Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96324 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: Survival Challenge - Signups Are Open!
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2009, 12:05:32 pm »

Then de-sign up. 

Sol' said he's be afk for a while, he's just back this last week.  Maybe he has a life.  If and when he decides he has the time to entertain you, he will.  Until then, he's not on your schedule, and imo it's pretty effin rude to imply he should be.

Chil', please.

Only going to bring it up one last time...

It's not something you should "bring up" at all, as if it were a discussion.  Sol's contest, he set the rules.  Send him a PM, be persuasive, maybe he'll change his mind.  :-\

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2009, 01:14:11 pm »

Then de-sign up. 

Sol' said he's be afk for a while, he's just back this last week.  Maybe he has a life.  If and when he decides he has the time to entertain you, he will.  Until then, he's not on your schedule, and imo it's pretty effin rude to imply he should be.

Chil', please.

Only going to bring it up one last time...

It's not something you should "bring up" at all, as if it were a discussion.  Sol's contest, he set the rules.  Send him a PM, be persuasive, maybe he'll change his mind.  :-\
rude? ha, I want this to go down before I go back to college.
But that might not happen.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2009, 04:12:16 pm »

Thanks a ton to Zooeyglass for keeping tabs on all our contestants, and to everyone who tried to come to some direction regarding a Standard Embark Profile. Lucky for you guys, if not for me, I am home quite sick for the day. Even so, I'm rather out of it, so please excuse any resultant fuzziness in the brain I may be experiencing.

At any rate, we can get started at any time... BUT FIRST y'all need to settle on the Embark Profile you're going to be using. If it sounds good to you, I can compile some of the more supported proposals, and establish a compromise between them.

Also, I'm down with people running different DevBuilds (anything that falls under 0.28.181.40d) so long as it is compatible. As far as allowing relatively low-impact mods like the Cat Mouth/Hand Mod, I'm unsure. I'll have to come to a decision regarding that, but for now assume no.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2009, 04:41:26 pm »

Currently, there are a number who back "Play Now!", and the rest are trying to "optimize" the overall build.   And those two are not really something to "compromise between them".  :-\

(All depends on exactly how dangerous it will be on touch-down, those first weeks before any walled security exists.)

There have also been some requests for more info on the map - or were, but those haven't re-commented since you posted the embark shots. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:42:59 pm by Albedo »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2009, 05:04:40 pm »

I'm being purposefully vague about the map, for reasons that will become apparent once the challenge begins.

At any rate, I have established a Poll to figure out what you guys want in your Embark. I would REALLY like to avoid "Play Now!", and once it starts you'll wish you had too.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:06:11 pm by Solifuge »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »

Just to clarify my position - I'm not advocating for 'Play Now', rather I put it out there as a stick to help make sure a compromise happens. I'll play any embark.

I'll go one further and suggest that anyone voting 'Play Now' is offering to play any embark, and a chosen one is as good as a random one. After all, the Play Now embark always has the chance to be what the rest here would have chosen. So, I'd factor all of us out of the decision. If the rest of the group that has a preference can agree on the preference, then let's get this show on the road.

How about this - in 5 hours embark the group based on what is in agreement and use any remaining points however you see fit, or don't use them at all. We've had enough time for opinions to be offered so lets add some time pressure to wrap this up. I think we have more than enough info already.

As for mods - no mods. Makes it simpler for now. As for the cat mouth fix, just eat the damn thing, stick it in a cage, or stick it under a drawbridge and the messages will go away.

and once it starts you'll wish you had too.

We're not afraid! Bring it!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Embarking at GMT 4:00am!
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »

Alright, we will be starting in about 6 hours or so, so get them votes in!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2009, 05:57:36 pm »

I'm willing to go with whatever, but heres what I normally take.

Miner/Mechanic
Miner/Armor user/Shield user
Grower/Thresher
Brewer/Cook
Weaponsmith/Armorsmith
Organizer/Appraiser/social etc.
Mason/Stonecrafter

No anvil.
2 dogs (untrained)
2 cats
60 + wood
some stone(~20), pref bauxite
a few metal bars or ore (~6). Usually copper.
2 ax
7 copper picks
40 seeds of each
40 turtles/cave lobster
remainder even between food and booze, go for variety

I am in favour of cat mod fix.

~~~

Rules wise, can we also get a number on how long we have to complete whatever it is we need to do?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2009, 06:27:14 pm »

I'm voting now for everyone selecting their own embark. It's best to be in your own element at times. Perhaps, to appease the hardcore survivalists, there could be bonus points allotted for "challenging" embark setups?

EDIT: And I really don't want Play Now!. The embark will be challenging enough as it is.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 06:55:16 pm by Glacial Eidolon »
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »

The reason we aren't picking our own embarks is that some will be inherently easier if we aren't already embarked by Sol'. Assuming he's designated and undesignated the entire bottom layer, one homogenous embark will have the same: dwarves (incl' likes and dislikes), minerals, first spawned animals, tree locations, et cetera.

Anyhow: Play Now has the most supporters, dunnit?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2009, 06:58:07 pm »

Then if that isn't an option, I'd go for the "From scratch" Industry-focused vote (instead of "Other options"). Anything that isn't Play Now! or points-based is good enough for me.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2009, 07:02:49 pm »

Just to clarify my position - I'm not advocating for 'Play Now', rather I put it out there as a stick to help make sure a compromise happens.
Ah, the threatened anchovy, mushroom, garlic, onion, jalapeno pizza!

I vote industry, though a "choose your own embark" would work too, obviously- though those preferences are a pain to reroll.

note to self: if entering, remember to embark as dwarves, not as other vanilla civ.

edit: I didn't spot if it's been mentioned, but what is the time frame on the competition, i.e. duration and whatnot?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »

For a start from Scratch set up I suggest this, It is a reconstruction of my first suggestion, it has a Start from scratch feeling but at the same time its mainly works on the fact you only have one pick to start off with...

What I have noticed that is if the Embark location stays the same, we will be starting without a Wagon. Which is kinda dangerous cause of the no flat ground...

But I can find a way anywhere...

The fact that everything is lost on the Edge of the Mountain sounds like it will be even harder to start up this Fortress...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2009, 07:04:55 pm »

like above, but instead of people starting with several professions, they get +2 wrestling
(also, mining trains so quick that giving someone greater than novice miner is a complete waste)
7 picks is a bit much, 3 is reasonable.
for the bars/ore, bring 5 tetrahedrite, and either 3 bauxite or 3 flux

5 of each seed, 20 for plump helmets.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2009, 07:13:02 pm »

edit: I didn't spot if it's been mentioned, but what is the time frame on the competition, i.e. duration and whatnot?

Contest Duration is going to be 4 weeks for entrants, due to school starting soon. I'm currently trying to decide between 6-8 In-Game years, but less may be better, as 8 years can be a commitment for some of us!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52