Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96247 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2 Judging: It's Actually Happening This Time!
« Reply #720 on: January 29, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »

I actually just got a scorecard from Metal Militia, and am forwarding it to you, Jim.

As for the rest of you judges, do your judge thing! Or you don't get any pixelated shinies!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:36 pm »

I have Metal Militia's scorecard.

I have no one elses'.

Judges, what's the holdup? I don't want this to take forever. You owe it to the players to complete what you've signed up to do.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 01, 2010, 03:12:33 pm »

To be fair to the judges themselves, they signed up to do it a long time ago. Many people are no longer hanging around the forum until the new version comes out. You could consider recruiting new judges?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 01, 2010, 03:37:48 pm »

I could. And I am. But the judges I listed reconfirmed their intent after I PMed them shortly after I took over.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I heard anything at all from them, but they're not talking. Not to me, anyway.

Of course, if there's anybody who wants to take a look at some DF saves and a few 3D pictures and make a numeric judgment in ten simple categories, I most certainly won't turn them down.

How about you, The Architect? Would you like to be a judge?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:42:26 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 01, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »

I don't exactly feel that qualified to judge, but if it's a simple "X/10" score on a number of criteria, I'm up for stepping in. I'm decently busy, but I imagine I can get you the scorecard sometime tomorrow. Off to find all the saves and judging criteria.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 01, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »

Excellent, I'll add you to the list of judges, then.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 01, 2010, 07:27:48 pm »

Arg, had everything good and settled a few years in and then the magma man finally struck. Along with a goblin ambush. My sole champion standing guard over my fortress, struck down the goblin siege easily, it wasn't his first time. He protected the entrance which was simply two down-ramps (I'm not too good at above-ground constructions, was planning on carving two statues in a huge underground room instead :P) Anyway, before I get too off-track, the magma-man lit my woodcutter on fire, who proceeded to walk inside the fort and light the booze stockpile on fire. Many died, but a few survived. Many of them nows !!Dwarves!!. Most of the survivors died of melancholy or berzerking, except for my champion who I'd renamed El Poncho. I set him to strike down and berzerk dwarves. Nonetheless a new-born baby (About a month old) crawled into my fishing pools just above the aquifer where most of my dwarves like to roam. He generated a startling amount of miasma, which didn't help at all. The mother went berserk, got owned. Under the aquifer I had an extremely good magma forgery constructed, with magma waterfalls and catwalks, I'm most proud for it. My dwarves used these as drowning pools once I locked the unlit dwarves underground, along with a hefty amount of food and booze to outlive the !!Dwarves! upstairs. As I said, it didn't turn out well. I should lock my forgery somewhere away from the populace next time. El Poncho killed himself. by jumping into the pit my aquifer breach made. Repeatedly. Apparantly he didn't like water or magma, since both of them were available to him. Oh yeah, and before that he threw a tantrum and killed an ambush while in it, gaining a noticable thrower skill.

This was my funnest fortress yet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:29:38 pm by Eztuzt »
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 01, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »

This was my funnest fortress yet.
This
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 02, 2010, 01:03:03 pm »

One of the primary reasons I enjoyed this was in comming up with a challenging location, that might present contestants with a scenario they've not tried before. The combination of Evil Marsh critters, multiple aquifers, an open magma pipe, and so on seemed like a good blend of challenges and opportunities. I'm glad people liked it.

Anywho, the sooner judges get their scores in, the sooner the next round can get under way. Keep them comming, folks.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 02, 2010, 03:43:43 pm »

The genius of the site was the ninja spawns. That was fantastic. Elite gobbo bowmen spawning inside of two defensive layers... I sooooo want the ability to dial that up intentionally.

And I've been pretty busy lately, but a lot of the bits are already together for DFM3. I should get an update and some rules posted either tonight or Thurs. DFM3 needs a few more judges, however, but I suspect thats due to me not having more info up on how much work it will/won't be.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 02, 2010, 03:48:00 pm »

Yea, theres alot of potential unanswered questions there about how we are doing it and handling various stuff.

You also need to explain the categories, or something.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 02, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »

The categories are already worked out in some detail, as is how they'll get scored. I just don't want to hand out the test question ahead of time, if you know what I mean. I intend to give some rough sketch of how it'll work, just so people know approximately what to expect. The details will land when the map does - and also because some of this is still subject to change as Toady works on the next version, so there's a fair bit of guessing on my part, but most of it won't take more than a few minutes to nail down once its released, but I can outline broad strokes now.

I thought Sol did a nice job of switching the map expectations on DFM2 so nobody could pre-plan. That's kind of what I'm aiming for.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 02, 2010, 04:38:13 pm »

Yurgh.

I don't like playing truant officer. The judges who haven't logged on in a week I've removed, and the judges who have been on and haven't been talking to me I've scolded contacted.

So I'm going to need new judges.

ATTENTION: THE DFMC 2 NEEDS MORE JUDGES!

If you have the time to look at the saves of a few people's fortresses, and you have enough time to make a numeric judgment from 0 - 5 in ten simple categories, and you have a pulse, You are qualified to be a judge!

If you were a player but couldn't finish your fortress, then I'd say you're a pretty good candidate for a judge. I'd greatly appreciate it if a few of the competitors who didn't submit fortresses would take a look at the completed entries.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:44 pm »

I don't think I got any ninja spawns when I did my run which was kind of disappointing. I still had plenty of fun with the aquifers (I came very very close to flooding my fort several times).

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:28 pm »

Submitted my scorecard. I actually had a really good time checking out each submission in incredibly detail. Most I wouldn't have even guessed were the same map. I encourage anyone else to take a shot at judging as well; I didn't think I'd be up for it, but it worked out well.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52