Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Modding Items [read: ammo]  (Read 2376 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Ammo
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 07:11:32 am »

so giving bullets bludgeon damage would cause them to act like hammers...

...wait, you think that's a bad thing. It can lead to some spectacular sieges  :P

There are certain types of ammunition that do just that though, so you could probably just mod in high-impact bullets. Which I did. A goblin flying halfway across the screen after being shot is hilarious to watch.

Sounds pretty Hollywood to me. Do want!
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 07:58:04 am »

On a slightly unrelated note, are siege engines hardcoded?

Siege Ammo isn't....hehehe..

flaming ballistae arrows...oh the possibilities...
Magma Catapult?  Must be built over magma channel, with firesafe (necessarily Adamantine?) catapult parts plus block, tube and screw.  Loading == pumping, firing == ballistic magma blob.  It not only acts as a standard balistic mass (with intrinsic flight-path damage to hostiles, friendlies, constructions and scenery alike via heat, c.f. ballista-bolts with whatever form of damage they inflict upon things), but on landing is also a 7/7 magma to flow and evaporate as it will[1].

Various operational factors (extended pumping effort, need to maintain if materials aren't fully magma-proof, possibly heatstroke effects on operators) could ensure a degree of balance.  And it's probably not possible without tweaking the hardcoding, and probably beyond Toady's tech level intentions, but pretty close to the magma-cannon concept that I see bandied around.

[1] A quick thought occurred to me that in such a setup a strategic set of 1-deep bridges capable of being raised or lowered along the catapult's firing line would let fine tuned 'dropping' of damaging magma-blobs on a lower Z-level in a way that you can't do (for damage purposes, lestwise) with standard catapulted rocks.  Unless the constructions can't withstand the flightpath damage, of course. :)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:38 am »

I wonder if you could pack more than 7/7 magma into a magmapult. When it hit its target, not only would you get the normal flow and burning, but it would act like an explosive ball of magma, shooting out due to incredible pressure and flooding the nearby area with vast amounts. Obviously it comes with all the traditional dangers of magma, plus the fact that you need a constant supply to keep your magmapult batteries running. I really just want AoE catapults and mines, that's all :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35:01 am »

My custom race loved cold temperatures and essentially had a cold aura. Because I have no idea how to do ranged innates (for psionic abilities), I gave the critters a punch damage of 8-15 and assigned [COLD] damage to it to mimic the nasty effects of being caught within that aura.

... the dragon never saw it coming.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 12:56:35 pm »

Yeah, we have immolate for fire, but with rawification will come the ability to cause auras of any type.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »

As I'm now pretty much just using this as a thread in which to ask ammo-modding related questions...

Is it possible to add the [CAN_STONE] tag to ammo?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »

Almost certainly. Go try it, it'll take a second or two.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 03:13:02 pm »

The flying +Microline Bolt+ hits the dwarf in the right thumb!
It explodes in gore!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »

The flying +Microline Bolt+ hits the dwarf in the right thumb eye!
It explodes in gore!
Fixed that for you.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:29 pm »

The flying +Microline Bolt+ hits the dwarf in the right thumb eye bollocks!
It explodes in gore!
Fixed that for you.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

Drat. Why does every modding idea of mine end up failing miserably.

Ammo cannot be made out of stone. curses.
Ranged weapons, and all other weapons can though.

I might try adding it to armor next...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »

Drat. Why does every modding idea of mine end up failing miserably.

Ammo cannot be made out of stone. curses.
Ranged weapons, and all other weapons can though.

I might try adding it to armor next...

Stone armor would be a pretty cool idea, if unwieldy. You could give it flavor by giving it high damage reduction but making it extremely heavy. Or something.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 12:43:24 pm »

A stone armour would suck, while incredibly efficient at deflecting slash and pierce blows, bludgeon would destroy it piss easy.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 02:57:42 pm »

Hmm... Can you use the temperature tags (IE FIXED_TEMP, IGNITE_POINT, ETC) on anything other than creatures?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »

A stone armour would suck, while incredibly efficient at deflecting slash and pierce blows, bludgeon would destroy it piss easy.

Yeah, that would be ideal for a superstrong hyperprimitive race, like Ogres or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4