Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d11] Dupe Glitch in Adventure Mode (for an artifact spear)  (Read 1630 times)

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d11] Dupe Glitch in Adventure Mode (for an artifact spear)
« on: August 19, 2009, 01:09:34 am »

(Alternate title: Shagogilbad, the infinite spear)

(This bug is a lot like http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=7973.0)

My Adventurer has a finely-crafted Cacao Bin containing Shagogilbad, an artifact aluminum spear from my previous fortress in that world. If he (r)removes Shagogilbad and wields it in his hand, another Shagogilbad remains in the bin in his inventory. In fact, he can do this arbitrarily many times, wielding five or six Shagogilbads. Even better, he can throw Shagogilbad - it will stay both where it lands and in the bin, but destroy all other copies.

If Shagogilbad gets stuck in some fleshy target, he can pull out more - his inventory will recognize them all as 'stuck', but you can see only one stuck in the target. Throw it, and it'll disappear off the target, allowing him to pull a fresh Shagogilbad from the bin...

I have the save file and can upload it if someone tells me how / requests it. I once single-handedly held a Mayor's house against some enemy humans by staying on the top floor tossing Shagogilbads as people came in - infinite ammo makes for fun standoffs... I honestly didn't even think to report this as a bug for a long time since I thought it was so entertaining. In case anyone is interested, I remember exactly when / how I retrieved it from my last fortress, because of some very unusual circumstances surrounding the other artifacts - the same thing happened to a sapphire ring, except with a Jeweler's shop instead of a bin, but I won't start telling stories unless people ask.

Best part of this? "Shagogilbad" means "the Static Guile" - duplicitous yet stationary.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:26:24 am by CursedBurger »

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] Adventure Mode Dupe Glitch (for an artifact spear)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:11:28 am »

Also, unrelated to the above as it's in a totally different world: corpses that have hauling jobs attributed to them in the 'j' screen but are not currently being worked on will never decay (as far as I can tell).

edit: I guess I should mention that the above world has some messing around with raws (was experimenting, first time I've messed with them) primarily making saltwater crocodiles tameable, but I moved the save to a different version of df (having only the Orc mod and some custom milkability added to some vermin) and the glitch still happens. I imagine the save will be compatible regardless of raws.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:16:10 am by CursedBurger »

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d11] Dupe Glitch in Adventure Mode (for an artifact spear)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

Aaand I just reproduced the dupe problem on another adventurer in another world. I abandoned the fortress, went back to it as an adventurer, grabbed the birchen bin full of artifacts and started tossing them around - they stayed in the bin no matter what. Unfortunately, these artifacts are much less awesome and much more disturbing: a leather head veil and a cave spider silk thong...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:31:28 am »

Yeah, the artifact duping bug is known, although it doesn't seem to have made it into the bug list:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37296.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28003.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=9703.0

Interesting to hear about the corpses.  It's been previously reported that tasked corpses in conjunction with items staying invisibly tasked after abandon/reclaim can result in the corpses not rotting, but it sounds like this wasn't on a reclaim?

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:58 pm »

Yup, I saw there were other topics on the subject but there wasn't anything about it on the bug list.

The aforementioned corpses have yet to begin to rot. One of them is a kitten's, one a dwarf champion's; both have an 'inactive' job for 'store item in stockpile,' with the stockpile listed as 'Graveyard Stockpile'. Both corpses are also inaccessible for all of my dwarves, as I raised the bridges to trap some orcs / prevent others from approaching. Meanwhile, the corpses of dwarves who died later (marksmen and recruits, who died to orc snipers) have already rotted away to bones (or dust), including some that should have been hauled to their coffins if it weren't for the trapped orcs. Also, one other dwarf who died out there has apparently rotted away to dust. Not sure what to make of that one.