Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Radioactive ores  (Read 3368 times)

aoanla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Radioactive ores
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

It seems to me more that there are three positions on this suggestion:

That the radioactive ore be smeltable (or whatever) to make uranium, and hence the risk of nuclear explosion.

That the radioactive ore be primarily a source of additional danger of some kind (from conventional radiation sickness, to a more fantastic source of Chaotic mutation, ala GW and ADOM), but also have potentially non-weapon uses (for example, as an additional metal that Nobles can request items of / dwarves having a fey mood can request as raw material, or as an ingredient for a very rare, expensive glass type).

That this is a very stupid suggestion which doesn't fit in the spirit of the game.

Needless to say, I am in the middle camp. I believe that the attention to detail already shown in the game design and variety clearly supports the inclusion of uranite (pitchblende) as rare ore, from which you can produce (highly toxic, and very dangerous) uranium metal for craft purposes, but mainly as a source of creeping death. I do not necessarily believe that nuclear explosions are a reasonable consequence, although the treatment of the significant heating produced by closely-stored masses of uranium might lead to /molten uranium/ flows, which would also be amusingly deadly.
I do not see how this fails to fit into a fantasy setting.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »

And who says you can't get a nuclear weapon?

just turn the uranium into a sword... or even better. Make a uranium/Starmetal alloy, Sword. Starmetal is Meteoric Iron... OOH can we have space rocks hit stuff.

Starmetal is the legendary material of choice for blades.

HY DO THE DOGS KEEP EXPLODING?

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »

I'd support something like this but with a different name, such as Chaos ore or Warpstone.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »

Warpstone is copyrighted. and you play to much warhammer.

aoanla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PNB:
<STRONG>And who says you can't get a nuclear weapon?

just turn the uranium into a sword... or even better. Make a uranium/Starmetal alloy, Sword. Starmetal is Meteoric Iron... OOH can we have space rocks hit stuff.

Starmetal is the legendary material of choice for blades.</STRONG>

A lovely idea, actually. (I'm tempted to note that, as uranium is pyrophoric, you might even get a /flaming/ sword that way, but that would be silly...>.> )

Pratz Strike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »

Better way to get a flaming sword: have the smith and his boyfriend stay in the forge with all the doors locked for a couple days.

Also, pitchblende is a good idea, but it needs a very solid and definate use before anyone will even touch the shit for any reason. Otherwise, it's bloat for no reason.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 04:09:00 pm »

its what turns dwarves into mutants.

mrshirt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »

Although I don't know about uranium per se, other toxic metals, plants, or whatnot seem like they would have their places. Like lead, which is common enough and would have had many practical uses.

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »

Dwarves are too hardy for simple lead to poison them. THEY ARE DWARVES NOT SISSIES.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 10:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PNB:
<STRONG>Dwarves are too hardy for simple lead to poison them. THEY ARE DWARVES NOT SISSIES.</STRONG>
Which game have you been playing?
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

PNB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 11:25:00 pm »

its a sterotype... but come on, they eat infinite ammounts of raw food without getting sick.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

I have seen dwarves get sick and vomit all over the floor in training.  They hadn't even taken a serious hit that I could see.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Canuck-Errant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

What I meant by "nuclear holocaust fireball" was that, in terms of additional positive gameplay, that would be the only real use - dwarves don't need coffers that are "detailed in pitchblende. The coffer is faintly glowing.", nor do they need nuclear reactors.

IOW, I was being tongue-in-cheek. For realism, though, radioactive ores should be included. A radon threat might be a bit much though :V

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>Which game have you been playing?</STRONG>

No, he's right, they are hardy dwarves, but that's no reason why they can't be poisoned into growing freakish mutations and boils and have their hair fall out before throwing radioactive blood up over seiging goblins.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Well, I'm gonna say that pitchblende should be considered an ingredient in some exotic form of alchemists' potions. If and when dwarves can throw things on command, you'll be able to make simple bombs with pitchblende and nitroglycerin (from soap-making to acquire glycerin and production of nitric acid acquired via ammonia)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4