Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Radioactive ores  (Read 3367 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive ores
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

All of you all who think that it's possible for dwarves to create a nuclear holocaust need to do some basic research on the technology needed to achieve such a thing and then reflect on how ridiculous it is to include it in Dwarf Fortress.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

nonono, that's the whole point:
If the dwarves were creating a nuclear holocaust, they'd do it ACCIDENTALLY.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

Like I said . . . look up the technology. There is no "accidental" creation of yellow cake and modern centrifuges to separate out the different isotopes.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

Using the wonders of dumping, you can place hundreds of walls worth of pitchblende in the exact same spot!  Then collapse a ceiling on them!

Critical mass FTW.  Needed to make my nuke work.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

I don't think that uranium should be included. It's not thematically appropriate for anyone to understand nuclear weapons or radiation, so it would poison your dwarves unless the player made his dwarves avoid it without really knowing why. You could add in alchemical/magical uses for it, but then it wouldn't really be uranium; it would just be a fantasy material that confusingly happens to be named after uranium.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

Agree with post above.  Nukes and stuff like that dont fit the setting at all.  Its a good thing Toady is in charge; I doubt he would add something this jarring to DF.  Though, a new magical ore like starfall iron or something could be nice.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

I think radon gas would be pretty neat.  I don't know much about its origins in the real world, except that it seeps up into basements and mines in some geographic locations...  Well, I think it would be fun to have horrifying rocks of death that spawn occasional radon miasmas that cause minor lung damage to anyone in the area.  Good idea to wall those places off quick (but what if there's platinum *right there*?).  Maybe the miasmas would even stick around and gather like water: You really don't want to walk through 7/7 radon gas.

I'm sure that's not the most realistic way of doing it though.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

If I ever manage to write the cmv editor I had planned, you'll all see what I imagine a DF nuclear explosion to look like... <evil>
*Ahem*

(of course hand-drawing 600 frames of dwarven destruction is gonna take a while... suffice to say, the ground is littered with ash and ground rock afterward, with the occasional bone. the mountainhome is gone, in fact most of the mountain is gone too, spread about the surrounding area.)

"...is a fine engraving of dwarves and a mushroom cloud. The dwarves are melting."

LN

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: Lord Nightmare ]

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Len B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

Pitchblende should be a required ingredient in the Finest Dwarven Mead.  It goes esplody already, so having the additional benefit of creating radioac... ahem, sickening miasmic vapors of Finest Dwarven Mist that cause all your surviving dwarves to gather together, harmoniously inhaling the delicious yet highly toxic vaporized remenants of their proudest brew is a bonus!  And then the dwarves start dropping like crack addicts, horribly mutating into puddles of maliciously malignant tumor-squid things, cannibalzing one another in a twisted orgy of fleshy hunger!!

Or it could make great tasting alcohol, that has just a bit more bite in both when the bottle is breached (**PHOOMPH!** "Now That-  that is some fantastic Dwarven Mead, boy.  Gitch yerself a mug a this!") and when boiled to the Boom point...

"Dwarven Apocalyptic Ale, made here in The Cancerous Hole of Drinking; by Dwarves, for Dwarves, from Dwarves!  Now with REAL Pitchblende!"

Len, "The Staplerlord", Mighty Evil Master of the Office Supplies.<BR>Len has been grumpy lately. He slept in a meager bedroom recently.<BR>Len likes bicycles, ninjas, the color clear, and succubi for their suckulence.<BR>  When possible, he prefers to consume souls of the marginally damnned just before the last spark of hope expires deep within.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

ohh i like the idea of noxious gasses that DONT disperse in closed environments.. (so you have to dig an air shaft thats uphill for the gas to travel)
The New Moo!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Len B:
<STRONG>Pitchblende should be a required ingredient in the Finest Dwarven Mead.  It goes esplody already, so having the additional benefit of creating radioac... ahem, sickening miasmic vapors of Finest Dwarven Mist that cause all your surviving dwarves to gather together, harmoniously inhaling the delicious yet highly toxic vaporized remenants of their proudest brew is a bonus!  And then the dwarves start dropping like crack addicts, horribly mutating into puddles of maliciously malignant tumor-squid things, cannibalzing one another in a twisted orgy of fleshy hunger!!

Or it could make great tasting alcohol, that has just a bit more bite in both when the bottle is breached (**PHOOMPH!** "Now That-  that is some fantastic Dwarven Mead, boy.  Gitch yerself a mug a this!") and when boiled to the Boom point...

"Dwarven Apocalyptic Ale, made here in The Cancerous Hole of Drinking; by Dwarves, for Dwarves, from Dwarves!  Now with REAL Pitchblende!"</STRONG>

Pitchblende isn't explosive, and radiation doesn't work that way. This is exactly the kind of "fantasy substance confusing named after a real substance" I'm talking about.

Additionally, all dwarves cannot be as suicidal as you describe in your first paragraph, or they world not survive world generation.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Len B

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Ok, don't like the name.  Thats what raws are for.

In the game on your computer, feel free to call it something else.  I suppose Pitchblende(TM)* can be named something else.

it's really nice to have options, to satisfy the most diehard fans who totally disapprove of naming an imaginary fantasy substance for a real one with imaginary fantasy effects on imaginary fantasy dwarves.

*Pitchblende is a licensed Trademark of Science, and is not to be used for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, without sufficiently scientific hauteur...

Seriously though, are you suggesting that the materials in Dwarf Fortress should be modeled after the properties of the real substance that inspired them?  Not me.  I'm hoping that Toady sculpts enough flexibility into the mod system to have the neat effects that are being talked about, no matter what they're named.

Len, "The Staplerlord", Mighty Evil Master of the Office Supplies.<BR>Len has been grumpy lately. He slept in a meager bedroom recently.<BR>Len likes bicycles, ninjas, the color clear, and succubi for their suckulence.<BR>  When possible, he prefers to consume souls of the marginally damnned just before the last spark of hope expires deep within.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

code:

Metalsmith's Forge
Forge Uranium sword    A   R

Those goblins will never stand a chance.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

baby_peacock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>I think radon gas would be pretty neat.  I don't know much about its origins in the real world, except that it seeps up into basements and mines in some geographic locations...  Well, I think it would be fun to have horrifying rocks of death that spawn occasional radon miasmas that cause minor lung damage to anyone in the area.  Good idea to wall those places off quick (but what if there's platinum *right there*?).  Maybe the miasmas would even stick around and gather like water: You really don't want to walk through 7/7 radon gas.

I'm sure that's not the most realistic way of doing it though.</STRONG>

This is slightly off topic, but that reminds me of how coal mining operations of yore would use canaries to detect lethal carbon monoxide and methane gas. The idea was that the canary would drop off before the miners, indicating that it was time to get the hell out of there.

I think this kind of scenario would be both more realistic and true to the setting than radioactive mutant dwarves and nuclear holocausts, but that's just me...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Len B:
<STRONG>the dwarves start dropping like crack addicts, horribly mutating into puddles of maliciously malignant tumor-squid things, cannibalzing one another in a twisted orgy of fleshy hunger!!</STRONG>

Besides the obvious of this not working, I doubt that'd look as cool as you think it does, due to the sheer nature of ASCII.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4