Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96323 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:05 pm »

Well that implies you can use Therapist to see the experience of the dwarves but not to change any of their assigned jobs.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2009, 01:08:13 pm »

OK I Don't Get It!!!

Each time I ramp down for Pumps to be installed for my project, the Miner that reaches the Aquifer level says 'Hey theres water in this wall, I won't dig there.'
Then sits on that level like there is no way up again, despite there is Ramps leading to the Surface he will just SIT THERE!!!!

Its like the fifth time they have done this...
The last four they died of Thirst!!!

Gonna try this time with Stairs, Water can be pumped through stairs right???
its possible to make one-way ramps, or ramps that don't work at all.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »

I can't decide whether to build a massive above ground castle or to keep my dwarves accomodation underground. An underground fortress seems more fitting to the name "Muckgrotto" but it doesn't look as appealing in 3dwarf(which I have never previously used tbh).

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »

I can't decide whether to build a massive above ground castle or to keep my dwarves accomodation underground. An underground fortress seems more fitting to the name "Muckgrotto" but it doesn't look as appealing in 3dwarf(which I have never previously used tbh).

or you can do both :D
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »

i would like to thank you, for giving the woodcutter axeman skills. he killed three harpy's single handed.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2009, 05:48:21 pm »

Not sure if it's too late to enter or if you had to be in the first round, but I'll take a crack at this. Should be interesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2009, 05:49:34 pm »

Not sure if it's too late to enter or if you had to be in the first round, but I'll take a crack at this. Should be interesting.

by all means join. and you dont have to of been in the DFM1 btw. i did it but this time i'm judging
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2009, 06:00:33 pm »

OK I Don't Get It!!!

Each time I ramp down for Pumps to be installed for my project, the Miner that reaches the Aquifer level says 'Hey theres water in this wall, I won't dig there.'
Then sits on that level like there is no way up again, despite there is Ramps leading to the Surface he will just SIT THERE!!!!

Its like the fifth time they have done this...
The last four they died of Thirst!!!

Gonna try this time with Stairs, Water can be pumped through stairs right???
its possible to make one-way ramps, or ramps that don't work at all.

That's something I didn't know; how do you build one-way ramps?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

by all means join. and you dont have to of been in the DFM1 btw. i did it but this time i'm judging

It's an interesting map, embarking next to the magma pipe was a nice touch (lost my first attempt within seconds to a rogue fire man who torched my wagon and killed two dwarves. The other five died in the resulting fire). For some reason, I haven't hit an aquifer. I'm tempted to use reveal just to find out if somehow my game is glitched and removed the aquifer or not... it's possible I just found one of those few places where there isn't an aquifer.

Edit: Ran reveal on only the soil layers, apparently mine is bugged. There's a two layer aquifer in the zone around the magma pipe, but nowhere else. Going to redownload the map, redownload DF, and try again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:46:13 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2009, 06:46:59 pm »

Grenus- the aquifer starts around level "98".  If you busted down next to the magma, through the obsidian (or very close to), and are any lower than that, you can stop now, because that's a dealbreaker - read Sol's prev post re rules, here (http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40581.195) or now abbreviated in OP.

That's something I didn't know; how do you build one-way ramps?

By reading the recent forums. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41283.0

This is a master's competition, not a tutorial session.  The answers are out there.

Well that implies you can use Therapist to see the experience of the dwarves but not to change any of their assigned jobs.

Or Companion (which is better for that, as I understand.)  But, in theory, you could do that without - by counting the jobs a dwarf completes.  Tedious and annoying, but quite possible.

It's the "behaviour" that's the dealbreaker with those, not the information.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »

so I've started my above ground fortress (unable to pierce the aquifer)and i am doing well, but i'm at a lost to what projects i can do with limited reserves of wood and only 2 underground layers to work with.

would you accept building my entire fortress above the aquifer a mega project?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:02:20 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:54 pm »

Survival's the only challenge here, so anything you do in addition to it is to impress the judges.

Have some initiative, man. You don't need permission to build a giant above ground fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »

well, 3 of my dwarves are dead; 2 from beak dogs, 1 from magma, and a harpy blinded my expedition leader. Still, I will continue!!!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2009, 07:27:13 pm »

Survival's the only challenge here, so anything you do in addition to it is to impress the judges.

Have some initiative, man. You don't need permission to build a giant above ground fortress.

no, the challenge is to build 5 projects in ADDITION to survival, and i was asking if it counted as a project

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2009, 07:47:20 pm »

Personally, I find it quite difficult to build any sort of project with all my dwarves dead.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52