Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96274 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2009, 11:17:11 pm »

so, lets say my water pit has ramps in it. all other surfaces are covered but would the ramps re-salt it?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2009, 11:49:04 pm »

It dropped to single digits after I posted that thing. Posting from tentati'e linux distro...which I ha'e not yet figured out how to key in a ...that key that's broken between S and U. XD

FYI, a normal 5x5 embark would run at 180ish back when my computer was working, going to try d15 now, see if I can continue...

3) For this challenge, the Conduct Caveat is that you cannot breach the Aquifer via the Magma Pipe. If your Fortress includes any stairs or ramps allowing passage through the Magma Pipe's Obsidian Cast, and through the aquifer layers, your map will be disqualified.
May I dig INTO but not THROUGH the cap?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 02, 2009, 12:45:59 am »

its late summer. my pool/water supplie is almost finished and i have dug out 100 or so 3X3 rooms. my dogs just gave birth to three puppy's and i'm set to begin work on my arena/race course/ execution platform.

surprisingly, things aren't going that bad.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2009, 12:53:45 am »

ah, 100 fps. Much better. Though I see an ad'ancing fire and my source is drying up just as I finish the pump and pool..one miner lost to the fireman. Fireman's new name? "Minevirtue". >_>
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2009, 02:51:14 am »

I'm making my blind guy a wood cutter. He will no longer be scared off by Harpies!

Dwarfy!

Manager: "Go cut wood"
Wood cutter: "Is there any danger?"
Manager: "Do you see any danger?..."

Shit.

I need a judges ruling. ...
I'm 2 years in and if the judges want me to restart, I will.

Urgh.  Turning off temp is not in the spirit of the contest, and for just such reasons.  I'm happy that Sol' will make this call.

Since Sol' is not asking (yet) for intermediary saves, there is no way to tell if you dug down thru the sheathe first, or after you pierced the aquifer fair and square.  So... if you dig stairs down into the obsidian, that cannot connect to anything below the aquifer!  Artificial, yes, but them's th' rulez.

You can go down and not out, or in from below the aquifer and not up, but no connections between "above" and "below" in those tiles.

If you want to push into that obsidian, NO STAIRS UP/DOWN ACROSS THE AQUIFER BOUNDARY LEVELS IN THOSE TILES!!!  Nothing, zero, nada, zilch, don't go there. 

If the stairs are all out in the aquifer, and the obsidian has no inter-connections across the aquifer boundary, dat's coo'.  All above is cool, and all below is cool. Otherwise... GAME OVER!

Clear?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:14:27 am by Albedo »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2009, 03:32:43 am »

Shit.

I need a judges ruling. ...
I'm 2 years in and if the judges want me to restart, I will.

Urgh.  Turning off temp is not in the spirit of the contest, and for just such reasons.  I'm happy that Sol' will make this call.

Since Sol' is not asking (yet) for intermediary saves, there is no way to tell if you dug down thru the sheathe first, or after you pierced the aquifer fair and square.
Actually, if I don't connect whate'er I dig next to the pipe to whate'er I dig out of the pipe, then you can...

On another hand, I had ne'er really encountered the danger of brushfires before. Bye fort!

edit: Since it's come up, what init settings ARE go? Temperature ob'iously needs stay on(magma) and probably weather too(dry up all the water, etc), and in'aders (natch).

Popcap and economy are the ones I'm thinking of, though really just economy:no...

edit 2: ‼DWARFS‼ ...just when the fire imps, with a little help from my dwarfs, had eliminated all the hostility. I had no idea that turtles were so inflammable.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:50:51 am by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2009, 03:46:33 am »

What albedo said on clarifying use of third party applications: i think it is indeed fair to use therapist to view dwarven experience, but not fair to use it to get nobles hauling etc....as previously said, this is a masters' competition - dwarven honour binds your actions (much in the same way that most dwarves are honour-bound to hate treehuggers...)

on megaprojects - yes, survival themed is good, but not a deal breaker. remember there is a 'creativity' part of the scoring - get adventurous, try out cool things, aim to impress. if your awesome 3 level dining room/fighting pit is also colour coded AND fits with the survival theme somehow (magma pools between the tables maybe? harpies on chains in there?) then you are gonna rack up the BIG points.

on martin's restart...hmm...i agree, Sol's call i think. but i'm tempted to offer the benefit of the doubt and say you were punished by the immediate result of your turning temp on. there are so many restarts going on that the judges just have to trust that the players will play fair etc...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2009, 04:25:26 am »

‼Dwarfs‼...again. I don't think I'e played in a Hot place with magma before.

On the side, you'd think a marsh would be wet enough for fires not to just sweep the grass.
Tilesets

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2009, 04:43:11 am »

By reading the recent forums. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41283.0

This is a master's competition, not a tutorial session.  The answers are out there.

One way ramps are hardly 'tutorial session' material.  They're pretty brain-breaking, in fact.  In any csse, be nice, or go be grumpy somewhere were people aren't trying to enjoy themselves.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2009, 10:07:25 am »

After sleeping on it, I'm not sure that when I did the first aquifer pierce I didn't have magma hit the grass in an non-contained area, so I'm going to start over ensuring that temp is on. I can't say that setting the world on fire wouldn't have had an impact at that stage of the game - particularly since I did get an immigrant wave right around when I started the pumping and maybe they would have pathed through it.

I'm just going to follow the previous attempt, and nothing key to my success was revealed along the way - it's all very vanilla down where I was working. I lost 3 dwarves to fey moods due to a lack of raw gems and I never did find any, so I'll prepare to lose 3 more. Maybe I'll have an immigrant wave wiped out to beak dogs rather than harpies this time.  :D

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2009, 10:38:18 am »

Survived long enough to get a mood.

Legendary metalcrafter.

Why couldn't I get this on my 17yr fort where I actually want one?

At least caravans will go away carrying masterful aluminum toys. "Made in Muckgrotto" stamped on each one.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »

Basically the rule is "Don't dig stair down through the Obsidian Cast on the Pipe to breach the Aquifer". The rule is there so you need to be a touch more creative, even if only marginally, when aquifer breaching. If you're digging in the cast for other reasons, like getting magma, digging up some above-aquifer stone, or general landscapeing, it's perfectly okay.

After sleeping on it, I'm not sure that when I did the first aquifer pierce I didn't have magma hit the grass in an non-contained area, so I'm going to start over ensuring that temp is on. I can't say that setting the world on fire wouldn't have had an impact at that stage of the game - particularly since I did get an immigrant wave right around when I started the pumping and maybe they would have pathed through it.

Thank you for that Martin... I know that sucks to do, but I appreciate your forthrightness when you found the temperature issue. Out of curiosity, why was temperature off for the last contest? I can't think of anything that would have ignited or frozen... was it done for FPS?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

Thank you for that Martin... I know that sucks to do, but I appreciate your forthrightness when you found the temperature issue. Out of curiosity, why was temperature off for the last contest? I can't think of anything that would have ignited or frozen... was it done for FPS?

Because the map had no magma or freezing, I turned it off after the 2nd year I think for FPS since it would have no bearing on the game. Remember, 70,000 loose stone plus river pumping tends to slow things down a touch.  ;)

When we started this one, I just duped the previous DF install since it already had my graphics set and keybindings and I knew it didn't have any mods or anything hanky. I totally forgot to check the init file for other changes. I've set it back to vanilla and stuffed a copy of the install over in the corner.

Maybe this time I won't get every. single. mood. demanding. raw. gems. But I won't deviate from my previous plan until I match it. Onward!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 02, 2009, 06:10:11 pm »

you probably forgot about making megaprojects.

namely, ABOVE GROUND megaprojects.
I made sure of my Project was allowed by Sol before starting it, it was...
Everything stemmed off Sols approval, Been working on my project from year one winter...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:24 pm »

my blind guy is now the trader/clerk. He uses echo-location to appraise his goods, and writes in either braille, or blood. The latter, because of its texture.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52