Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96283 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Submit your Fortressess; Judging begins soon!
« Reply #690 on: January 11, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »

Yes, we're working to get competitions running again.

I'm working on hosting either Masters Contest #3 or Masters Challenge #2. We'll see what I come up with, but it'll be painful regardless. Trying to get it up in the next couple of days.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2010, 06:22:27 pm »

Okay, I've sent PMs to all the judges. The first wave of PMs to the players is out as well. The rest of the PMs to the players will have to come later. Stupid hourly PM limit.

Repeated here for your convenience,

JUDGES

If you are signed up to be a judge on the first page, please let me know if you are interested in judging maps either by PM or by post in this thread. If you are not signed up to be a judge and you wish to be a judge, please let me know either by PM or by post in this thread.

PLAYERS

If you are a player, please post whether you want to compete or not. If you have an unfinished fortress and want time to complete it, post in this thread so that we can discuss it.

If you are a player with a completed fortress, please send me in a PM the download link to your final save, as well as a list of the five projects you wish the judges to score. Please be prepared to provide links to your yearly backup saves as well.

I'm going to tentatively schedule judging to start in two weeks. I'm prepared to extend it if players want more time to finish, or if there are not enough judges, but I will not extend the deadline indefinitely.

JUDGING BEGINS MONDAY, JANUARY 25TH!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2010, 06:26:55 pm »

I'm going to tentatively schedule judging to start in two weeks. I'm prepared to extend it if players want more time to finish, or if there are not enough judges, but I will not extend the deadline indefinitely.

JUDGING BEGINS MONDAY, JANUARY 25TH!

Geez man, are you for real? Isn't judging already overdue by several months? I don't want to be rude, but extending is insane. I understand the time you need to give everyone to submit their entries, but really I can't see how on earth you could even consider extending more time.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »

Because I'm a nice guy and I want to give people a chance to finish up fortresses for a competition they probably thought was dead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »

Because I'm a nice guy and I want to give people a chance to finish up fortresses for a competition they probably thought was dead.

The reason it's been dead is that everyone got sick of waiting for the judgement. You can read the comments and see that, surely? Give em til the 25th to submit, and have a hard time limit. Most people are beyond caring at this point, but surely the fact that 20 different previous "final time limits" have been set should tell you that you can stop delaying it. It's not about being a nice guy. If you want to make it about being a nice guy, then my advice is to be a nice guy and finish it as has been promised repeatedly for months.

Edit: I would go further and say that if you extend it, you're really being a jerk to everyone who has waited so long and worked so hard on it. People have had ample, repeated notices of "submit now or never" for weeks and weeks on end. It's time to be decisive and do this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:44:34 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »

If its opened to the 25th, May I have another attempt at it, RL such as work and family decreased my playtime before and was unable to complete anything useful...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 11, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »

Sign me up. I'll try my best :P
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 11, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »

Architect, there's no need to be rude to Jim and Martin. They're doing me, and all the participants a service by getting judging up again. If you want to rant about belated judging, feel free to send me a PM, as I'm the one who dropped the ball in regard to this.

Also, here's hoping that some of the awesome fortresses you guys cranked out finally get the recognition they deserve! Good luck to you all.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm making a valid point and nothing else. There is no point in delaying the actions, and I politely put forward this opinion as strenuously as I could. If you read a rude tone of voice into it, that's purely your perception.
The sigs topic:

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:58 pm »

Not sure where to ask this, so going here:

Will the next contest/competition have a large overpurposed goal aside from just being exceedingly challenging (somewhere there was discussion of 'empty wagon and no-skill dwarves dropped into hell')? I'm personally a fan of having some general goals to strive for (ie. first contest's 'bridge over water' focus), and I'd like to offer the idea of making the embark in a small region with excessive amounts of z-levels and challenging players to focus on tower-building.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:16 pm »

As it happens, I'm working on the next challenge now. The previous voting preference was first survival and then construction.

What we do depends on where we do it. If we do a final 40d challenge, I'd make it a fairly short survival deal. If we do a first challenge of the new version, it'll probably be a more traditional fortress/construction focused on new features. Any thoughts?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:14 pm »

Judging by the flow of forum traffic and the general lack of success of all community-involved projects lately, I would suggest waiting for the new version. My prediction is that any attempt at a contest now would fall flat.

As far as what the contest should be? Someone once put forward an "underground city" suggestion, in which you carve out (from the natural rock and caves) a "realistic" fantasy underground world, complete with multi-story underground buildings, lavaflows, a natural-feeling multilevel towercap farm, etc. Given the details of the new version that challenge sounds extremely feasible and interesting. You could even include camps of subterranean cultures and a huge gem in the roof Eragon-style.
The sigs topic:

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 11, 2010, 11:06:55 pm »

Yeah, that's ballpark of what I was thinking. Since nobody really knows jack about the balance, bugs, and tricks of the new version, everything is a challenge, so the goals would be relatively modest but geared toward exploring all of the new bits.

Looking more at the to-do list, it's really damn short now. Mostly bugs and consideration of rope ladders. I think we're too close to pull a 40d challenge together. I'll organize to get a challenge for the new version up quite soon after its released.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27:41 am »

Oh bother, I was going to finish my fortress and THEN get all in Solifuge's bonnet about dropping this.

'tis annoying, because most of the projects are done, but the last mumble mumble re-engineering mumble...paper mumble...king mumble...

As for DFM3: Loyalty Cascade Edition
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

Sign me up. I'll try my best :P
If its opened to the 25th, May I have another attempt at it, RL such as work and family decreased my playtime before and was unable to complete anything useful...

Eztuzt, Neyvn, you're welcome to attempt the challenge once again but I will only extend the deadline one week after the 25th, and only if it's requested. After that, it's tough luck.

So if you can run an eight year fortress in two weeks be my guest.

The rest of the PMs to the players are out. I'll look through the thread to make sure that people who've already posted their fortresses are eligible for judging even if they don't respond to the PM.

I might also ask for someone to provide 3d visualizer shots for forts that don't have any.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 52