Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games for the Queen  (Read 1133 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Games for the Queen
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:37 am »

No, I'm not looking for entertainment devices suited for a matriarchal monarchic audience.  I'm just looking for games with a Victorian England theme.

I'm looking for something that can pull off that good old stuck-up England atmosphere.  Steampunk is of course acceptable, but not really what I was looking for.  I think that there ought to be games out there that tap into the rich, filthy setting provided by that era.  And I'm certain there must be a couple oddballs around here who share my interests in this regard.

I mean, look at it...  It's a great untapped resource!  All these standard themes that have been trodden into the dirt by overusage, and then there's this perfectly useful setting that nobody seems to get into properly!  Or maybe I'm just nearsighted and can't see the blamed things.

So, in short, I'm looking for games with a Victorian age feel to them.  Either that or the stone age, since nobody uses that one either.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Games for the Queen
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:25:23 am »

Well, Arcanum is one game in that line.

Also: Victoria: an empire under the sun.

...this is a rather ambiguous theme. What are you looking for exactly? I think the Patrician games might be in the line, but they are not ambiented at the victorian era, but 4 centuries earlier.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:35:15 am »

Well, what I'm looking for is something that (preferably) places you inside large, old-age England cities.  Could be an RPG, could be an RTS, could be a simulator.  But just something to depict the setting to the best of its abilities.

Alright, I'll let you in on what first tipped me off to this idea.  I was playing the demo to Dracula: Origin recently, and got swept up in the foggy, dirty, and pervasively depressing atmosphere depicted in there.  I liked the stiff, practiced motions of the high-class, and the filthy freedom of the low-class.  I liked the friggin' clothing style.

What I'd like, is something that would allow me to explore all that more freely.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:51:34 am »

Lionheart? I don't remember the exact setting, but I think it was fantasy merged with something close to what you seek.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:15 am »

Lionheart has Queen Elizabeth I think, so it's not victorian. It's also depressingly linear and the game favours melee over magic.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:04 am »

EU: Victoria.

Yeah.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »

Empire: Total War covers that era pretty nicely.

Too bad the experience is kind of abortive without mods and Creative Assembly are being little bitches about their content.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:10:11 pm »

Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble is a bit post-Victorian, as its setting is late 1910s through 1920s, the flapper era.  It positively drips flavor, though.  Recommended.

Combat is not done by cutting the opponent down, but by cutting verbally through insults and innuendo and come backs.  Rather like Monkey Island 1, but with more realistic (and hurtful) insults.

It's $20, which I think is a bit steep.  I think it's worth $10 or so.  There is a demo.