Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96284 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: DEADLINE CHANGE: Monday 9/28
« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »

If you are casting through the aquifer all you have to do is leave one sand square untouched then channel down into it to create a sand floor tile without letting any water leak.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »

when i press the question mark key i get É. i need help, damnit!

exit and re-enter your web browser. Works for me.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2009, 01:18:09 am »

Heh... I think Family and Girlfriends should be included into the allowances for Savescumming. I have had soooooooo many Caveins that should never have happened (no one was under or sucked in or fell far enough or landed hard enough to take a Yellow Wound, Lucky me so far)...

Been distracted by Girlfriend, Family and the wonderful Game 'Haven and Hearth' that I haven't done much work on my fortress, thank you Sol for increasing the Time allowance, but really, if we have four weeks after the 30/8 shouldn't it end on the 30/9 considering that 4 weeks is a month (maths not included). Baring myself from H&H I am now back in the running.

As a side note, Dwarf Therapist is now Cheat Free...
You can no longer adjust Champ/Baby/Noble skills with the current update. I have been using it honestly till now, mainly cause I hate having to hit, V>P>L> HUNDREDS OF DOWN ARROWS and enters for all the Masons I am needing. Also, the Just Dig it Utility was needed for my work. I FUCKING KNOW THAT THE STONE IS DAMP >_<...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 22, 2009, 04:15:59 pm »

Played a little more last night. Got through most of the summer in my fourth year, though it took two hours to get through it. The molds for my obsidian walls are coming up quite nicely, and I can now safely break through the aquifer from the pump method. That's three different aquifer penetrations down. Project one, almost completed.

I'm working on collapsing a few aquifer tiles from below as a fourth aquifer penetration, but I don't know how well it's going to work. It's going to need a lot of preparation, and since I'll be digging the aquifer from below, there will probably be lots and lots of cancellations.

So I might flood my fortress, or I might have a permanent drain. Either way, it should be impressive.

Unless I somehow get lots of free time with a computer (capable of playind Dwarf Fortress), I think I'll miss the deadline, but it's not for lack of trying. I'll work at it, even past the deadline, because, well, a Dwarf Fortress Master would settle for no less!

There was lots of time between the submission deadline and judging for Round 1, so, unless Solifuge is more organized with judging this time around, I might still have a lot of time left.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2009, 10:35:01 pm »

unless Solifuge is more organized with judging this time around, I might still have a lot of time left.

This.

You and me both.  8)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 22, 2009, 10:39:06 pm »

CobaltKobold cancels play DF: Ill.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 23, 2009, 08:56:01 pm »

This is hilarious.

I just got a new mayor, who used to be a peasant and he got all uppity and demanded a room and some gauntlets. i promptly told him to go to my reservoir(i got aquifer water, pump it to another room, and then two more into my tower) by building a level, and then i was going to channel out of the water rooms wall. he then jumped into the pool to drown.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 23, 2009, 11:33:30 pm »

I don't know how I missed this but lol, we're the 'conjurers of vegetables'.

Oddly fitting given that I have some 4000+ prepared meals mostly from veggies.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 24, 2009, 04:18:32 pm »

So, I played a little bit more two nights ago.

Apparently, four legendary miners aren't smart enough to dig out the up/down staircase adjacent to a channeling designation before digging out a channel. I lost all four legendary miners to them channeling out the tile they were standing on, and them subsequently falling down about eight level. I am now left with one legendary miner.

One of the miners was the mayor's wife. I've done so much crap to this guy; I get his baby accidentally drowned in the aquifer, and then I get his wife killed by poor designations. I would feel sorry, but he hardly seems to notice.

One of the miners was severely injured after his fall, and he managed to get rescued. Unfortunately, all his friends were dead, so was tantrumming all the while he was resting. And then he went berserk. While I tried to get soldiers down there, the mayor's dogs occupied him. Except he ignored them for the most part and instead started pummeling the starting mason, whose broken head hadn't healed since he got the injury during the first year. My soldiers then arrived and killed the bastard. But the mason still bled to death. No big loss, I thought, the jackass still hadn't healed.

I had a cool artifact. A wooden animal trap, named "The Proliferation of Punches". That's an artifact I can get behind.

Now working on digging out the fourth aquifer penetration. Those four legendary miners would've come in handy in digging it out, because right now I'm training the swimming of everybody trying to carefully use ramp designations to drain teh first aquifer into the second, and for a carefully arranged cave-in. It has been slow, frustrating progress.

Also building the mold for the walls. That's taking some time.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 24, 2009, 05:23:16 pm »

gahhh!
I was testing out my collosium, with 2 megabeasts and some goblins. The goblins were slaughtered, so I decided to trap my Hydra, Titan, beak dog, and slime. This is where the fun began. The Hydra and slime were caged, but the titan and beak dog had the fortune to sneak out. I started the recording just after the loose titan kicked a peasant off of the bridge over magma. another peasant he chased back onto the arena, pwned him, and ran back out. several champians were slaughtered, but eventually the titan was chased into a cage trap. (off camera)

question: how do i upload DF videos?

edit: Judges; will you (and Armok) look favourable upon me if I declare war upon the elves?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:39:23 pm by Vieto »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 24, 2009, 05:51:21 pm »

If you don't have roads lined with elf skull totems, what will you have to show for it?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 24, 2009, 05:57:30 pm »

If you don't have roads lined with elf skull totems, what will you have to show for it?

True.

I need to let my Goblins win at least some of the stadium battles

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 24, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »

......and, so I turn the pumps on.

FPS drops to 4.

*sighs*
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 24, 2009, 09:01:34 pm »

my magma-fall is not as impressive in Dwarf Fortress Visualizer than I had anticipated.

anyways, my megaprojects are essentially finished, I just need to spend the last year doing finishing touches.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2009, 10:19:08 pm »

I learned many things playing this challenge.

Today, while I already knew that dropping water onto magma creates obsidian, I learned that dropping magma onto water creates cave-ins.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 52