Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ps3 slim  (Read 2073 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ps3 slim
« on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:02 am »

Okay okay pretty much anyone who even barely kept an eye on gaming news may have heard rumors of a slim version of the ps3 and now its offical.
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/sony-slashes-ps3-price-to-299-announces-new-slim-model/1344378
Thoughts? Comments?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: ps3 slim
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:14:30 am »

Smart move! Now people have options when picking a system instead of "which is cheaper?" because now two are exactly the same!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:15:24 am »

Way to make the people who spent more money for their larger PS3 with less memory feel glad they did so. That will encourage launch PS4 buyers.

On the other hand, good price reduction is good if you've been holding off. I wonder what the PSphat is going to cost after the Slim is out? I bet you an get a good deal on a used one that works fine when the time comes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:19:17 am »

I won't be buying one, mainly because I have one of the original 80 gig PS3s with full backwards compatibility. :3 Also, the PS3 slim looks weird and a little cheap. I like the looks of my obese PS3, cuz it's got curves in all the right places.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:02 am »

I won't be buying one, mainly because I have one of the original 80 gig PS3s with full backwards compatibility. :3 Also, the PS3 slim looks weird and a little cheap. I like the looks of my obese PS3, cuz it's got curves in all the right places.

Same for me.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:33:56 am »

Gee, aren't there enough PS3s on the shelves already. Do we really need more of them taking up precious game space? I can't blame them though. They need the help.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:50 am »

Mind you, I wonder how they've lowered the price, size, and power consumption while increasing the Hard Drive.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:08 am »

Cheaper parts. Nothing like switching screws for elmer's white glue to save cash.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:44:16 am »

Mind you, I wonder how they've lowered the price, size, and power consumption while increasing the Hard Drive.
Um a larger hard drive (ie space) doesn't nessesaraly need more power its only storage, plus advances in tech such as smaller chips and whatnot would allow them to shrink the ps3. Probably were able to get rid of a fan or something with the smaller size which probably would have been a good chunk of power and space itself.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:55:37 am »

To be frank, I'll only buy one if one of the following happens:
1. New Persona game gets released on PS3.
2. A homebrew measure for the PS3 is finally created.

I want to be able to play import games and run other cool homebrew on it dammit! Also the fact that PS3 games cost scarily close to $100 per game here is quite offputting.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 01:55:53 am »

Heh, maybe it's freon cooled. :)

Seriously though, it's been a couple years since it came out, plus they've had that time to improve the design. It's not unreasonable they managed to get smaller versions of the existing parts, minus a fan or so. And memory is improving for everything at an exponential rate.

I won't be buying one, mainly because I have one of the original 80 gig PS3s with full backwards compatibility.

Does the Slim not have backwards compatibility?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 01:57:11 am »

Nope, it doesn't have it. None of them ever since the launch models have backwards compabitility.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 02:12:20 am »

I might just be getting one of these at launch. Against all reason, it seems the Canadian pricetag is going to be $299 CAD, which is currently about $270 USD...So we're getting it for nearly $30 cheaper than you Americafolks. Cool.

I recently came into posession of an Eye of Judgement set, so a PS3 to go with it would be nice.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 02:41:58 am »

I hated eye of judgment, personally. Honestly, out of the few PS3 games I've bought, most of them haven't lived up to my expectations (Oblivion, Ratchet and Clank, Endwar, and fall of liberty) I'm just getting into rock band 2 (it was playing wayward son when I walked by!!) and CoD 4 lives up to all hype.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:19:26 am »

I would have gotten one if not for the fact that all games here for it cost 75 euros and never ever go down in price. And then activision is trying to up those to 85 euros....
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2 3