Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96296 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »

how do i do it?
(i did this http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/File:Aquifier_cavein_1level.jpg)

Here's the complete Wiki Thread on Aquifers.

What you did, I'm assuming, is Constructed a square of walls, and collapsed them down into a pit? Constructed walls fall apart when deconstructed/collapsed. You must sink Natural Soil or Stone into it in order to perform a Cave-In Aquifer Breach. It gets more complicated with Dual Layer Aquifers though... so perhaps one of the other solutions would give you some ideas.

Gonna try this time with Stairs, Water can be pumped through stairs right???

Don't see why not. Water flows down 'em fine. If only for Dwarven Science, why not give it a shot?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2009, 06:14:37 pm »

no, i used the natural walls to drop into the aquifer, not wooden ones.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 31, 2009, 07:37:27 pm »

Sol, you realize the poll is locked?

And will nobody bring me enough picks?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2009, 07:42:34 pm »

Nope you can't Pump UP a Stairway...
You must channel the Downward Stair away first...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:23 pm »

Anyone else getting Ninja Immigrants???
Second set already, first time I had to restart, fucking Ramps no doing their jobs!!! Bloody hell what is with that, the damn Dwarves won't path through them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2009, 09:32:45 pm »

Ramps are tricky, you're probably building them wrong. (Read the wiki).

Pumps should suck any water below & next to the intake tile. 
Try channeling.

The megaproject is pretty mega. I'm getting nervous about it now.

Relax - you have 8 years to get nervous! Things haven't even started to go wrong yet!   8)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2009, 03:20:56 am »

ok, so i made 3 attempts to get through the aquifer.

all failed.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!
 >:(
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2009, 03:32:21 am »

a thought for rule clarification/adjudication later on:

Projects

Are we gonna do the same as last time and have 1 mega-project (last time was the Bridge / this time it could be of each player's choosing) and 4 minor projects? Or just 5 projects, to be put in by each player, of their choosing?

By 'put in' I mean flagged up on the map upload as the project, hopefully with a description there, so that judges can look at the maps and click to visit each project and check it out...for some map spanning projects the flag is used just to point the judges in the right direction rather than actually point to the project itself (it's obviously too large).

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2009, 07:39:21 am »

Hold on... Are we supposed to build any mega projects?

Edit: Are we allowed to use something like, say, Dwarf Therapist to organize our dwarves better?

(I've edited this post about 5 times now)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:56:56 am by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2009, 08:29:47 am »

Hold on... Are we supposed to build any mega projects?

Edit: Are we allowed to use something like, say, Dwarf Therapist to organize our dwarves better?

(I've edited this post about 5 times now)

i suppose it's not clearly stated, but what's a fortress without a mega project or four?

from solifuge's rules:
you must not use external tools which can alter the world, the state or behaviors of an individual Dwarf (I.E Dwarf Foreman/Manager/Companion)
He doesn't explicitly name Dwarf Therapist there, but given that it was based off Dwarf Manager, i'd say it's a no no....

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:18 am »

My read is that it's just 5 projects. The last one was really that way as well, it's just that one of the projects was specified. Some of the bridges weren't really any more 'mega' than the other projects (such as damming the river). At least in my case damming the river was much harder than the bridge.

I've personally chosen to do a megaproject due to the map, but I don't think a survival challenge should mandate one, to be honest.

Anyway, first gobbos, all dispatched with dogs marksdwarves and some drafted woodcutters. Little bastards spawned inside my outer defense line, so I need to double up on things. Not sure why they are doing that on a square map - I thought the 'rectangular map' rule was well established. I guess not.

My first aquifer pierce on my 2nd attempt didn't happen until spring 2nd year due to it being substantially more complicated than the first attempt. Finishing preparations for the larger pierce which should be completed in the 3rd year, I think. Then I have to scramble...

I'm pretty sure I have enough time to do my project (9 miners so far and enough metal to make at least a dozen more picks if I need them). I'm just not sure it's possible to do on this map.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2009, 10:13:37 am »

The part I'm not clear on... do all 5 projects have to be focused on defense? I can think up maybe 2-3 projects with a defensive flair to them but after that it seems a bit... redundant. The rest would simply be dwarfish.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2009, 10:15:14 am »

The part I'm not clear on... do all 5 projects have to be focused on defense? I can think up maybe 2-3 projects with a defensive flair to them but after that it seems a bit... redundant. The rest would simply be dwarfish.

i belive thats the whole point. for example in DFM1 i built an obelisk which just served as a cool project where as the bridge was also a chunk of defense
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

If you look at my submission, some of the projects were a bit of a stretch. One was a 45 tile long, 3-wide bridge with some traps on it. My main project was so massive that I just didn't have the manpower to pull off side projects of any size.

Since this is a survival map with a number of survival challenges, I'd focus on what each of those challenges are and center a project around that. In this map, I'll easily have 5 'survival' projects, of which the megaproject is one.

Oh, and Realm, don't give up. The last challenge I had to run off to a different map and practice damming a large river. I think I spent something like 4 days just figuring out how to do it (it's a fair bit different - and more complicated than my usual small river method). There are quite a few aspects of DF that I've never gotten around to mastering and that's why this is appealing to me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:35:41 am by Martin »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2009, 12:17:40 pm »

There's a new poll up, btw!

As I understand it, Sol's restrictions were not to do what's not possible in the vanilla game.  That is, you could use DT for organization or to see experience, etc, but not to do anything that you could not otherwise do - no giving children hauling jobs, no using the Noble's Plant Gathering skill, etc etc.

But for organization, viewing, renaming - sure, I think that's kosher.

This is an honor game - anyone could cheat, but that's weak.  (And there are ways to tell... we have ways...)

Edit: Sol's  words:

2) Similarly, you must not use external tools which can alter the world, the behaviors of an individual Dwarf (I.E Dwarf Foreman/Manager/Companion), etc. External Tools used to report information are allowed ONLY if there is no other way to get the information: for instance, viewing Tile Temperature, or Full Combat Text is permissible,...

So, if the behaviour is not modified, it's good to go.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:22:34 pm by Albedo »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52