Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96355 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Submit your Fortressess; Judging begins soon!
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2009, 01:59:58 am »

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I *will* submit my map!

In the morning.

I've got 18 days left before spring, and I want to do as much cleanup as I can.

And so I ask of you: how do I get an artifact out of a bin?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2009, 03:33:50 am »

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that dumping the bin works, if you make the arti-stockpile stop using 'em. (Then again, I suspect they'd just haul the bin back.)

Or, as I hear artifacts are indestructible (something I personally doubt), liberal application of magma. But I don't recommend trying it now, for obvious reasons.

Strange tidbit: Wells do not block pumping.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:43:03 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 02, 2009, 09:38:43 am »

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I *will* submit my map!

In the morning.

I've got 18 days left before spring, and I want to do as much cleanup as I can.

And so I ask of you: how do I get an artifact out of a bin?

Create a stockpile which only holds artifact quality whateversitis. Mark the stockpile it's in to not hold artifact quality thingers. Someone will come along and move it from the one to the other (provide it's not forbidden).

Artifacts are most assuredly destructible. But they are undumpable.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 02, 2009, 01:31:07 pm »

Create a stockpile which only holds artifact quality whateversitis. Mark the stockpile it's in to not hold artifact quality thingers. Someone will come along and move it from the one to the other (provide it's not forbidden).

Artifacts are most assuredly destructible. But they are undumpable.

I did that for most of my artifacts, but one of them went inside a bin, and that didn't work.  Apparently, dwarves won't fetch things out of bins to put into a stockpile.

I researched a bit, and the advice seems to be "get the bin into a stockpile, and then have your artifact stockpile (t)ake from the first one".  I did this, and gave it 14 days, and no dwarf came to take the artifact out of the bin (even with 60-70 of them idling), so I can't speak to the veracity.

Then I realized that the bin was copper, so I melted it down.  Problem solved, and it got stowed into the museum just in time.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2009, 03:30:58 pm »

Map is done!  Four days late, but better than never...

Download

Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

I played this one "dwarfy", where "dwarfy" is "embodying the rules that I usually ignore in Dwarf Fortress":

1) All nobles were kept alive.  In addition, their requirements, mandates, and demands were actually followed instead of ignored (as the legendary dining room is usually proof against any unhappiness caused).  For the most part, the mandates were easy stuff -- scepters, quivers, querns, maybe the occasional black bronze.  However, the duke would occasionally mandate large gems (difficult; lost a dwarf to failing one of these), and the duke's consort liked to mandate stuff made out of bismuth.  You can't make anything out of bismuth.  My supply of bismuthinite was small, but adequate.

2) A Sheriff was appointed, rather than left vacant.  A vacant Sheriff means that no Justice will be served; having a Sheriff appointed means that you need to watch out for the Hammerer.  I managed only three violations through the eight years; only one of those was fatal (why did a leatherworker get punished for missing a large gems mandate?  Who knows?)

3) The suggested number of Royal and Fortress guards were drafted.  So the huge fighting force of 25 or so dwarves that could trample my enemies was instead useless and unmanageable, and indeed, as far as I could tell, did exactly nothing.  They certainly didn't catch and kill any kobold thieves that made it into my fort while it was open, I can tell you that.

4) Alcohol was not cooked.  In addition, all of the underground plants were harvested and used, to give a wide selection of food and booze, instead of unending stacks of plump helmet roast and dwarven wine.

(I did not, however, make coins.  Enough FPS problems as it was.)

Project List:
#1: Sign
#2: Pump Towers
#3: Hammer
#4: Pick
#5: Sacrificial Pyramid

Along with subprojects:
A. Be dwarfy (as above)
B. (Untested automated) drowning chamber.
C. Waterfalls through dining room.

But, enough of that.  Pictures!

Status Screen
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overview Picture

Sign

Pump Towers

The Hammer

The Pick

Sacrifical Pyramid

Dining Room

Exploratory Mining

Drowning Chamber

Human History

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:36:43 pm by Magua »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »

Also, I saw Martin asking for Visual Fortress screenshots, so here are some screenshots of his fort:

Bird's eye view

View of the front

View from the side

Ground level view

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 02, 2009, 04:05:45 pm »

Magua,

Wow, that is seriously cool. I love how the pyramid turned out in the visualizer, and using the hammer and pick as water/magma deliverers to the pyramid is inspired. I had considered doing a large aboveground construction with obsidian but I couldn't figure out a good way to get the materials up high that didn't seem contrived.

That's a wicked amount of work. Well done.

And I too like weak weapon traps. Among other things, if the first few lines of traps are really weak, enemies get wounded but don't clog up the traps because they don't die there. Sometimes highly efficient traps are too efficient, get jammed, and then your defenses are gone.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 02, 2009, 04:12:32 pm »

Thank you so much for running visualizer on my fort. It does a nice job with the battlements on top. The windmill tower/pump looks much larger than I imagined and unfortunately provides a nasty blind spot for my soldiers - ninja spawns are almost always right behind that thing.

I think I should have worked more color in. The green is pretty monotonous.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 02, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »

You're welcome -- you gave me the pleasure of locking up my computer for five minutes, it's the least I could do in return.  =P

As for the green: A little color, yeah.  I'm getting to the opinion that it's good to have a 95% solid color, with 5% accents.  It's actually kind of annoying, having a really good legendary dining room and then looking at it in Visual Fortress and realizing that because a third of it was mined out of a microline cluster that it looks garish.  My nobles' rooms look garish because I put the highest value stuff in there, not necessarily the stuff that looked best together.  One of the charms and aggravations of DF, I suppose.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:43 pm »

You're welcome -- you gave me the pleasure of locking up my computer for five minutes, it's the least I could do in return.  =P

Did you get the levitating wagons? If you pull the lever right away from the save, the wagons will still be on screen and everything falls except for them. Kinda cool.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 02, 2009, 11:19:02 pm »

hey, Magua, could you post VF pics of my fort to?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 03, 2009, 01:07:38 am »

It won't run on my machine at home, but I can certainly do it Monday.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 03, 2009, 06:21:44 am »

and the duke's consort liked to mandate stuff made out of bismuth.
Tip: Mandates for metal items...can be filled by smelting bars of the metal. It's also number of items, not jobs executed. Certainly helps with my gold-loving countess. So, then, gold items [4/4] could be smelt gold(1) forge gold goblet(1)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 03, 2009, 07:28:46 am »

I'm out for this contest. I don't have enough free time to finish it. Maybe I'll post my unfinished map on DF Map Archive.

Eight years are really too long, and, in the end, I think that a survival challenge needs to be magma-free. It was too easy with it.

@Magua: nice pyramid!
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 03, 2009, 07:49:16 am »

I kind of got distracted from the map just now.
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52