Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96269 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »

Personally, I find it quite difficult to build any sort of project with all my dwarves dead.

me to.

*nostalgic voice*
me to
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2009, 08:11:10 pm »

well, 3 of my dwarves are dead; 2 from beak dogs, 1 from magma, and a harpy blinded my expedition leader. Still, I will continue!!!

In this 2nd effort, 11 dead so far and one berserk but locked up. Harpies were the worst problem - 3 of them descended on a group of immigrants and wiped out 7 or so of them, chucking a few into my 2nd aquifer pierce which was fully flooded with water. The berserk dwarf and one other death are due to failed moods. There were some beak dog deaths in there too.

The challenge is for the fortress to survive, not all of the inhabitants. I hope.

Megaproject is about 1/4 done, and the main fortress is established with so-so defenses set. I won't know if it's even going to work for at least another 2 years due to some suspected and now confirmed magma problems. Not sure what I'll do if it fails.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 01, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »

I'm making my blind guy a wood cutter. He will no longer be scared off by Harpies!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 01, 2009, 08:42:25 pm »

I'm making my blind guy a wood cutter. He will no longer be scared off by Harpies!

Dwarfy!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 01, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

If I breach the aquifer without using magma-casting
(good ole fashioned masonry and pumps)

Does that count as a megaproject?
Mostly because at the rate i'm going, i'll hit the 2nd year without doing anything but recieve another wave of migrants

Ahh, eight years? nevermind...
edit: two years of piercing an aquifer without pumping magma, or digging down the side of the volcano
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:29:14 pm by eerr »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:16 pm »

I don't get it Guys...
I am up to my third year and only dogs have died...
I control the only way into the Fortress...
I overwatch EVERYTHING, Meaning that if the woodcutter is cutting wood, then everyone is hauling that wood back in, at most there is three outside at a time, the one that cuts the wood, the one that hauls the first lump wood, and the next one coming out for the one that was just cut down...
I made sure of my Project was allowed by Sol before starting it, it was...
And now I have 6 Champion Wrestlers/Training Marksmen that are stocked up with Steel and Iron Bolts I traded from the Human and Dwarf Caravans to watch over them for Harpies...
I don't make enemies with Elf or Human and I watch every spawn of Beak/Harp on the over map, (Hostiles are the Redshaded Squares)...

The greatest thing is I have a lot of luck it seems, the only time I have rolled back to the beginning of the year was when I lose all my Miners to Cave ins/Magma Problems. (Even then they are rare). Cause that normally means I lose the Picks too. If someone is caught by Harpies, they outrun them with a lot of luck too, I have had Harpies chase down three different dudes and they all got away, Once towards the axe of My Woodcutter/Champs, sometimes just clean get away. At the start I made sure everyone was away from the Pipe by setting up a meeting area where I was diggingin, and constructed a roofed (via Ramp outside) construct around my Stairs so that only way in was through the doors and past the dogs, this was before digging out the only path for Merchants to use, then it was even easier cause then they could only enter the Fort from that way...

Heck even only one dog has died, and that was to distract the first Gobbo Ambush...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:45:06 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you probably forgot about making megaprojects.

namely, ABOVE GROUND megaprojects.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:15 pm »

do we have to make projects above ground?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:46 pm »

Shit.

I need a judges ruling.

I copied over my DFMC 1 folder for use here and I just went in to turn off weather since my FPS was starting to drop and I noticed that temp was turned off. I turned it back on and two of my miners burst into flames. They must have hit some residual magma on the first aquifer pierce. They aren't instrumental to my current progress, as I was pick limited early on (I have 11 miners out of 54 52 dwarves, most legendary) and would have just replaced them. The lower skills would have slowed me up a touch, though.

I don't think I would have had any other effects on this effort. The fireman was killed inside the pipe, and the imps were either killed in the pipe or right on the edge - no fireball.

I'm 2 years in and if the judges want me to restart, I will.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2009, 10:29:21 pm »

Its more impressive.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 01, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »

Its more impressive.
Ok. Just making sure.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:28 pm »

Is it really the case that we're somehow expected to do megaprojects?  I was planning to make a pretty integrated fortress--I prefer to have grandiose implementations of necessary fortress components than some massive construction that has no in-game purpose.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:17 pm »

Is it really the case that we're somehow expected to do megaprojects?  I was planning to make a pretty integrated fortress--I prefer to have grandiose implementations of necessary fortress components than some massive construction that has no in-game purpose.

No, no expectation of that. Look at what people did last time. Two of us had boats as projects. Damming the river was a project.

On a survival map I'd expect acquiring fresh water to be a project. Having a solid fortress/defense system to be a project, etc. I decided to do a mega, but my other projects aren't likely to be any more substantial than what I just described.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:08 pm »

On a survival map I'd expect acquiring fresh water to be a project. Having a solid fortress/defense system to be a project, etc. I decided to do a mega, but my other projects aren't likely to be any more substantial than what I just described.

but to win you need to do all that plus more

in style
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 01, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

No, no expectation of that. Look at what people did last time. Two of us had boats as projects. Damming the river was a project.

oh, right! I forgot about the salt water issue after I made my fresh water pit. oh well, not to late to change something in my planned internal apartment system
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52