is a little piratey, but hey, you already coughed up.

All just logical speculation of course. I've not had the problem.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:38 am »

I'm not quite sure how to restart XP in safe mode.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:12:04 am »

While it's booting up, you should be prompted to press F1 for options in the corner. THIS IS YOUR TIME TO STRIKE!

Barring that, you can force it shut down improperly and you will be brought to a screen that asks you if you would like to use safe mode or start windows normally. Hold the button or pull the plug or something. Heh, or play Daggerfall until you crash.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:22:16 am »

I'm tempted to just use the method that says I can just rename the file, and the program will give up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:01 am »

Worse comes to worst you can copy your important files onto a USB key or two and wipe the drive. Oh, and reduce your sister's admin privileges when you set up her profile. :)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

Alright, I got a nifty crack program and that seems to have fixed it completely! How nice!

This is where I got it:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/02/20/download-wga-validation-crack-1991-1900091/

I have conquered you Microsoft!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 06:22:39 am »

can't you rollback to a previous system restore point?

IIRC that fixes it too. (and installing manually, deselection WGA then selecting "never show unselected updates again" should stop that nagging tray popup)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:04:12 am »

Honestly, I have no idea how to do that.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 08:55:38 am »

I'm not quite sure how to restart XP in safe mode.
1. Completely shut down your computer (not standby or hibernation).
2. Hit the power button to turn it on again.
3. Hit F8 repeatedly until your computer starts beeping at you (should come from the case, not your speakers). The screen should be black with a flashing white underscore at the top left corner.
4. Pick safe mode from the screen that shows up.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:37 am »

Honestly, I have no idea how to do that.
use the windows help function and search for "Using the System Restore Wizard"
This works only if you have allocated system resources to make SR points naturally.

I advice using restorepoints for anyone who has no techsupport, who installs/runs 'uncertified' software and those who experience frequent crashes.
personal data is preserved, only installed programs/drivers are removed.

It's not for making backups, just for ease of undoing stupid mistakes and other errors, such as installing nagware.

(you know when you have missed the cue to hit F8 when you see the green 'windows loading' bar. hit the reboot button. Powering down the PSU when running windows also gets you into safemode, but it is not recommended for your hardware nor software.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Venturi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:24 pm »

I use muBlinder
http://www.p2plife.com/forums/Official_muBlinder_Page-t320.html

it works extremely well and keeps up with the latest XP updates
It also allows you to check/download Microsoft updates

(users guide: http://www.p2plife.com/forums/muBlinder_User_Guide-t1371.html)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:44:29 pm by Venturi »

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »

I use muBlinder
http://www.p2plife.com/forums/Official_muBlinder_Page-t320.html

it works extremely well and keeps up with the latest XP updates
It also allows you to check/download Microsoft updates

(users guide: http://www.p2plife.com/forums/muBlinder_User_Guide-t1371.html)

OH YEAH.
THANKS MAN.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 04:14:33 am »

So my DUMB sister started up my computer, and thought "Hey, I'll download the Windows Genuine Validation that pops up, even though my brother explicitly told me to NOT install anything on his computer!" so now I have a RETARDED superimposed message on my desktop that says "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting!" which doesn't hurt, but is annoying, and I WON'T have it!

Has anyone else ever been bothered by this? I went to a website that details how to fix this "Nagware" and it gives a couple methods:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/04/26/disable-and-remove-windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

Can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of any of these methods? Anyone willing to hold my hand as I fix it, seeing as how I'm not quite sure how to do some of the things on this list?

At first, Microsoft only has one ActiveX component to check that you're using a legally purchased copy of Windows in some of the Windows Updates. That one I installed willingly.

Later on they added another one, which only purpose is to check regularly and pops up a warning message if it detects that your Windows is not a legal copy. That has nothing to do with validating during Windows Update, and is purely a pain in the butt for legit customers. I added this one to the "don't remind me again" list.
Pages: [1] 2