Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ps3 slim  (Read 2078 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: ps3 slim
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:35:23 am »

But Activision needs more money!  How else will they satisfy their insatiable lust for more money?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 03:53:00 am »

Even as a fully trained businessman, I honestly wonder at why oh why they decided it would be a damn good idea to price games such that for 3 games, you can buy a whole new system.

Seriously. What kind of sense is that?! And they wonder why people find piracy so appealing or why used game sales are so high. It's really just the same as the record industry back in the day, when they charged an arm and a leg for songs.

At least PC games are much, much cheaper.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:44:24 am »

I hated eye of judgment, personally. Honestly, out of the few PS3 games I've bought, most of them haven't lived up to my expectations (Oblivion, Ratchet and Clank, Endwar, and fall of liberty) I'm just getting into rock band 2 (it was playing wayward son when I walked by!!) and CoD 4 lives up to all hype.

Well, I mostly got Eye of Judgement because card battle games are awesome and I have a friend to play it with. That and it was all of $20, which is about half the price of the Playstation Eye it comes with.

I'm mainly on board for LBP, MGS4, RE5 and the new Team Ico game.

Also, I remember paying up to $90 for Gamecube games a few years ago. Then the Canadian dollar actually became worth more than the American one for a month or two, and the stores all dropped to American prices, presumably because it made people start to actually question why we were paying twice as much when our currency was so close.

Prices are starting to creep back up now, though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:16 pm »

Well, being able to play PS2 games on a PS3 is a requirement for me (I never had a PS2 and it seems there's a lot of good games I missed out on). So I'll need to 80GB model?

Yeah, seems logical to wait 'till september or christmas price drop.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 01:28:35 pm »

Well, being able to play PS2 games on a PS3 is a requirement for me (I never had a PS2 and it seems there's a lot of good games I missed out on). So I'll need to 80GB model?

Yeah, seems logical to wait 'till september or christmas price drop.

The 80 GB model with backwards compatability was discontinued over a year ago, to save hardware costs (there were PS2 chips involved).

Doubtful there will be another price drop since they just dropped to $299.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42:26 pm »

To be frank, I'll only buy one if one of the following happens:
1. New Persona game gets released on PS3.
2. A homebrew measure for the PS3 is finally created.

I want to be able to play import games and run other cool homebrew on it dammit! Also the fact that PS3 games cost scarily close to $100 per game here is quite offputting.

Same. Plus, no backwards compatibility? Feh. I can think of two games I'd want to play on the PS3, that I can't play on my 360; Little Big Planet and possibly Valkyria Chronicles, that tacticsy game from Sega. But I hear it has horrible loading times.

Rather use the $300 toward a PC, if I had it to spend in the first place. Still, maybe someone will benefit from this.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 02:22:26 pm »

I'd been considering a PS3, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to get a used older model.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »

Of course, its perfect marketing. "All PS3s have full backwards compatibility with other playstations. Hundreds of games available immediately and cheaply." "Hey, we just removed full backwards compatibility, despite advertising it as a selling point originally. HA!
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 02:47:35 pm »

Looks pretty sexy.

But I'm still having fun with my slim PS2, so gonna have to pass.

In other news, Nintendo needs to put some new, decent, fun-to-play games on the WII, stat!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 02:55:12 pm »

Looks pretty sexy.

In other news, Nintendo needs to put some new, decent, fun-to-play games on the WII, stat!
There was this flowchart once. It basically went like this:

Do you have friends? If yes, then are they real?
Yes, no: Xbox 360
Yes, yes: Wii
No: PS3

I use my Wii for parties all the time. Never let me down yet. The other systems are really lacking in the party game, games for total game newbies area (read: girls). Mostly go with Wii Sports Resort, Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero, Mario Kart and House of the Dead. I can't really think of many games for it that are good for single player.

I do most of my main gaming on my PC and DS.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 03:02:31 pm »

Looks pretty sexy.

There was this flowchart once. It basically went like this:

Do you have friends? If yes, then are they real?
Yes, no: Xbox 360
Yes, yes: Wii
No: PS3

I use my Wii for parties all the time. Never let me down yet. The other systems are really lacking in the party game, games for total game newbies area (read: girls). Mostly go with Wii Sports Resort, Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero, Mario Kart and House of the Dead. I can't really think of many games for it that are good for single player.

I do most of my main gaming on my PC and DS.
Too true.

[rant]
I just think they're really under utilizing the sucker. I mean, the thing is only a few years old now, and their already remaking games that were on the 'Cube. Games that it can already play. Right now. SERIOUSLY!!

Meanwhile, I've been playing my brother's PS3, and games like inFamous (which is just cooler than shit) are really making me feel like I wasted money on the damn thing.

Maybe I should just get a handgun housing for the Wii-mote, pick up house of the dead, RE's IV and V, and Metroid Prime, and live with never getting a decent RPGish game on the Wii that doesn't involve Final Freaking Fantasy!!

[/rant]

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 03:06:27 pm »

My theory on the Wii and Nintendo is they decided to stop tryign to make good and better gamse, they already made enough tell.

Nintendo (and EA) is re-selling the entirety of gaming history to casual fags. RAEG.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »

My theory on the Wii and Nintendo is they decided to stop tryign to make good and better gamse, they already made enough tell.

Nintendo (and EA) is re-selling the entirety of gaming history to casual fags. RAEG.
I do not doubt that you and the PS3 will get along very well. It's like you were made for each other.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »

I do not doubt that you and the PS3 will get along very well. It's like you were made for each other.
Cash cow, it makes sense for them if all they want to do is make money.  Its what they will be known for, bringing in all the retro stuff and just reselling em. 
Sony doesn't want that image.  They want originality and new developers who will bring in fresh games.

PS3, good thing I got it at launch.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 07:08:42 pm »

More like made for the PS2. I'm not bothered by the fact that a lot of PS3 owners are bigots, but there is that they try to deny that Sony is screwing them over in a lot of ways. At least you get the basic service of playing games online for free, but their downloadable everything sucks. And the installation thing is basically something console gamers want to avoid. Still, the Sony-loyal developers have pumped out a few gems. Oh, and it's cheaper than most blu-ray players created explicitly for the purpose of playing blu-ray.

Pros:
*A handful of must-plays
*Horsepower
*PS2 games (with old version)
*Free and hassle-free online play
*Everyone can emphasize with my like of baguettes
*Blu-ray

Cons:
*Not many games
*Installation
*Not much online DLCs (I loved Castle Crashers, for example)
Pages: 1 [2] 3