Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Don't limit the neat stuff to mountainous regions  (Read 1085 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Don't limit the neat stuff to mountainous regions
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

Dwarves are mountain-dwellers by nature.  It makes sense that they won't find as much neat stuff anywhere else.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

I really don't agree on that adamantine-being-found-elsewhere thing.  *maybe* if it was in pure and unmined form, but otherwise...

Adamantine was put in specific places in order to trap nasty bad demons.  It was put there by god-level entities that manipulated it in HUGE vast quantities using geological kinds of powers.  I get the impression that those entities didn't do "weapons".  Unless another dwarven civ got to adamantine in the past, and previously made some of those weapons, they shouldn't exist.  Remember that the world was populated by modern beings a thousand or less years ago.

In fact, mountains might only exist because a god lifted up some ground and stuffed some adamantine under it.  Though I guess that's silly.

It might be that adamantine is very deep in most places, underneath the magma in fact and so it's inaccessable, but in mountains it's higher up--and it messes with the magma table a little, too.  Or got messed with the magma to push it up.

(Of course it could easily be true that other dwarf-class sentients already lived there long ago and got squished already.  Who knows.  But I envision these worlds as being very *fresh* and *new*, so tombs seem out of character... Unless they were populated by undead of a race that no longer lives.  And I wouldn't mind seeing more post-steel metals.  Okay, maybe I would go for those tombs if the monsters wielded a metal that can't be mined or forged at all anymore, even by dwarves, so theirs are the only ones.)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Basilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jiri Petru:
<STRONG> there could be antman collonies in the savannahs - intricate networks of narrow underground tunnels swarming with dozens of antmen.</STRONG>

This is a fantastic idea! It would be even better if the antmen could dig new tunnels, but then we'd also need a way to strengthen walls against being dug into from the other side. It would also lead into new military skills such as sapping.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

Well, at least caves, and underground rivers/lakes need to be possible outside of mountain biomes (as well as higher up, a less 'important' commodity). I really hate how I can't grow tower-caps because I have no such river or lake. Almost everywhere there is a somewhat extensive cave, there should be an underground lake/river. They would connect to the cave, but not be visible from the outset (cave must be explored some more first).

And caves can occur outside of mountain biomes, namely sinkholes and bat caves.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

More interesting features elsewhere than mountains would be very welcome. I tend to build on hills near plains and forests, and the most interesting thing that will hit you there is a layer of silt and then an aquifier...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

I agree that non-mountain areas should get extra things rather than everywhere getting mountain-exlusive features. Although as mentioned by others, some mountain-only features should appear in other biomes (underground rivers for instance). Adding more material modifiers (value and attack/block) to non-metals would be a good start, to encourage forest fortresses to build their shields out of the finest woods (plus making the elven traders somewhat more useful).

Having more overground crops / gatherable plants that are biome-specific would help move players away from mountains (although I know this is quite easily modded in). This would become even more important if their threads can be given quality modifers for equipment.

Making biome-specific megabeasts would also make the game a little more interesting (settle in the titan-infested plains or the hydra infested swamps?).

I also second adding things like undead-filled tombs or random sunken cities, but for whatever metal they wield I say that it should be its own unique one, perhaps even marked "unknown". A nice touch would be if a bar of it could be analysed in the alchemists shop to find out the ingredients.

Also, basic soils in general should be more interesting. Even if its only making it like sand except you can make mud bricks and turf (allowing the "construction" of muddy tiles).

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

Toady needs to optimize framerates a bit if all the fun stuff is going to remain on mountains.  Otherwise I'd recommend adding some other fun things to non mountainous regions.  

As it stands on a 3Ghz P4 I can't run mountains very well even if I shrink them down with temp/weather off (which means I usually miss some of the fun things as shown by Prospector).  

Playability needs to trump realism in this case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:00 am »

I like the idea of Adamantium only coming from Lava rich places with demons...

Can we PLEASE create other materials to put into these other areas that is not adamantium? Like Starmetal, Sagestone, Oricalcum, Mithril, World Root, Pharoh Gold, Celestial Jade, Mother Pearl, golden fleace (Hmmm... Legendary animals that give rare materials... I like it!!!), or something? Even if that means making a material equal in strength to Adamantium... I do not want this to become a theme where everything becomes a quest for the one material.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

A couple things I would really like to see:

1. On the topic of underground rivers, I think it would be awesome for them to be places as normal rivers, just underground.  The river could even pop up aboveground for a while, then go back under.  This would be more realistic than water falling in some random chasm, and more interesting as well.

2. Yes, we need more "uber" materials than adamantium, but there's the fact that these materials shouldn't be just as good as what adamantium does best: make rockin' armor and weapons that are really lightweight.  If more endgame materials are added, then they should be both a) really good at doing something adam. doesn't, and b) be accompanied by suitable challenges.  For instance:

Leviathan Blood: A rare material that is formed when a terrible creature dies in the Ocean.  Extremely strong out of water, but workable under-water.

Fire Tree Wood: A type of tree that can withstand a surprising amount of heat, withstanding the heat of magma even, partly due to its density.  While its heavy, and hard to work with, it has the most mysterious property of being able to fuse with metals.

Swamp Heart: A material sometimes found in the soil under a swamp, where various plant and animal matter has seeped into.  Looks and tastes disgusting, but when brewed, makes a drink so wonderful that those who drink it are imbued with the courage and valor of 10 dwarfs, and can perform superdwarven acts.

Anyways, what I really want in this game is huge elaborate dungeons to explore that are created in world-gen.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

Hold up a second. Your forgetting one big point, mountains do NOT have to appear aboveground. We call Hawaii an island but its actually the tiny tip of a big mountain sitting underground.

So its perfectly plausible to have cave rivers in the middle of hilly grass, as long as one of those hills happens to be a buried mountain.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

@swamp heart: So what happens when a dwarven babe falls into the cauldron?
 :D

I'd say whomever's job it would be, the workshop requires a metal cauldron.

---
2cts: I just hate missing out on the HFS just because I started in a non-mountain tile. (even more annoying to miss it because it was in the other half of the mountain. So use prospector you say? yes, but then I know where to dig.)
I want to add my support to the 'more types of HFS outside mountains' camp.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

Also...for those people complaining about magma, you can already find magma* virtually anywhere...deserts, glaciers, forests, etc. Open vents show up on the world screen even without utils.

* Yes, magma. Not talking about volcanoes, though of course they can be anywhere as well.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 06:51:00 am »

jup. Although the frequency varies per region.
I've had big worlds with just a single volcano with one vent
and a pocket world with many volcanoes and several vents in many other non-volcano areas.
--
just to be clear: I like not knowing what to expect, so I'm actually not arguing for having HFS in every region.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Areyar ]

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2]