Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ADHD? I don't hav-oh look a chicken  (Read 3124 times)

dephelis

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear It
    • View Profile
Re: ADHD? I don't hav-oh look a chicken
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 05:08:13 am »

Off-Topic: Is there any way to make engravings not look like crap?  The smoothed walls look awesome, but the engravings remove the ability to distinguish wall from floor and just make the whole fortress look asthetically terrible imo

Toggle Engavings ... d -> v then select the engravings you want to toggle, it will restore the standard floor/wall look.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:14:01 am by dephelis »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:22:18 am »

You can also obscure engraving by default in the init, though both this metrhod and the manual DO leave your walls looking like they were before- they'll be a diferent, usually lighter, colour, and have a light grey background.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 12:49:04 pm »

If your big love is micromanagement use the init to reduce immigration. That way you can enjoy watching a smaller group of dwarves level up, fall in love so on. Your fort won't grow as exponentially as it would when it recieves immigrants but its growth will still be quite exponential as your original dwarfs go legendary in their fields. A small group of dwarfs should make all of your normal troubles even more exciting.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »

Thanks everybody, I am going to try stubornly as hard as possible to make it to HFS and clear it out without touching the init, but after that it will be fair game.

@Winterbass no thanks, I don't need 40d14 because my FPS does not drop, I always set the FPS low because like the man in my sig, I like actually watching the combat

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:20 am »

I build fortresses with adventuring in mind. You know, many z-levels deep so they later get populated by monsters. I try to make interesting weapons too (not necessarily powerful), and place them in vaults deep inside. For example, a throwing weapon chamber that holds 30 exceptional bismuth bronze spears (nice yellow color!) and 50 iron daggers (I planned to stud them with sterling silver, but did not complete the task). Too bad pressure plates do not work in adventure mode, with them we could build more diverse and nasty dungeons to explore...

Further advancing the idea, it is always fun to build a museum. It may be a collection of your artifacts, or a collection of masterwork mugs made from every kind of material, or gems, or even a historical museum (while you cannot move/arrange engravings, there are other ways to get recorded works or history, such as image-sewn ropes and decorated furniture). You can also combine it with specific flavor, for example, make your museum inside a temple to Armok that features magma pools and everything in red colors. Or build a small temple to each one of your in-game gods.

Also, I once wanted to set up a so-called "sports facility" and train sportsdwarves. Imagine a gauntlet where you first need to swim a long underwater tunnel, then shrug off several traps, outrun magma, survive a high down fall, and finally fight some gobbos. I would build several such facilities of various difficulty, and keep track of every sportsdwarf's performed feats, giving them custom titles based on that. You may borrow the idea. As it guarantees many dwarves dying, it's quite a challenge to keep the meat factorysports facility running and not succumb to a tantrum spiral.

Hope you'll benefit from these ideas, as well as other people.

EDIT: For some reason the forum currently lags so much that writing a post is piece of cake compared to the epic feat of fixing a typo :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:22:01 am by Murphy »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 07:35:42 am »

You can set traps to work in adventurer mode via inits, but you'll have to be careful not to build and cage traps.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 09:48:59 am »

Quote from: Rowanas
You can set traps to work in adventurer mode via inits, but you'll have to be careful not to build and cage traps.
Yeah, you can, but they still won't work. Do you honestly think I have not tried?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 11:21:18 am »

Really? Oh. Fair play. I didn't know that it was bugged.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 11:48:11 am »

Settle someplace without magma.

You always settle were there is magma, the majority of my magma locations are unihabitable and the rest have no water/sedimentary stone/flux/soil

@Murphy, wow that is brilliant, I am definitely going to try the "sporting arena", though I don't bother with DF adventure mode, making fortresses for other people's adventuring would be cool.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 08:29:07 pm »

*bump*

Anybody have ideas for cool embark locations or maybe megaprojects they had fun building?

With a little work we could turn this thread into a "Things to do in DF" sticky

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »

I started to build a sporting arena like suggested and I accidentally caused a massive cave-in that crushed my baroness' bedroom, destroying 2 artifact pieces of furniture and killing the baroness and 3 of her children. Anyways, now I have plenty of Fun to deal with.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

Aw.... i never get to have any fun like that.... maybe my problem is that I am far too lucky, i think i will try playing DF under a ladder, with spilt salt everywhere, on friday the 13th, maybe then....

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:06 pm »

It's not hard unless you make it hard. My first fortress fell to boredom, as has every other fort. Either that or I realise I've made an epic fuck-up 10 seconds in and lose.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 10:45:17 pm »

Rowanas, but that what I have been having trouble with, I can't finish any of my forts, nor get even progress that far.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 10:50:58 pm »

Shite, you're entirely correct. That's the problem we're here to solve :D

Blind leading the blind...
Pages: 1 [2] 3