Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96186 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #375 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:23 pm »

1) I'd bet on one of your dogs, but it's theoretically possible for a cornered kitten to kill a dragon, so who knows?

I had a kitten kill 3 gobbos once. And a camel killed 2 squads of gobbos plus the elves that brought it when it went berzerk.

Dog vs fire imp is very plausible. The imp has no appreciable attack in melee range.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 07, 2009, 05:26:42 pm »

<nods>

Size 3, they're wimps up close.

The trick to imps is to surprise them, ambush them somehow using the terrain.  Come over a ridge or around a corner and jump'em, works every time. (well, 99%).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 07, 2009, 07:04:27 pm »

It's tricky, but I pierced the first aquifer layer by draining it into the second. Now I have to breech the second one, which should be interesting.

Edit: nvm. Had a question about pipes for magma pumps, but I remembered we had nickel ore.

As a side note, I think I have a harpy that got stuck in a tree. It hasn't moved in two seasons. Not complaining I guess, considering I have no military just a wall of traps.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:19:04 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2009, 10:01:39 pm »

It's tricky, but I pierced the first aquifer layer by draining it into the second. Now I have to breech the second one, which should be interesting.

Edit: nvm. Had a question about pipes for magma pumps, but I remembered we had nickel ore.

As a side note, I think I have a harpy that got stuck in a tree. It hasn't moved in two seasons. Not complaining I guess, considering I have no military just a wall of traps.

I just got a 5 squad siege, 2 squads were ninjas.

You might want to change that strategy.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:15 pm »

2 squads of ambushers materializing inside the wire.  ::)

<shudders>

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 07, 2009, 10:38:05 pm »

2 squads of ambushers materializing inside the wire.  ::)

<shudders>

Yep. Now this is a survival challenge!

Usually with these things once you get past the first few seasons you're home free. With the ninjas, a well timed, well placed siege can actually wipe you out, even late in the game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:41 am »

The trick to imps is to surprise them, ambush them somehow using the terrain.  Come over a ridge or around a corner and jump'em, works every time. (well, 99%).
Quite. If the imps aren't being aggressi'e like they are here (unusual, I find) then you can station a miner near the lip of the magma (not immediately, but a square or two off) and they'll come up and get spiked, rather than getting the near-always (delayed burn) kill from a fireball hit.

On another note, I had a third way to pierce the aquifer by magma, but I wonder if it'd disqualify.
Spoiler: "How? (click to show/hide)
Ha'e already cast a simple obsidian double aquifer-pierce, which, thanks to inexperience, doubled as a bit of an obsidian factory, just wondering if it'd be permitted to do that. Near end of 101, all things running smoothly, including the pond/weather-independent water supply.
I have a rule question - is it kosher to turn off the economy?
Would like answer before I hit econ-pop, Sol, already asked...though, if you restrict your jobtypes a bit you can make it not occur.

Weaver and mason moods. Naturally, the miner who mason-mooded was a possession. ~,,~; End of year two, all the magma critters dead.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 08, 2009, 01:07:24 am »

Who attacked the Imp and When the fuck did that happen...

1) I'd bet on one of your dogs, but it's theoretically possible for a cornered kitten to kill a dragon, so who knows?

2) The moment you looked away.
Nope all dogs WERE underground no one above...
And well low and behold, I flood the Fort AGAIN!!!

This time it was cause of the Wild fire that destroyed the door, forgot to replace it and well excess water flooded down my fort, wasn't watching, was following a Miner being chased by Harpies, sending the Woodcutter after them...

Miner got killed then the Woodcutter followed after the sisters of the first caught up. Well that was two down, better check on the fort, I think..
WHAT THE FUCK!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 08, 2009, 01:31:57 am »

On another note, I had a third way to pierce the aquifer by magma, but I wonder if it'd disqualify.

This was already discussed. So long as you have no entry through the tiles of the original obsidian casing, it's kosher.  That includes digging one after the fact - a judge won't know which happened first, so it's critical to not go there.

Nope all dogs WERE underground no one above...

I think harpies will attack imps.  But even so, like was said above, the horse, the camel, a cat - a kitten - anything could have done it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:35:06 am by Albedo »

Tykk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 08, 2009, 02:03:23 am »

Partway through year 3 now. Aquifer has been pierced,
I have 82 dwarves though I lost about a dozen so far.
Several small projects done but I dunno if my megaproject
Can be completed in the remaining time. Do we stop on
1st of granite 108 or 109?

So far not too many major problems with beauties,
Lost 2 in a fire but all others pathed through. Defenses could be improved but
Not too bad. No tantrum spiral even with the loss of
Love ones. Overall doin pretty good

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2009, 09:20:59 am »

Had to restart, I was digging out magma forges and forgot about the funky behavior of magma pipes so instead of making a forge I turned most of my fort into a magma pipe (stupid mistake, I should have known better) at the same time I lost a few dwarves to harpies. The first dwarf I lost was my marksmen armed with bow and plenty of arrows so that was kind of odd. He was only novice but he didn't even manage to scratch either of the 2 attacking harpies.

Ah well, I'm almost back to where I was, this time I'm doing the full sized aquifer breech instead of a small access shaft so it's taking longer but it's coming along.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 08, 2009, 09:59:28 am »

Do we stop on 1st of granite 108 or 109?

8 years.

100 is year 1, 101 is year 2... 107 is year 8. 

Use your Spring 08 autosave as your submission. No play in 08.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:58 pm »

So, I tried playing a little bit more over the weekend. Specifically, on Thursday.

What happened next is a series of events so embarassing that I feel slightly hesitant to call myself a Dwarf Fortress Master (but I still do). So I'm going to tell them to you so you can laugh at me.

Immediately after I began playing, I began filling the pit that I had dug into the aquifer with magma, so that I could proceed with a magma penetration of the aquifer. I poured just enough in to seal the ring I had dug directly into the first aquifer layer with obsidian. My logic was, at the time, that I could pour more magma once I had dug out the rest of the aquifer, as at that point, no more water would be leaking in.

The magma pouring went well enough. Once enough magma evaporated, I sent in my miners to dig out the rest of the aquifer.

One miner decided to walk through 1/7 magma. I imagine this happened that he took a quick little trip to the aquifer layer before it had filled up, as I was using ramps to dig through the aquifer, and the 1/7 magma fell on top of him. Good thing he moved, else he would have been encased in cooling lava. Sadly, he was still on fire.

For reasons that aren't important, the pit that I was digging through the aquifer was currently inaccessible at the time. Fortunately for Mr. FlameyFeet, there was a worker in the pit with him, which means that if I acted quickly enough, I could have saved him from a firey death. I tossed my other pick down into the pit, I enabled mining on the worker, I placed the ramp designations... and the worker picked the wrong one to dig first. Mr. FlameyFeet was immolated. I stopped his corpse from burning, for all the good it did me. Interesting thing, though; if you manage to extinguish a flaming corpse, it will still be blinking red and orange and yellow. You learn something new everyday.

Thus, I had the new problem of a pick in the aquifer. This was hardly a problem at all; I constructed a pump and drained the aquifer long enough to recover Mr. FlameyFeet's corpse, clothes and pick.

Since this wasn't a game ending event, I decided to continue, slightly discouraged.

Things went well enough, again. Except they didn't. I resumed digging, and the other miner, Mr. DigsInWrongPlaces, had a fun surprise dropped upon him while he was digging in the aquifer. In this case, the fun surprise was not a piece of feces, but rather, a block of 1/7 magma. Mr. DigsInWrongPlaces became Mr. EncasedInCarbonite.

Notably, these two deaths were preventable, if I had channeled instead of ramped.

I had the new problem of a pick stuck in a block of obsidian. This was hardly a problem at all, as I dug out the block, constructed the pump, and retrieved the pick. Oddly enough, I couldn't recover Mr. EncasedInCarbonite's corpse, as it was in the phantom zone or somewhere else irretrievable.

Since this was not a game ending event, I decided to continue.

The traders arrived. I deliberately took all their stuff by deconstructing the depot. This would have important consequences in spring, which arrived fairly quickly. Migrants decided to not come. Apparently, stealing the caravan's treasures does bad things for immigration.

It is important to note, that at this point, I still hadn't pierced through the aquifer. However, I continued on.

Sometime during summer, as I was about to pour the second bout of magma on the second aquifer layer, my pump operator was being interrupted by fire imps, one of whom jumped out of the magma pipe. I sent in my woodcutter/axedwarf, who fortunately for me, had not died yet, after the fire imp. The fire imp was slayed quickly, but not before he missed the woodcutter with a fireball. Thus, a brush fire was started.

The brush fire killed everyone. This was entirely accidental and was in no way preventable and was most certainly not deliberately allowed so that I could restart the map over once everyone had died.

So that's what's happened so far. I would've started over, but I didn't have access to the Internet over the whole weekend, so I couldn't re-download the map. This is also why you're hearing about this now, instead of on Thursday, when it happened.

All of these problems were completely foreseeable and preventable, but I was really, really sick at the time, so my judgment was likely disproportionately impaired, causing all of these problems, relative to how much it actually was.

tl;dr: Fuck this, I'm starting over.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »

We've all been there. I flooded my first fort this round through similar "What the hell was I thinking?!" mistakes.

I'm moving *much* slower now. One of the upshots to a single-digit framerate is that you have about 11 opportunities to decide if you really want that miner digging there, just during his walk to the tile.

I should point out that I've been sieged every single season in year 104.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:04 pm »

Since I set up my pierce like an obsidian factory (namely that I had setup my water supply first, and set up an auxiliary pump to get more endless water to my pierce site as well as magma) I could force-cool it, at the cost of more digging.

And yeah, most e'eryone gets burned feet ontheir first obsidian-project. The dwarfs will sometimes just catch fire if you let them walk near bits of magma on their le'el, too. The encase-kills destroying stuff is old, I hear. (Let's not talk about the couple of embarks I lost to the magma pump not ha'ing a backflow safeguard)

I accidentally o'erpumped my first water supply, which meant it was contaminated and I needed to make a new one. The new one had me cause two more minor water issues, the first of which could ha'e filled my fort had deconstruction of powered things been slower. Teach me to make no-failsafe pumping systems.

Yay weaponsmith mood! ...though, a spiked ball menacing with gem spikes, I don't ha'e a chokepoint. And, thanks to a bug, I can't, apparently, seal my form properly. Should be getting many migrants soon...elfs,humans completed my seed collection in year 3. Wish the elfs would bring some female animals. Industry is churning properly. Actually need to step up the input.

Anyone else got rogue sand squares popping up on their surface le'el?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52