Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96229 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2009, 02:21:29 am »

Holy crap.

I just had the human guild rep spawn 4 tiles from the magma pipe - inside the centermost embark tile. That's inside my inner defense line. If an ambush shows up there (or a megabeast later on), I'm fucked.

Dig faster guys!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:35 am »

OMFG!!!
Why are my Imps staying away from the Pipe, seriously, they are only in the pipe at the start and after a while they jump out and head to the south of the map and Fucking stay there, in a tight little bunch...
The annoying thing is when they decide to come back towards the Pipe, dropping down the right level, they are attacked by Harpies or Beakdogs and Light the fucking ground alight and pretty much burn my Dwarfs to cinders after one gets thirsty walking through the forest fire...
Thankyou Fire Imps...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:22 am »

OMFG!!!
Why are my Imps staying away from the Pipe, seriously, they are only in the pipe at the start and after a while they jump out and head to the south of the map and Fucking stay there, in a tight little bunch...
The annoying thing is when they decide to come back towards the Pipe, dropping down the right level, they are attacked by Harpies or Beakdogs and Light the fucking ground alight and pretty much burn my Dwarfs to cinders after one gets thirsty walking through the forest fire...
Thankyou Fire Imps...

Yea, I had to leave about half of my supplies next to the magma pipe. Took me like 15 tries to get an embark where a fire man didn't come out and slaughter my dwarves (I've never seen magma creatures this aggressive before) but I finally managed to get all the important stuff - namely food, booze, ore, and the anvil - away from the pipe.

Now it's time to get working on an obsidian cast to pierce the aquifer. Seriously, if this wasn't for a competition I would abandon and find a less complicated place.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:41 am »

I got everything inside during Spring and had begun my Mega Project by Autumn, I am quick with the start ups. This is During Autumn and Winter these pesky Imps forcing me to restart when they start a fire on the main level, only have wooden doors between me and the outside so anything that peaks out while there is fire sets the whole place alight...

Just finished my First year, got one out of the 6 Setup layers of my Mega Project done, and that was with only 1 miner doing all the work, with more workers this should be finished by the end of the second year, as long as my Masons can keep up with the work...

Harpies are becoming a problem though, they ain't sitting in the corners like they are spos to, and are coming straight over my main construction everytime they spawn, not sure if its Ninja Spawns like my first lot of Immigrants did in Autumn, but here's hoping I can adjust my workforce to be defensive in some places, luckily it turned spring (and Auto Save) just before the Harpies tore apart nearly all my workforce. The year before the Harpies took care of my Wayward Imps, after they set fire to the south rise...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2009, 08:35:08 am »

All of this ninja spawning is totally justifying my megaproject.

I've had tonnes of harpies and beak dogs, but only one grimeling so far.

I should like to update my legendaries list with #3. A woodcrafter.

I am going to have a flood fort with magma switch. We'll see if I can hold off using it for the full 8 years.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2009, 08:48:12 am »

All of this ninja spawning is totally justifying my megaproject.
My Megafortress is located in the center of the map, slightly adjusted to the right a bit by accident, but its going to be epic if I can get it built, it took me 4years to nearly finish my construction in DFM1 so if i got Eight years Its gonna take me nearly the same, its a good thing its a comp else I would get bored of Harpies forcing me to restart a year when i miss them coming in fast...
They are amazingly strong...

And is it just me or does the map feel smaller then a 5x5...
I mean I have another map which is a 3x6 for another project I had started before this opened (Airshipn Armok's Gauntlet - Port of Harbor) and it feels bigger then this map...

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:29 am »

Well things are moving along quite nicely for me about 1/2 a month to go in summer and I'm through the aquifer. I still have to do a larger breech later but at least now I can keep my dwarves quite busy building the rest of the fort while I make preparations.

Defense is going smoothly too, my design gives my entrance quite a buffer between me, the wildlife, and anything that can catch fire plus a great spot to shoot archery targets from. So far none of the wildlife has ventured near (except the fireman that died right after embark from I guess a dog).

Right now my biggest challenges are going to be getting the aquifer fully pierced and some more metal for picks, bolts and armor.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2009, 11:36:57 am »

So far, I've pierced the Aquifer 2.5 times!

Also, note to self, fully-automated magma pumps are fast

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:21 pm »

Splorch!

Since this map seems to have independent confirmation that the "ninja migrant" effect occurs, would Toady have any use of it for de-bugging that particular hiccup?  Just a thought (I'm not up on bug fixes for the upcoming version.)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »

It occurred once from the top of the map for me (I believe)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »

Well it's clear what one of the contestants has to do now... cover every tile on the 'ground level' with traps.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »

I hope they spawn in the middle of my mega-project ;)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »

Woo!

3 ambushes - 2 on the perimeter, one spawned right on the edge of the magma pipe right next to my original magma glass furnace. Thankfully, I had already marshalled the marksdwarves to back up the inner trap in case the two ambushes on the outer edge clogged up both the inner and outer traps (it's been known to happen).

Don't let your guard down - this has turned into a truly wicked map. I have absolutely no plan for guarding my main entrance. Time for some improvising, and drafting more military.

And I just learned a channeling trick that I wish I had known 6 months ago. Gonna go find out how many hundreds of times it's been mentioned on the forums and wiki without my noticing... Won't make the project progress any faster, but at least I won't be designating tiles one at a time. The current phase of the project is magma limited. 2 years to finish this phase, by my estimate. 2 years for the next, assuming it even works. Then the fun begins.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2009, 03:10:16 pm »

Ok, I want to change my vote. For the life of me I can't get fresh water working, and I have 3 yellow/red wounded miners thanks to an elite marksgoblin that I'm very thankful didn't kill half the freaking fortress. Weapon trap did that little bastard in.

Trying idea number, what, 5 now? Miners are dehydrated. Masons are working very fast.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2009, 03:12:00 pm »

desalinating water is extremly easy though. just make sure the water does NOT touch any natural rock or soil
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 52