Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96272 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: DEADLINE CHANGE: Monday 9/28
« Reply #570 on: September 26, 2009, 05:00:49 pm »

I'm just happy that I finished my main goals and learned a bunch of new stuff.

Which reminds me that I need to pack the place up for submission.

A week or so ago you had also mumbled about making some new discovery that you were going to write up - not until the submissions are in (altho' it may be far too late to implement now) - but we wanna hear!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 26, 2009, 06:22:35 pm »

Not so sure if it's a new discovery but a refinement of technique. Basically I spent so much time doing one thing that I was able to try a mass of different things and draw some conclusions.

I'm not sure anyone has ever done this on quite this scale before (at least I haven't found any references to it), and even if they had, it was new to me and mighty cool.

(And I LOVE ninja legendary crossbow goblins. Of course, I invested a lot of energy in defending against ninja legendary crossbow goblins so I was happy when they finally arrived.)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »

I don't think I'm gonna finish. All my Dwarf Fortress time comes at my brother's mercy, since he has the computer.

It looks like I won't get much time this weekend.

I'll try and finish it up, of course, if I do miss the deadline.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 26, 2009, 08:45:18 pm »

I don't think I'm gonna finish. All my Dwarf Fortress time comes at my brother's mercy, since he has the computer.

It looks like I won't get much time this weekend.

I'll try and finish it up, of course, if I do miss the deadline.

You must embody the dwarfs, and woop his ass.
(And I LOVE ninja legendary crossbow goblins. Of course, I invested a lot of energy in defending against ninja legendary crossbow goblins so I was happy when they finally arrived.)
:o

You....
 :o

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:17 pm »

As we're getting down to the last days, how are you guys feeling? Do you think you'll be able to get your forts finished in time? Also, to those who are finished, how confident are you feeling?

I have 5 seasons to go.  My technical bits are done, but I suck at building good architecture, and so I put that off until last, and now I'm not sure I'll finish.  Also found I didn't have nearly enough metals, so had to do a lot of exploratory mining, which kind of ruined the minimal aesthetic. =P

But I'm confident that my fort is neat, even if I can't make it look neat in Visual Fortress...

(And I agree on the cause of the cave-ins, by the way.  It was just annoying, since I then had to switch around what source fed what pipe.  A lot of the underground around that area just looks messed up, now.)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2009, 11:40:52 pm »

Goddamnit.

I was going to include an extra save in my upload (you'll understand why when you see the map) and I must have accidentally thrown it away when I cleaned up my saves.

I'm replaying several months in order to get things prepared for the big moment, so it'll still be there but it's not part of the fortress lineage (it's mid 107 so it won't represent an actual state between spring 107 and 108. It's close, but I'm ignoring most of what I did during this period.). It's not part of the judging so I figure that's okay, but y'all would be pissed if I didn't give you the save to play with. :)

Most everything is now written up. I'll submit as soon as I get this done - either tonight or tomorrow. Having not even looked at it for the last week+, I'm actually much happier with the result than I was when I had just finished it. Good lord was it a massive pain in the ass...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2009, 11:58:40 pm »

Sorry Sol, I've been sick. I'm in year 104 now, I thought I was farther along on time based on numbers. It may take a bit. Also got caught up reading Headshoots.

...are 77 goblins in the second seige normal? Oddly, one squad spawned partly in and partly out of my walls. NAturally, not in the place I was anticipating. ::)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:17:02 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 27, 2009, 12:53:02 am »

A bit high for the second siege, but it's really a function of fortress wealth. If you got a good artifact in there, then 4-5 squads isn't unusual. I forget if my 2nd was 3 or 4 squads, but I think I was up to 5 by the 3rd siege and I didn't get most of my wealth until the last 2 years.

Get used to it. I think in year 106 I got a total of 14 squads. I got sieged every season. Fortunately I dispatched one of the sieges fast enough for the caravan to still arrive. Ninjas are kinds nice that way - they show up right on top of your defenses and WHAM! the siege is over.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 27, 2009, 01:09:50 am »

Well, I hit 7 figures... artifacts are only a fraction of it. They're all in the 5-figure range (I think) and wealth passed 1M a bit ago. I made a few dozen native aluminum/gold mechanisms, and made traps of them for double value. Incidentally, got a mooded clothier, which means I have 3/5 of the cloth item production chain at Legendary. Grower can't mood, but is legendary naturally. Thresher nor miller affect qualities. Dyer can't mood, alas.
just using most convenient tool here...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:31:21 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 27, 2009, 05:56:10 am »

Gah looks like I will not be able to finish this. Should have not started playing Haven and Hearth mid way through, took all my mind of this. And now during the last few days, I am having relationship and work issues that are distracting me more so then ever before.

I will be unable to finish this fort, and I had great hope for it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 27, 2009, 08:15:20 am »

dammit goblin seige! Your ruining my framerate!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 27, 2009, 09:31:08 am »

I'm currently in the mid-winter 104. It'll be difficult to finish in time, but I'll try. Oh, and I saw Martin's map : awesome! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 27, 2009, 10:31:23 am »

Still chugging through 105 but I'm mid-winter now. I don't think I'm going to finish but we'll see.

Also had a titan but couldn't get cage traps down in time to capture it :(. Oh well.

I'm also one lucky bastard. I accidentally just dropped a bunch of 1/7 magma globs over the most trafficked area of my fort but all the dwarves managed to avoid getting rained on.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 27, 2009, 11:32:52 am »

I'm currently in the mid-winter 104. It'll be difficult to finish in time, but I'll try. Oh, and I saw Martin's map : awesome! :D

Sneaky!

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »

ok, it's fall of 207. I'm finished all my megaprojects, but due to a recent siege, my game is so laggy it takes several minutes per day.

Can I submit my final map early?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52