Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96239 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2009, 11:57:04 pm »

so my farmer died.

harpy broke his leg, and then he decided he was to good for beer, and that he would only drink water.

Then i found out that my water pit broke.

happy times
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:13 am »

Well, the restart is going well. Immigrants took a while, but they're here. I overlooked a hunter in the immigrants and he decided to go hunting for beak dogs. He left a massively cool blood trail. Drafted 3 peasants and gave them crossbows. They're doing fine.

The inner pierce is about 2 seasons behind the last effort but the outer pierce is about the same time ahead. Should work out okay, it just means that everyone has to wait longer before getting underground. Everyone is hanging out around the magma pipe. The magma critters went down just as easily as the first time. Catten jumped one imp in the new channel we dug and being a z-level different wasn't able to get off a shot. The other 2 imps were shot inside the pipe. The fireman got shot up and was wrestled to death on the edge of the pit. The ashes came in handy.

Lost two war dogs and a hunter so far. First fey mood was Catten immediately after the immigrants arrived. Made a nice wood and platinum statue which increased the fortress wealth by about 500%. A legendary carpenter is always handy. Everyone likes a nice bed.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2009, 12:34:14 am »

good progress on my fort and my mega project. though the elves came twice, I haven't swapped goods with the elves yet (I really wanted that camel :(). The first time, my mechanisms were too heavy for them, and the second time, beak dogs... need I say more?

all ambushes against me have failed miserably. :D

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2009, 12:38:11 am »

btw, most of the royalty is named urist.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:01 am »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but coul the players please look at their Woodcutter's last name?

Splatteredmerchant, if it's the same as mine (and it should be.)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2009, 01:41:17 am »

there the same
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2009, 01:47:39 am »

The ashes came in handy.

Why, for your previous sins? Or are your dwarves Catholic?  :D

Rope reed and ashes, the dwarven penance.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2009, 02:49:10 am »

ok, so i just got  21 immigrants, raising my dwarf total to 27 and all th imps are dead.

i trained four war dogs for war, and for some reason they were following a hauler around the pit when the last imp breached.

good times

could i pierce the aquifer by dumping water in the pipe?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:03:42 am by realmfighter »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2009, 03:41:44 am »

(Edit - wasn't thinking)

Yes, but it's dangerous.  (From a "legal by the rules" perspective.)

As spelled out quite clearly by Sol' numerous times now, not unless you can find a way to do it without appearing to have used the obsidian sheath around the magma. 

And that's judged when the map is submitted.  So If you can keep the difference between "your obsidian" and the original clear in your mind, then go for it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:19:52 pm by Albedo »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 03, 2009, 03:43:30 am »

what he said was no stairs in the obsidian lining. NOTHING at all about turning the pipe into obsidian then mining through that.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 03, 2009, 04:49:28 am »

Is this a serious question?

No.

As spelled out quite clearly by Sol' numerous times now, not unless you can find a way to do it without piercing the obsidian sheath around the magma.  That would be a good trick.
Its not Passing the Aquifer via the Cast around the pipe, you need a constructive way to pass the Aquifer, use of Magma to Cast an area of Aquifer twice, whatever method you can use...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:22 am »

The ashes came in handy.

I prefere fire and brimstone.

Or Saltpeter and Brimstone. That works even better ;)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:24 am »

The ashes came in handy.

Well, ashes are fire-safe... Saved me a step.  :P

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 03, 2009, 01:17:27 pm »

Its not Passing the Aquifer via the Cast around the pipe, you need a constructive way to pass the Aquifer, use of Magma to Cast an area of Aquifer twice, whatever method you can use...

Okay, you're right, I take it back - I was tired, and was only thinking of whether it would look kosher when submitted for judging.

The danger is that if you forget and later dig stairs in the cast - and it would be hard to tell the diff later, where your obsidian starts and where the original stops - you've screwed yourself.

If you can keep it so it looks kosher from any angle, yes, this would qualify.

Sorry for my earlier confusion. (fixed)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #329 on: September 03, 2009, 02:15:17 pm »

Remeber that first legendary metalcrafter?

Apparently someone else thought it was a good plan, because my second fey is ALSO a metalcrafter.

I think I will have to come up with a megaproject that involves metalcrafting.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52