Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A segregated fortress.  (Read 2340 times)

Jat Goodwin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A segregated fortress.
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:56:12 pm »

For the record. Dwarf fortress can allow some extremely fucked up behavior. Now for my idea.

My idea is to make 2 fortresses in one kind of. One for all the female dwarfs, and one for the male dwarfs.

All the men will do the manly tasks like mining, smithing, ect.
All the women will do the cooking, farming, crafting, ect.

Now I'm trying to come up with a dwarf-proof "airlock" to  be able to trade stuff between the 2 fortresses without excessive micromanaging.

Currently my best plan up on the whiteboard is to have several airlocks between the 2 parts for different types of items that need to be sent between the 2 forts. In each airlock I will have a stock pile that will become filled, and once it is filled, I will flood it with water to flush any dwarfs or cooties out then one door will become locked and the other will open.

Discuss. 

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: A segregated fortress.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:23 pm »

Not enough DKK
The Dwarf Klux Klan
They bomb the homes of one of the segregated sides until a man named Urist Luther King steps up for dwarven rights and gets shot while standing on the balcony of his hotel room.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »

Whee

Airlock sounds like it'll work.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:04:47 pm »

I started a succession game that did something pretty much like that here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37805.0

Didn't do anything more complicated than a 'single lever to lower one bridge and raise the other at the same time,' and after that was vandalizaed we switched an even simpler pair of drawbridges that worked well enough.  Main problems:

- sometimes a dwarf would decide an item outside his designated fortress belonged to him, creating massive amounts of annoying "Dwarf cancels task 'Store owned item': cannot find path" spam

- Pretty much all the menus become much less useful, as it's hard to tell who is where.  This can be mitigated by using custom nicknames/professions though.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »

You could try using simple garbage dumps above a chute- designate whatever you want to be dumped, it'll get take to the only available garbage dump and dropped in the chute. Have one for each side and it should be pretty micromanage-less, asides from mass dumping designations.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:02 pm »

I would do it like this:

Code: [Select]
Z- Level 1

######
######
##...#
.....#
##...#
######
#...##
#.....
#...##
######

Z- Level 2

Code: [Select]
######
######
##   #
##   .
##   #
######
#   ##
.   ##
#   ##
######

Combined with some dumping zones, and you should get the general idea.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:37 pm »

Can't water cause rot and wear?  Or are items immune when in stockpiles?

Myroc's suggestion looks easiest, but I'd make sure the dumping level is much higher than the receiving level.  Ya know, so in case someone falls, only their corpse will be left to corrupt the opposite sex... and all that implies.  :-\
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »

Retractable bridges and dumping zones (stockpiles, perhaps?). It'll be a logistical and micro-management pain, but it should be doable.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 07:58:39 pm »

Flushing out dwarves with water will not work. Items are flushed A LOT easier than dwarves. I flush a lot, you know. (un-tiss)

The garbage dump thing works best, probably:
Build rooms with stockpiles. Designate the stockpiles in such a way that they hold everything the other half of the fortress needs. Same room gets a "garbage" chute that leads to the other half of the fortress. So you can designate for dumping and watch the transfer all at once. Micromanaging will be kept to a minimum once everything is set up. If you design the layout in such a way, that both fortress halves have their "transfer stockpiles" on the same screen, only thing you need to do is one big mass designation.

Only problem is... you cant use dumping for anything else, without bothersome micromanaging. Well... you can just lock the door to the "transfer stockpiles" and unlock a possible garbage dump area. Something like that.

Oh somehting else:
you could have a look at the waste disposal system in my sig. You can probably easily adapt it to take care of the transfer. Only one lever pull job, not a hundred dumping jobs. Will wear the items a bit, but first I would just check whether or not the dwarves can handle the periodic dumping.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:04:39 pm by Puck »

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:20 pm »

Or you could go on a systematic slaughter of all male/female dwarves except possibly one, to allow babies to replace the ones killed.

Yes, there is real-life examples. Hornets, for example, do it all the time to males whose sole purpose is not to reproduce. This would also be a fairly more in-tune with life example as I don't think I know of many animals who segregate their communities. And before someone lambasts me for this, this is a topic calling for the segregation of men and women for fun. What I'm doing is only slightly more morally depraved than that, ha!

However, given your idea I think it would be far simpler to assign all your females to masonry and all your males to something such as crafting stone objects (except one). When the time comes, make the one who isn't assigned to a job build a wall between the two areas and have them function as two different fortresses. This, of course, is only for temporary ideas on how to get them separate in the first place.

You could, in the meantime, have a literal wall that separates the sides, with a section of locked/forbidden doors that deny access inside or over them. While this wouldn't be a perfect plan, this is once again only for the beginning stages of segregation.

Once again, for a more real-life example discounting xenophobic six-year-olds then I'd point you to the first example, if you so saw you dwarves as little bugs to squash to your liking.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 08:56:06 pm »

Seeing as dwarves reproduce by spores, your wodwarves mights accidentally have baby male dwarves. You would need a special airlock between the dwarves and wodwarves, perhaps by recruiting the mother as she carries her baby, stunning her with a rockfall, capturing her in a cage and hope that the father steps up and takes care of the baby while the cages wodwarf is chucked into the garbage pit.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:17:43 pm »

As for seperating the dwarves:

I'd wait til I hit the popcap with immigration, then I'd create two big squads, male and female. Then send those squads to their respective parts of the fortress and undraft again.

Then build an airlock with a (or some) lever(s) inside, linked to nothing. Whenever a baby grows to become a child, set the workshop profile to only accespt that child, let it pull the lever and let the airlock do its magic. Should children not be assignable to levers, you might need to wait til they are old enough. Trying to trick children into deconstruct something inside the airlock will probably work... but not exact enough to seperate genders.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »

Wait, you can cage your own dwarves if they're stunned? I did not know that. Very interesting. ;D

Anyway, I was thinking of doing a project along these lines, it was going to be a convent, with the male dwarves serving is guards. I was planning to built it on a map with "other features" so hopefully I could get some tentacle demons in there eventually.
Akur Akir Akam!

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:55:03 pm »

Wait, you can cage your own dwarves if they're stunned? I did not know that. Very interesting. ;D

Anyway, I was thinking of doing a project along these lines, it was going to be a convent, with the male dwarves serving is guards. I was planning to built it on a map with "other features" so hopefully I could get some tentacle demons in there eventually.
Not stunned but unconscious; when there is a collapse your dwarves momentarily go unconscious and at this point you can capture them in cage traps, but let them out soon or they'll starve.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 05:45:54 am »

Seeing as dwarves reproduce by spores, your wodwarves mights accidentally have baby male dwarves. You would need a special airlock between the dwarves and wodwarves, perhaps by recruiting the mother as she carries her baby, stunning her with a rockfall, capturing her in a cage and hope that the father steps up and takes care of the baby while the cages wodwarf is chucked into the garbage pit.

Dwarfspores only germinate in maried wodwarfs. Being seperated, there should also be  no marriages.
The garbageshute concept is easiest to implement, but the flushing system can be made to be less micromanagy.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: [1] 2