Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth  (Read 3467 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Battle for Wesnoth
« on: August 18, 2009, 02:52:19 am »

I don't really feel like ressurecting that seven months old topic, so here we go again.

http://wesnoth.org/

The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based, hex-field strategy game with heavy RPG elements. It features a large selection of campaigns and a netplay mode (doubling as skirmish). Units are able to level up over the course of a game, becoming stronger and gaining new abilities. And, best of all, it's free and open-source.

There are, in multi-player mode, six factions to choose from, and at this point, I favor the drakes (Drake Gliders FTW). However, I only played local games against the AI, so I might be sucky. ;) Looking forward to netgaming tho... with other Bay12ers...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:02 am »

Quick question to anyone who can actually get into this game. Doesn't the extreme reliance on the RNG annoy you at all? The game felt less like -foo- tactics than a long series of dice rolls that never ended well for me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:42 am »

It did at first, but as you get better you realize that superior tactics will almost always offset the RNG's shenanigans.

You'll still lose to bad luck sometimes, but not nearly as often.
Shoes...

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:39:21 am »

The RNG only annoys me when I fail a 60% roll... 4 times in a row and the AI wins his 30% rolls a few times in a row. It seems to happen more often than you would statistically expect that too, but that's probably just me that hate losing  ::)

For some reasons, I never could get into the game outside the first official campaign. Skirmish/multiplayer never interested me because higher level units never seems to survive long and a zergling war doesn't appeal to me.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:51:16 am »

To all the RNG-haters - normally this is not thaat annoying, my luck usually offsets the occassional RNG-sheganians. I could tell you a lot about these goddamned vampire bats however... AARGH.

Alexwazer, get yourself a friend with lots of time and play Rough Lands or however that gigantic map is called. (I own a german version, and therefore can only provide translations of the german names) Four-player, I believe, and certainly takes its time. Also, nice amounts of partially high-level neutral enemies. You could also play Age of Heroes era, if you want to be able to recruit level two units right off the bat.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:56 pm »

If I wanted to play against you guys, should I be getting the developmental or the stable version?
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:08:27 am »

If I wanted to play against you guys, should I be getting the developmental or the stable version?

This.
Also, what advantages does the dev version have?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 02:13:39 am »

Its got more shinies. I'm going to get it, anyway, since I'm the sort of boring gamer that never messes around and does stuff likely to crash a game.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:40 am »

Scooping through the changelog, it's mainly graphics updates, one more campaign (about Delfador, apparently), addition of dwarvish recon line and updated translations. I fail to see any major potential for crashes. That being said, downloading for the eyecandy.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:20:57 am »

Bump. This thread doesn't deserve to die.

Anyway, I never played multiplayer before, and I'd like to start with other players here that I at least nominally know. I use the dev version (two crashes so far, but I think MP should be stable), and, well... Looking for a match today (time here: 16:20). Heck, I don't even know what faction to use. I generally tend towards Loyalist tho... (I used to like Drake, but I can't really get into that faction. I might try Northern p'haps.)

justinhoffman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 10:44:59 am »

The scope of wesnoth is impressive to be sure.

There is some depth to the game play, but the game becomes tedious quickly and I don't feel that I am given enough options beyond positioning my forces to affect game play.

Everything plays too similarly for me.  It would be nice if there were more interesting and varied combat options.  Perhaps an additional resource in game that allows the ability to cast spells.  Maybe a system that lets you build a squad and progress through the mission using a limited amount of resources.  Perhaps some more powerful secondary effects to combat.  But the game play was lacking for me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:10 pm »

I just discovered this game, quite good. Its actually been taking more of my time than dwarf fortress lately, as it takes a smaller investment of continuous time to get in and get some game on.

What annoys me is that sometimes, as a unit levels up, it looses abilities. For instance, elven sorceress's can no longer heal.

I too would like to see something that separates units a bit more. For instance, active unit abilities.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27:29 pm »

I would like to see more good campaigns! I think the developers are working on a different project.
I got nothing

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:55:13 pm »

If you want more abilities or options or campaigns, there's always the option of making your own mod. It's an idea I've been toying with lately, actually, but I probably won't get it done...
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 04:11:10 pm »

I would love this once archers get an actual range to them. The type where you can have an infantry blockade and still have them fire over at the enemies, instead of subjecting them to melee.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2 3