Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96345 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Embarking at GMT 4:00am!
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »

I'm waiting up :)

Theres a poll at the top, did you vote in that? Looks like play now is to be the winner. (Pity on he who suggested it as a jest/fake-out)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2009, 11:15:58 pm »

are you still accepting applications?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:07 pm »

are you still accepting applications?

Yes!

Also, performing a few last minute tests, and we shall commence.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2009, 11:29:01 pm »

yai!
do you already have the link up?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2009, 11:42:56 pm »

On our map, you don't even need to waste time taking the wagon apart.
It is my experience that, if you don't get the wagon, neither do you get the three free logs.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2009, 11:48:05 pm »

On our map, you don't even need to waste time taking the wagon apart.
It is my experience that, if you don't get the wagon, neither do you get the three free logs.

Oh, you might be right. Been a while since I've embarked like that, but I usually bring a few logs and may never have noticed.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2009, 02:41:42 am »

Also, performing a few last minute tests, and we shall commence.
Are we ready yet???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Embarking rather soon!
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2009, 03:36:19 am »

Ok... my vote was a tie breaker... I hope it wasn't to late. To those who voted Play Now!: You are welcome to play now with yourself.  ;)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2009, 03:54:15 am »

Ok... my vote was a tie breaker... I hope it wasn't to late. To those who voted Play Now!: You are welcome to play now with yourself.  ;)

i'm sorry, but i didn't vote either....

HAHAHAHA!

Edit: wow, i feel like a jackass.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:06:20 am by realmfighter »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2009, 04:10:59 am »

Oh, please... we have 20 votes in the poll with only 18 contestants... Somebody has been upping the Embark Now! option cause he thinks its funny... Please go ruin your own community game.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:16:16 am by Toady Two »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2009, 08:04:57 am »

I voted dwarfcore, should we manually need to retally.

Do you really think play now will ruin things? My first few forts got a long way before I figured out you could change embark settings.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2009, 09:36:30 am »

In a terrifying mountain range with craptons of undead in a small embark area, you can't afford to take chances. You really have to come prepared, and if you don't have every necessity you're basically dead before you move.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2009, 11:28:13 am »

Ok... my vote was a tie breaker...

There are no tiebreakers, and no need to manually tally.  Sol' said he'd compromise between the votes - a tie, 1 short of a tie, just tweak the compromise slightly - as Sol' sees it. 

(And as I understood it, that last vote option was as much "I don't care" as  "Play Now", so is a half-abstain/half-"tougher is better" vote.  Again, as Sol' interprets that.)

Which means you'll never know what would have been any diff, or if.  Hell, you don't really even know what those descriptions will look like, esp w/ skills.

Martin and JimG have good points - this is supposed to be a challenge, so if it's a little off from "optimal", that's a GOOD thing. 

Fun, without losing.  That's the ultimate DF challenge, neh?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:32:58 am by Albedo »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »

The Dungeonmaster had said the expedition was cursed. They hadn't packed enough cats.

Of course, Overseer Mezbuth didn't put much weight in the old Dwarf's words, especially with his obvious... eccentricities (no self respecting Dwarf, Noble or not, should wander around in nothing more than a Goat Leather Loincloth, and 7 capes of varying colors, he thought). Even so, the words were slightly unsettling to the other Dwarves, as they traveled on an expedition into a mountain range fabled to be Haunted.

The Wagon had been driving for weeks, Tower Cap Wheels creaking and jerking as they rode the earthen trail from the Mountainhomes off into the wilderness. They could see the distant fang-shaped silhouettes of The Ugly Finger mountains ahead of them, as they rose on the horizon. Even with their reputation, Mezbuth had little need to fear them; they had prepared carefully for anything they may encounter, and had brought supplies enough to last them while they settled. As the wagon wove its way through a marshy lowlands, the Overseer's mind returned to thoughts of the Mountainhomes they were leaving behind.

Suddenly, a loud crack shook him from his daydreams, followed by a sudden lurch. The Driver and her Horse and Camel strained to pull the Wagon on forward, but it wouldn't budge (stuck in the swamp mud, no doubt). Mezbuth hopped onto the ground to check the wheel, landing with a wet squelch, but instead of mud, he found the wheel broken off at the axel, with a swarm of red-furred rats gnawing at the other front wheel!

Demon Rats! Before he could swat them away, the second wheel had been chewed loose, and with a great groan the wagon plunged downward, spilling dwarves, animals, and cargo to the swampy muck. As the wagon's pair of cats chased the Demon Rats off into the marsh grass, the words of the old Dungeonmaster echoed back to him.

Huh... should've brought more cats after all.

With no wagon to pull their goods any further, he could see no other option. He turned to his comrades as they drew themselves up out of the mud, with expressions of fear plain on their face, and stepping up onto a half-sunken barrel did his best to address them all:

"Believe it or not, we have arrived. After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the forbidding wilderness beyond, our harsh trek has finally, and abruptly, ended. Our party of seven set forth to make an outpost for the glory of all of Cerol Bal, and do that we will, mountains or no!

I know, I know... there are almost no supplies left. By my reckoning about a season worth of Salted Turtle and Booze. Still, with stout labor will come sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow, or hook, we will provide for one another. We're expecting a supply caravan just before winter comes, but it is Spring now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings... or failing that, building wood walls thick enough to keep out the hungry Demon Rats and Beak Dogs.

Yes, a new chapter of Dwarven History begins here, now, at this place, this muddy, salty... whatever they're called... Marsh. Yes, a new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Muckgrotto!

Strike the... dirt!"

Download Map File: Muckgrotto
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:41:08 pm by Solifuge »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2009, 12:27:14 pm »

A master survival challenge should flat-out kill most players. It should be barely survivable (or, I should say, predictably survivable if you know the game better than most players). I have such a scenario in mind if Sol wouldn't mind letting others run future master contests.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52