Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96221 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #480 on: September 16, 2009, 10:11:34 am »

That's not true. If you have a pool full of 7/7 water that's touching exposed aquifer tiles and you drop water on it it'll be absorbed into the aquifer. I've been doing that extensively in this fort and in others.

In fact before my restart way back when that's how I breached the aquifer. My setup was a pump drawing out water from the breach and dropping it into an unconnected hole of 7/7 water surrounded by exposed aquifers.

EDIT: Or do you mean that the 'floor tile' has to be previously from an aquifer. If that's the case can you have a waterfall that drops onto a previous aquifer tile and have the water just 'disappear'. Also since water can flow over the fortifications won't it start disappearing when the whole pool is filled to 7/7. The water will drop on top of the pool, look where it can go and one place is out through the fortification tile. Water can teleport so why would it matter if it can actually land from on top of the fortification/aquifer hybrid tile or not.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:27:49 am by Slogo »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 16, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »

I voted extension. My access to a computer is usually quite limited, so I need all the time I can get to play this map.

And playing eight years on any map isn't exactly a trivial exercise either, and I started kind of late.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 16, 2009, 03:23:10 pm »

I don't think it recognizes the off-screen tile as a regular aquifer tile. It's worth testing, however (and I can test on my map after I submit it). We've only known about draining through fortifications for a short time.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 16, 2009, 03:31:39 pm »

I may uncontrollably be testing it out in the near future anyways or failing that I have everything setup to do a small trial of it myself. So I can let you know how that goes too when the time comes.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 16, 2009, 04:09:36 pm »

I have failed to balance both intense RL issues and time to make a fortress for this contest. Cross me out from the list  :'(

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:36 pm »

Giving an extension to players that need/want one is probably a fair idea.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:17 pm »

Posting here to watch this. Cant wait for the maps.  :)

Hah, so my mountain home liaison came in from the top side of my map while the caravans enter from the left because I have it blocked off as the only wagon road in. This poor liason uncovered 1 kobold thief, 1 goblin ambush, and 3 goblin thieves while trying to get into my fortress all while on the far side of my magma moat. He did manage to make it in safe and sound though as there were no bowgobs and they were close enough for my archers to shoot.

Also important warning! Carving a fortification into the bottom most z-level of the bottom edge (about center is where I did it) will cause water to flow in! I knew this was a possibility but it still surprised me, especially for the bottom most z-level.

Does anyone know if this water acts like an aquifer? If I drop water ontop of it will it 'dispose' of it like water on an aquifer layer will?

No, it'll pile on top. Aquifers will only absorb water on top of the aquifer tile and you can't get on top of the  tile in this situation. The bottom level will fill to 7/7 and water will just go up.

And carving fortifications into the edge of the map often (but not always) on aquifer maps will let water in rather than out. I discovered the same thing here.  ;)

Actually, ive had water leak in from fortifications carved in the edge on world gens with aquifers modded out.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 16, 2009, 09:23:00 pm »

wow, my third megabeast this year!

must be mating season.

edit: Oh S*!$, some Goblins just appeared on a bridge above the magmapit!!!
edit: was could be more dwarfy than a battle over the magma pit! Video time!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:29:24 pm by Vieto »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 16, 2009, 10:45:34 pm »

so, I've been getting consistent births for a while now, and i just realized my dwarf total hit 80.

SHIT

I'M NOT READY

The duke is coming
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:48:50 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 16, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »

you still have 140 dwarves to go.

Also, 3 projects down, 2 partly finished projects to go.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 17, 2009, 01:16:33 am »

So, I was expecting the DM this wave. About 40 dwarfs showed up with said Dungeon Mistress.

Thankfully the Noble Four (ruler/consort/death/taxes) did not show up with. Clearly time to set up the Violet Housing Level.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 17, 2009, 01:24:07 am »

PULL THE LEVER!

And megaproject is complete with 6 months to go. Time to race to the finish.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 17, 2009, 01:26:01 am »

So, I just realized this game ends on Monday.

Crap.

I don't think I'll make it in time, either with in game time or real time. The only way I see it happening is if I make a heroic effort over the weekend... or something. Which seems like a reasonable possibility.

I won't drop out like last time, I'll push through as far as I can until I'm well past the deadline.

I will be... the Dwarf Fortress Master!

Also, update: the first child born in my fortress, and the first child in my fortress at all, drowned in the aquifer, and its corpse disappeared, but is still producing miasma. I love this game!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:30 am »

Yup, one male, one female beak dog. Lessee...that means cats(grumble immigrants-at least no kittens are latching on), dogs, cattle, donkeys, horses, giant leopards, beak dogs.

Strangely, all the unpaired ones are males: dog, elk, fox, muskox, two-humped camel, grizzly bear...I suspect the gender-selection algorithm to be other than coin-flip. (Embark alternates for each creature-two are guaranteed breeders, I know)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 17, 2009, 05:52:52 am »

2 years and 2 months left to complete 2 projects.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52