Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release  (Read 12896 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2009, 06:59:40 pm »

Also, for the people saying that they can't see any value in the new materials system.... have you been reading the devlog? Did you listen to the teaser for the next recorded call?!

A bronze colossus is no longer just a really tall guy with inexplicably hard skin. It's now actually a giant man made out of bronze, just like it should be. In fact they're now invincible, which arose just from the fact they're made out of solid bronze. If this doesn't excite you, you may be playing the wrong game.

The possibilites for creature creation alone are amazing. No more 'oh I want to make this guy out of stone, how much DAMBLOCK would that be worth?', you can just actually make the guy out of stone.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:43 pm »

Oh yes, the Iron Man will now be hollow and full of paralyzing gas.  Awesome.....*drools*

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2009, 07:04:36 pm »

Also, for the people saying that they can't see any value in the new materials system.... have you been reading the devlog? Did you listen to the teaser for the next recorded call?!

A bronze colossus is no longer just a really tall guy with inexplicably hard skin. It's now actually a giant man made out of bronze, just like it should be. In fact they're now invincible, which arose just from the fact they're made out of solid bronze. If this doesn't excite you, you may be playing the wrong game.

The possibilites for creature creation alone are amazing. No more 'oh I want to make this guy out of stone, how much DAMBLOCK would that be worth?', you can just actually make the guy out of stone.

I can imagine the BC with a molten core that, when breached, causes death. The fiery blood of the mountains indeed.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2009, 07:08:33 pm »

I can imagine the BC with a molten core that, when breached, causes death. The fiery blood of the mountains indeed.

It's hilariously cruel to everyone else, too.

"Haha! I finally damaged the OH GOD I'M ON FIIIIRE"

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:38 pm »

If something equivalent to [SEVERONBREAKS] is still around by then, I expect people to remove it, because the thought of a BC's arm breaking off and covering the breaker with molten metal is amazingly dangerous,
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2009, 07:31:07 pm »

It would just add another level of tactics into fighting:  "Never fight a bronze colossus in melee, or at least get away fast if you hurt it."  All part of the Fun of the game.  ;D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2009, 07:38:11 pm »

If something equivalent to [SEVERONBREAKS] is still around by then, I expect people to remove it, because the thought of a BC's arm breaking off and covering the breaker with molten metal is amazingly dangerous,

I would hope that this new material stuff will absolutely eliminate [SEVERONBREAKS], replacing it with a calculation regarding tensile strength vs shear strength of the limb in question.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2009, 07:39:26 pm »

I think this has been mentioned before.

Aha! Found it:

Quote from: Toady One
SEVER_ON_BREAKS or whatever it was is gone.  Under the "Some other unfinished business" below "Squads", you'll find "update brittle flag".  At that point, I'll either find it easy to update or not, and then handle it however.  Ideally, yeah, BRITTLE should go too.

Presumably, limbs getting severed will work off of actual tissue and attack interactions now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2009, 07:57:13 pm »

In fact they're now invincible, which arose just from the fact they're made out of solid bronze.

Solid bronze can melt :D

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2009, 08:35:10 pm »

In fact they're now invincible, which arose just from the fact they're made out of solid bronze.

And get put in cages!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2009, 08:40:18 pm »

Which I'm pretty sure Toady already changed, or at least is definitely planning to, as he alluded in the interview.

Personally, I love the idea of champions basically having the sacrifice themselves to kill the Colossus, by busting off a limb which then pours molten bronze all over the place.  Or just run, like Jason did.  You all did watch the videos in the interview chat thread right?  (If you hadn't already seen the best claymation in history.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »

Which I'm pretty sure Toady already changed, or at least is definitely planning to, as he alluded in the interview.

Personally, I love the idea of champions basically having the sacrifice themselves to kill the Colossus, by busting off a limb which then pours molten bronze all over the place.

This might be reaching a bit, but it would be great if you could KEEP the resulting bronzed dwarf. Have some sort of mortician scrape out the actual dwarves on the inside (using strong chemicals, probably), and keep what amounts to a bronze statue of a dwarf's heroic death. Now that's dwarven!

What did you mean Toady is changing, though? I don't recall.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2009, 09:14:40 pm »

That Megabeasts will probably be immune to cage traps by nature, being a rather anti-climactic way for an ancient animate statue to meet it's doom.  Or some other, more elegantly Toady-solution.

Keeping the bronzed dwarf is also awesome, though true dwarven design ethic dictates that it be displayed as found, including rotting contents and screaming, half-melted facial expression.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:29 pm »

Heh.  I'm more amused by the prospect of scooping up the molten bronze and making it into statues of the fallen dwarves.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »

Which raises the question of how you defeat a /steel/ colossus from Legendary Lands

That Megabeasts will probably be immune to cage traps by nature, being a rather anti-climactic way for an ancient animate statue to meet it's doom.  Or some other, more elegantly Toady-solution.

Keeping the bronzed dwarf is also awesome, though true dwarven design ethic dictates that it be displayed as found, including rotting contents and screaming, half-melted facial expression.

Actually I think the change was to allow things to escape cages, rather than just being immune to them
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10