Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96204 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #495 on: September 17, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

Sadly I must resign this round. I defend my thesis on the due date for this game, so I haven't had enough time to work on the fortress. I'm at year 4, and given my FPS, there's no way I'll be finishing.

Awesome map, and the 8 years is a good challenge to finish a set of megaprojects.

My megaproject:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah well. I suspect I'll finish this thing after the competition ends. It is a fun idea.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 17, 2009, 05:04:15 pm »

Done!

Megaproject complete. Most of the other projects complete (or reasonably so) - more reasonably so than the first round at least. I'm not going to post/upload until around the deadline though. Fortress hit age of legends right at Spring 108.

Hang in there everyone. My megaproject took 5 years to complete, but, to be honest, there's not that much to show for it. It was more of a personal challenge given that I rarely play aquifer maps. Overall, it's a fairly vanilla fortress, but fairly reminiscent of the first challenge.

165 dwarves, 15 military, 11 casualties. Something like 8 sieges (lost count, I was getting one every season for a while). 3 megabeasts (2 titans, 1 hydra). Once the initial defenses got up and running (carefully directing my dwarves away from the critters) everything was relatively safe (as much as probably can be expected on a ninja map). Respectable fortress worth, but I never really focus on worth that much, so anyone trying should be able to beat it easily.

15 artifacts:
1 amulet
2 cabinets
1 mask
1 bow
2 rings
1 mug
1 armor stand
1 crown
1 table
1 leggings
1 scepter
1 bed
1 millstone

The most valuable item was the scepter - native aluminum - 244K bucks.

I'm going to go play with the new visualizer now.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 17, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »

drat! my high-power purpetual motion device outputed 1.3rd of it's expected power output. Disappointing.

Must... finish... magmafall...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 18, 2009, 01:14:36 am »

Giving an extension to players that need/want one is probably a fair idea.

Well, it's certainly no better than "fair".  ;D

Actually, it's only fair if the decision is announced NOW to extend it.  If some players bust ass to finish all 8 years, probably cutting corners on design , planning or execution to do so, and others find they have extra days to finish that last year, those that finished cannot then go back and "redo" those years with that extra time in mind.

Extend or not, but don't wait until the deadline to make the decision.  The weekend is on the horizon - let people know now!

Edit...
Deadline Monday, 9/21

WAIT a minute! What happened to 4 weeks?!!!  The map went up on August 30 (see page 10 of this thread) - last I checked 4 weeks later is the 27th, not the 21st.

Sol, 4 weeks before the 21st you were still on vacation, and the map (as far as any of us knew) existed solely in our fears and your imagination.  What's up wi' dat?!  >:(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:27:51 am by Albedo »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 18, 2009, 11:32:22 am »

Huh.

Well, I think the deadline should be the 27th at the earliest, then. That should help Jim and Quatch. It'd be nice to see a large number of submissions.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:35 pm »

Elementary addition failure? sounds like grounds for an extension. *eyebrow*

Hard to stay motivated right now...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 18, 2009, 04:02:52 pm »

Huh, I guess we've been shortchanged on time a little.

I think a deadline for the 28th would please a lot of players here. I know I'd be a lot happier if I had an extra weekend or two, since I don't have frequent access to computers capable of playing Dwarf Fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

rosedrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 18, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »

it's not too late for me to sign up today and finish in-game eight years!

i just hope that there won't be skeletons.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 18, 2009, 11:19:14 pm »

It's certainly not too late, but good luck.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2009, 12:39:53 am »

Nobody seems to be encountering undead, actual-A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED-ly. Minor ninja, one region from edge. two dwarfs who decided to meet the bowgobs are wounded, one dead. edit: One dead and her baby. Husband is...ecstatic still.

Chef-guy got elected o'er incumbent miner/smith. Figures, since he's got fewer duties.

I, too, have other obligations this weekend though
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:34:42 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: DEADLINE CHANGE: Monday, 9/28
« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2009, 07:44:32 pm »

Okay, after reasonable arguments, and after the polling results, I'm extending the deadline by 1 week, until 9/28. We'll see just how many contestants can submit their forts by then!

Also, there's (to my knowledge) been no Undead on the map. There are, it would seem, 2 distinct types of Evil terrain; "Undead" Evil, and "Monstrous" Evil. This is the latter sort of Marsh, with all sorts of fun evil critters that (as I gather) most DF players haven't tangled with before.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 19, 2009, 09:41:26 pm »

Also, there's (to my knowledge) been no Undead on the map. There are, it would seem, 2 distinct types of Evil terrain; "Undead" Evil, and "Monstrous" Evil. This is the latter sort of Marsh, with all sorts of fun evil critters that (as I gather) most DF players haven't tangled with before.

Grimlings.

in my arena, i just had one kill a goblin wrestler without one injury.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: DEADLINE CHANGE: Monday 9/28
« Reply #507 on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:34 pm »

Awesome.

Now I can complain next weekend about how I won't have enough time to finish. Thanks, Solifuge!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 20, 2009, 03:42:19 am »

Grimlings.

in my arena, i just had one kill a goblin wrestler without one injury.

I would hope not. Grimelings are anti-wrestler terrors.  I'm not sure if a Wrestler Lord could take one - or at least, it wouldn't surprise me if a grimeling occasionally just slammed one.  It's what they do.  :P

15 artifacts:
1 amulet
2 cabinets
1 mask
1 bow
2 rings
1 mug
1 armor stand
1 crown
1 table
1 leggings
1 scepter
1 bed
1 millstone

I count... 6 pieces of furniture (inc the millstone), and one actual thing that can be "used" (the leggings).  (Tho' I suppose the bow could be used in a trap, and/or placed in a trap in a room, same as furniture.  Meh.)

My sympathies!   :-\

I'm extending the deadline by 1 week, until 9/28.

(Everyone say "Thank you, Solifuge!")

<kicks under table, elbow in ribs>
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:46:47 am by Albedo »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 20, 2009, 03:54:50 am »

Thank you, Solifuge!

Jackass

ok, so i was wondering if you would let me save-scum. i read a thread were they talked about whether a noble would punish himself for failing a mandate. i must find out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:59:36 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 52