Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96255 times)

Tykk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: Survival Challenge - Signups Are Open!
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:08 pm »

I'd like to join in if I can ^.^

Wouldn't mind trying a challenge.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2009, 02:32:02 pm »

Will everyone take a pledge to not use Reveal???

Considering I don't even know how to... of course.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2009, 02:59:31 pm »

There's actually an exploit with the landscape you can do without using Reveal. With a 3D Dwarf Fortress viewer such as 3Dwarf using Reveal Tiles ON, one can technically find the approximate location of any underground features easily. I've used this many times before to locate underground rivers and magma pipes with nearly 100% accuracy.

Just raising awareness about this; even without Reveal, the underground features can still be found somewhat easily.

Of course, I don't plan on doing this. But to anyone out there who wants to do this... eh.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2009, 03:23:30 pm »

Pwahaha! Real DF Masters don't even use exploratory mining to find ores and gems and hidden features! They instinctively know exactly where everything is...

Zen and the art of Dwarf Fortress.

(Of course, this is more true than many realize...)   ;)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2009, 04:43:26 pm »

I'd love to play. Could I still sign up?

I prefer no military or ambushers, (generally 2 miners, 7 picks), no anvil, but due to the survival nature..
Also bringing wood, stone, bauxite (when avail), turtles, and a little ore.

Embark now! does seem to be full of survival win. Consider that my vote if its allowed.

I also vote for the cat fix mod to be included. And d#(13?) allowed, for its frames.

What also of things like atom smashers and other Dwarfly, but not quite physically possible things?

When we upload, can it be a region file rather than world gen and such? When I gen worlds on my mac, the random number thing means I end up with minutely different worlds.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:45:22 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2009, 07:15:21 pm »

If theres 14 people, and 2000 points, that makes about
142 points per person, so everybody can spend 142 points for themself?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »

By my estimates, we'd be embarking with a minimum of 500 dimple cup seeds. Still sound like a good plan?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »

I am going to spend all my points on cow leather toy axes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2009, 04:04:13 pm »

Oh yeah? I'm spending all my points on kittens. Even the partial points.

Look, its a sound strategy. The dwarves will have time to run while the nasties deal with the kittens. And then we get biscuits.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:57 pm »

Yeah but then what happens if they don't eat the kittens? A year 0 catplosion?

One of the starting 7 with 100 kitten pets! OH THE HORROR

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2009, 04:52:53 pm »

Sounds like I have your vote for bringing a few kittens along. Cats if you want it at year 0 :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »

I'm going to go with a "No" on that one. If everyone has the ability to allocate 142 points to something we'd just get malcontents wanting no seeds, wood, armor, weapons, or picks - and I don't think that not being able to dig in a terrifying mountain location with most likely no military dwarves (or weapons) soap and cheese makers who wrestle infinite amounts of skeletal mountain goats is either fun or possible.

I joined this competition because it seemed fun. Not because I'd be able to wtfbbqpwnlolggdoom every mountain goat this side of the sun, or because I thought it'd be awesome to embark with no picks/seeds/wood (select appropriate) in one of the most dangerous embark locations possible and hope to live past the first month.

Consider the fact that this is also a small embark area with plenty of infinite, aggressive [BUILDINGDESTROYER] enemies and I'd say that it'd be a challenge enough to survive with the standard embark tools, not to mention something inane and idiotic such as a crapton of cow leather toy axes. Remember, kids: just because it's a survival challenge doesn't mean it's supposed to be impossible!

I'd also HIGHLY dislike it if every single person on the planet picked some kittens to go along and then we'd be stuck shoulder-deep in fur while some zombies eat our barricade alive while we're left starving, dehydrated (remember, no water on this map!), and utterly and totally defenseless. Even in the case that there was a pick or maybe some seeds picked by someone who actually cared about this challenge actually generating some amazing results, there would still be -not enough- and the booze would come much too late. As I said, the Master's Challenge is (im my mind) about overcoming challenging odds and doing it with style. If you're left with what this challenge would turn out to be if everyone allocated points (with some strangely dropping out right before the game began but after they had selected their points...) then we'd have totally wasted hundreds of points on some miscreants who decided it'd be fun to take 20 dimple cup seeds and maybe a few ash piles and then just quit before the contest begins.

Also: skeletal enemies can't drop meat, and zombies drop rotten meat. That means we'd be left with ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD except the animals that pop up in the tiny non-evil area and maybe a piece of camel meat if someone wanted to actually do something somewhat useful. That means that as well as being unable to dig, we'd be unable to eat or drink, unable to chop down trees (except the wagon), nearly unable to farm (only the herbs gathered nearby would be anywhere near useful), unable to defend ourselves, etc. etc. etc. This would also remove any potential to aim higher than the goal as you literally -couldn't do ANYTHING-. An empty-wagon challenge is fine on somewhere like a wilderness temperate conifer forest, but in a terrifying mountain range it's just stupid and unproductive.

If this got passed I'd leave this challenge and not look back regardless of what I've said before.

TL;DR version: Hell no.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »

He was joking about the 142 points.  (Whether he knows it or not, he was.>:()   :D

When we upload, can it be a region file rather than world gen and such? When I gen worlds on my mac, the random number thing means I end up with minutely different worlds.

I don't think you're alone in that, and since such differences would not be noticed until after the final game(s) were submitted... yeah.  I think a game file would almost be mandatory.  Also avoids diffs in starting 7 dwarfs which (esp w/ cat-lovers) can make a big diff in the long run.

The cat fix is a good idea too.

As for d10 vs d11 vs d13, the game engine is the same - I'd think so long as the files are inter-compatible, it's all good.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:30 pm »

Also avoids diffs in starting 7 dwarfs which (esp w/ cat-lovers) can make a big diff in the long run.
Only going to bring it up one last time, then never again:  I'm not sure how this is a bad thing, and having everyone pick their own embark settings would be the simplest, quickest, and (in my opinion) the most fair of all options.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »

Idk if i'd have signed up if I knew it would be this long without starting.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52